The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Will Black Diamond-DFM-UMP Mask peel and crack (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/54069-will-black-diamond-dfm-ump-mask-peel-crack.html)

strike4 Wed Jul 22, 2009 08:56am

Will Black Diamond-DFM-UMP Mask peel and crack

I am replacing my mask this year and was considering the Diamond DFM-UMP lightweight mask.

Here is an ad for the Diamond DFM-UMP lightweight mask. It says that the silver will not peel or crack like the black one. I thought they were the same except for color. Has anyone actually compare the two side by side?

http://www.lestersupstatesports.com/...lack-p-14.html

Thanks for your comments.

outathm Wed Jul 22, 2009 09:39am

I took my old Schutt mask in to a place to get it powder coated. The plastic had cracked from a foul ball. Looks great and is surprisingly lighter.

You may want to try this before investing in a new mask.

NCASAUmp Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:30am

Here's an interesting thought that's way out of the box...

What about using some of the products meant for bluing firearms such as Cerakote? Assuming it will bond to the metal, bluing the mask's frame may help harden the finish and prevent the cracking or flaking. And "bluing" does not mean turning it blue - you can also choose colors like armor black, graphite black, etc.

I don't know if this would work. I've never tried it. If someone's willing to give it a shot, let me know. It'd only cost about $20 or so. Try it on an old mask and then bang on it with a hammer or something...

UMP 64 Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:45pm

Ump mask peeling

I have not seen the silver mask, but my black mask is peeling in a few spot.:confused: Not had other brands do this in the past???
I have a powder coat painter who I will ask if they will re-coat my mask.
Great idea! :D

NCASAUmp Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by outathm (Post 616203)
I took my old Schutt mask in to a place to get it powder coated. The plastic had cracked from a foul ball. Looks great and is surprisingly lighter.

You may want to try this before investing in a new mask.

How much did the powder coating run you, if you don't mind my asking?

outathm Wed Jul 22, 2009 01:37pm

Powder coating was $65. I was about to buy a new mask at $95. I can now use the same equipment I am used to and keep the strap/pads. I will eventually buy anew mask, but it is nice to have my old faithful.

UMP 64 Wed Jul 22, 2009 01:39pm

Powder coating mask

I have not had it coated wet, but I know they will have to burn the old paint off, then re-coat it. I'll let you know when I have it done. I will have to wait till they are running a gloss or semi-black.;)

JEL Wed Jul 22, 2009 02:16pm

My black Diamond started peeling. A bit of super glue put it back in shape.

When it becomes necessary I will media blast and use a 2K urethane myself (that's what I do for real money anyway!).

I did that with an older mask I had. That one went to the wife, then later the son. It is still in use and very presentable.

NCASAUmp Wed Jul 22, 2009 03:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by outathm (Post 616253)
Powder coating was $65. I was about to buy a new mask at $95. I can now use the same equipment I am used to and keep the strap/pads. I will eventually buy anew mask, but it is nice to have my old faithful.

At that price, I'd be tempted to try Cerakote. It's $45.

The only problem is that it would require baking the mask frame at 250 degrees for 2 hours. A metal mask would have no problem with that, but a hard plastic one? I don't know...

It's worth a shot (no pun intended). If it works, it'd kind of have a bad-a$$ element to it. ;)

derwil Wed Jul 22, 2009 08:04pm

I just bought an DFM mask from Ump Attire and it was powder coated. The salesperson said Diamond had recieved numerous complaints and changed their finish. I was one of the first to get the new style apparently. Ordered some black suede Wilson mask pads to go with it and I'm good to go.

Only thing I don't like about the mask was the head strap. I actually swaped it with my old one and sold it on eBay with my old mask.

outathm Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:49pm

The cerkote thing looks like a cool idea, but for $20 more, minus shipping, I will take the guy doing it for me.

NCASAUmp Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by outathm (Post 616332)
The cerkote thing looks like a cool idea, but for $20 more, minus shipping, I will take the guy doing it for me.

But think of how much bragging rights you'd have in being able to say, "I coated mine with the same stuff they put on guns...

Just kidding. ;)

Big Slick Thu Jul 23, 2009 08:34am

I have a 4 year old Schutt that started cracking. This weekend, I spoke to a Schutt rep to see if the company had any suggestions. She covered the cracks with Tuff Toe (that may not be the name, I didn't see the container). She did this on an off game of mine, and I had totally forgotten about it until the next day. I didn't even notice the cover up until I happened to touch the spots between innings.

kcg NC2Ablu Fri Jul 24, 2009 04:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 616334)
But think of how much bragging rights you'd have in being able to say, "I coated mine with the same stuff they put on guns...

Just kidding. ;)

he is dangerous enough out there ;)

NCASAUmp Fri Jul 24, 2009 07:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcg NC2Ablu (Post 616549)
he is dangerous enough out there ;)

Who, me? Nah, I don't pack on the field. Some days, I wish I could, though. ;)