The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 11, 2002, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

I umpire both slow and fastpitch leagues and keep anyone not on the team out of the dugout area. Problem is, not all the umpires in our association are following this rule (Rule 1 Dugout), which leads to...cmon Blue, nobody else keeps the kids, wives, or husbands that are not on the team out. Or when working locations where there are several fields you can see kids in the dugout on fields 2 and 4 but not on fields 1 and 3.

Has anyone else run into this situation?

Thanks,

Michael
Old Thu Jul 11, 2002, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

I only call youth fast pitch, and this is not a problem there, but you may want to also post your question on McGriff's softball board, specifically to a regular there named Ed.

http://www.gmcgriff.com/refonline/
Old Thu Jul 11, 2002, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Dugouts

I can tell you in our association it is pretty much ignored in the SP adult games and I have no problems as long as they stay behind the fenced area where they couldnt be hit with the ball besides that I have enough problems dealing with what is going on on the field to worry about who is sitting in the dugouts as long as they are not causing any problems

JMO

Don
Old Thu Jul 11, 2002, 07:16pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by MichaelVA2000
I umpire both slow and fastpitch leagues and keep anyone not on the team out of the dugout area. Problem is, not all the umpires in our association are following this rule (Rule 1 Dugout), which leads to...cmon Blue, nobody else keeps the kids, wives, or husbands that are not on the team out. Or when working locations where there are several fields you can see kids in the dugout on fields 2 and 4 but not on fields 1 and 3.

Has anyone else run into this situation?

Thanks,

Michael
Michael,
If you are a newer umpire, get used to this kind of statement. When we start umping we bust our humps learning the rules of decorum, only to have them wisked away by the reality of "We-do-it-this-way-here". Many "house cleaning rules", (pick up equipment, pick up the balls, get that bat) are ignored in local areas.
Just don't worry too much about it. Work on the action rules. That's where you'll be judged the most.

The best way to approach this type of question is with a question, something like, "The rules say (this), but is (something else) allowed in this league?"
By making such a statement, you are not becoming nit-picking, nor an OO (Overly-officious Official), you are letting the managers know that you are informed of the correct rule, but you are willing to be the open-minded umpire that, of course, you are. Their answer will explain how that league works. This is their league, not ours.

If you see a safety problem, voice your concern. But, if you feel really strongly about any neglected rule, enforce it the way you see fit.
mick
Old Thu Jul 11, 2002, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Dugout

Thanks for your responses.

Michael