The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 16, 2002, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Question

We had a little discussion going on last weekend during a tournament about which mechanic is more reasonable - not to say better.

2-Man-System, w/ no runners on and an outfield hit, who should be at third to make the call? And why?

Have you made bad experiances w/ the PU covering third, or w/ the BU covering third?

Thanks.

Raoul
Old Tue Jul 16, 2002, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Raoul,
Why would there be any discussion or question of on this. With nobody on, BU takes batter-runner all the way to 3B. It is reasonable, it works, and it is standard mechanics. Always use standard mechanics unless you are with a very familiar partner and both of you agree to use something that is non-standard.

Steve M
Old Tue Jul 16, 2002, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

I've got to agree with Steve that the more you use the standard mechanics, the better off you are. Having said that, I've seen the PU call the BU off the play (works best late in the day of a tournament, late in the game) just to save the BU some steps. Not proper mechanics, but two advantages - 1) It does save wear and tear on the shoe leather and 2) The PU has a good angle for a tag play, but as always on a play at third - if the B/R slides toward LF side of base with throw coming from RF, tough to see if swipe tag makes contact.
** Reminder, even if you deviate from standard mechanics, make sure you talk and know who is covering so you don't have a double call.
Old Tue Jul 16, 2002, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

I have had PU on a tripple yell I got third?!?!?!?!?!?!!?
Why would I want the Pu to cover third. On a triple, I come inside, shuffel to second about 5feet behind the pitchers plate, and then scoot over to third. Now If The PU yells I got third. Now I have to stop, reverse my scooting, and make sure I can get to home if there is going to be a play.

NO THANK YOU.

Between innings, I will make sure PU knows I'll be taking runner to third.

Bob
NIF
Old Tue Jul 16, 2002, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up 2-Man No Runners - Go with Steve, SDUMP and Bob

Good calls guys, no other way to do it with single runner.
I have had partners ask me if I would mind covering 3rd in
this situation. Usually his reason is not too good. Bum
knee or sore ankle! Now by me taking 3rd as PU, he has to
turn and twist to come to plate in event something should
happen. Always seemed to me it would be easier on him to go
on with runner.

JMO

glen
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Tue Jul 16, 2002, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

This is more of a baseball mechanic. I like it on the 90 foot diamond. U1 simply does not go beyond "B" and if the play is broken at 3rd,he has a short trot from "B" to get in position inside the diamond for the call at the plate.(I think this is the current pro mechanic for 2 man crews.)

If a rundown develops between 3rd and 2nd, its bracketed without the PU having to run up on the play late.

I've used it in softball, particulary with the partner I'm usually assigned for middle school softball. He and I do a lot of VBB and its easy for us to communicate.

It may be odd to you old diehards, but you might want to try it a few times. When you rotate properly and end up with a rundown or call at the plate, you'll get complements on how well you were able to stay ahead of the play.

I appoligize in advance to the softball experts.

Roger Greene

Old Tue Jul 16, 2002, 07:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Roger Greene
Greene

[/B]
"I apoligize in advance to the softball experts.

No need to apoligize

I am not replying as a softball expert. [Only a couple on
the board qualify in that catagory]. Just saying that
you have no need for apology. Your post has merit and it
would work well with a partner you regularly call with. I
have found that by doing softball tournaments and games in
this area, that is a rarity. During NFHS games I don't see
same partner twice in a month.

glen

--Mark Twain.
Old Tue Jul 16, 2002, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

My pregame with new partner in 14U State play-offs 2 weeks ago..........Sunday morning........after 2 hours sleep.......

Me (BU)......."I will take BR to 3rd with nobody on....."

Partner....."Uh-huh".....

Me........"You take lead runner at third on all secondary plays, and I will cover home"....

Partner......"Uh-huh".....

Many other things gone over......but these are two that qualify here.......

First inning.....nobody on......ball hit into the gap.........I come in..........watch the touch of first........pivot.........move over for the watch of 2nd and hear.........."I'VE GOT THIRD".........Crap........

Think.......we wasted a good pre-game........!

And BTW.......that happened 3 times that game.........

I figured the UIC's were watching........and I did mention it to one of the Asst's who I was well aquainted with.......

Joel
Old Tue Jul 16, 2002, 09:46pm
In Memoriam

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by Gulf Coast Blue
First inning.....nobody on......ball hit into the gap.........I come in..........watch the touch of first........pivot.........move over for the watch of 2nd and hear.........."I'VE GOT THIRD".........Crap........

Think.......we wasted a good pre-game........!

And BTW.......that happened 3 times that game.........

I figured the UIC's were watching........and I did mention it to one of the Asst's who I was well aquainted with.......

Joel
Joel,
Three times, eh?
I bet your partner enjoyed the consistancy.
Lookin' good.
mick
Old Tue Jul 16, 2002, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

Roger,
No apology needed - any of us primarily softball types would be thrilled to work a game with you - and would probably work really well together.

For our HS games, the assignor rarely puts us with the same partner - and it's almost as rare that we have a partner from the same chapter. How's that for building familiarity.

I can see that for some in baseball - that is a longer run. But, ya know, even at 48, there may be one baseball player who can outrun me (just had that guy tonight and he does fly) and I have not seen any softball players who can outrun me. It's not that big a deal for me to take a runner into 3B on either diamond. I'm around 200 games so far this year so there have been plenty of multiple game weekend days too. And it's not that I keep myself in great shape.

Steve M
Old Tue Jul 16, 2002, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

Steve,

I got a year on you, I'be be 50 before the years is out.

Back in '75 whe I was just out of the Coast Guard, the other Deputy Sheriff's used to ask me to help them serve warrents on people who had a case of rabbit. I couldn't always outrun them, but I could stay with them until they ran into a tree or tripped over a wire fence. Nobody outran me for over 2 years, and then a kid I caught breaking in a business left me in his dust. The detectives arrested him two dayes later, and he committed suicide before trial, so there was still nobody in the county who had gotten away from me on foot. (I did lose a couple in vehicle chases though, and one of two that were in a vehicle I wrecked to end a chase.)

Getting to 3rd ahead of the runner is not the problem.
The problem comes, more so on the 90 foot diamond, when something screwy happens, such as your trucking on toward third watching the throw from left field, and as F5 catches the ball you realize the BR has revesed and is heading back into 2nd while F5 throws past you to F4. Now your looking up the west end of an east bound runner and you've got the rundown by yourself until the PU can get up the line to cover 3rd on a leg when you are chasing the play back toward 2nd.

Not a big problem on the 60 foot softball field, but on 90 foot bases, and players with 30 to 35 years less on them, it can get interesting.

And for a funny end to a long post: Calling a 15 & under softball game 3 or 4 years ago. Being played on a full size baseball diamond with a mound. Batter strokes line drive to right field, I'm hustling in, watch the touch at 1st, lookover my shoulder to pick up the location of F9 and the ball, and observe that BR will be tryinng for 3rd. Just before BR reaches 2nd I step in the dished out hole in front of the baseball pitcher's plate, trip, and make a complete somersault, ending upon one knee about 12-15 feet from 3rd base as the runner and ball arrive. BR slides under the tag, and I give a big safe sell from one knee. The fans on both sides of the field are on their feet cheering, and I'm just hopeing that no one appeals the runner at 2nd.

Roger Greene
(on a quite night at the office with too much time on my hands.)

Old Wed Jul 17, 2002, 05:50am
Official Forum Member

I have 17 years on Steve and 15 on you Roger. I still try
hard, and think if you ask Joel, do pret-tee well at staying
up with em. I am sure both of you will be there for the long
haul. Just don't anticipate, cause they never do what is
expected.

glen
--Mark Twain.
Old Wed Jul 17, 2002, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Cool

Maybe this will either keep us young, or kill us with a hart attack/heat stroke. (There are worse ways to go, and nothing to fear if you are prepared.)

Perhaps we could get together an do a game on your 75th birthday? I'll get 3rd for you if you are BU.

Roger Greene
Old Wed Jul 17, 2002, 10:09am
In Memoriam

Can I work that game?

Quote:

Perhaps we could get together an do a game on your 75th birthday? I'll get 3rd for you if you are BU.

Roger Greene
I'll take Right.
mick
Old Wed Jul 17, 2002, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Maybe this will either keep us young, or kill us with a hart attack/heat stroke. (There are worse ways to go, and nothing to fear if you are prepared.)

Roger Greene
Roger,

Funny you should mention heart attack. I had one 13 yrs ago,
had the surgery, triple by-pass, and have not had one problem
with the ticker since then.

glen

--Mark Twain.