The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Mens vs womens FP (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/53995-mens-vs-womens-fp.html)

Andy Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:45pm

Mens vs womens FP

I have been assigned to the Men's B FP national later this summer. As I don't do a lot of Mens FP regularly, I picked up a couple of games last night in a league in another town. I'm also working a Men's tournament in a couple of weeks.

My question for those of you that might do Men's FP on a more consistant basis is concerning the strike zone. It is my experience that the Men (both pitchers and hitters) expect a more compact strike zone. They expect the top of the zone to be just above the navel (about a ball width lower than the college definition), and the ball to be on the corner of the plate. The pitchers don't seem to expect to get the same width as a female pitcher (both inside and outside). These are my observations from my admittedly limited experience. I am interested in hearing any other thoughts.

wadeintothem Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:52pm

Just call your zone. Call a good zone, but I wouldnt term it "compact". Call the same zone you would at 18G level or NCAA. Dont call it to high or too low. For example, If you call a just low outside corner, they are going to figure that out quick and stay there all day - so you have to call a good zone. I can generally get through a game with only a couple of complaint.

Dutch Alex Fri Jul 17, 2009 01:35pm

I do the TOP-league of both sexes overhere. My strikezone with the men is just bigger than with the female. As long as I'm consistent they (the players) love my zone. "If I can hit it or reach it with my bat", I hear sometimes, "you call it a strike." That is somewhat over the top. But the top of my Male-zone is just below the arm-pit. The low strikes I call on the knee.
For women my top is called lower and the bottom is just above the knee...
The with though is the same...

Consistency is more important than the zone itself, better a constant small mailbox as a zone than a flowting zone.
Wade is correct, if they find out what you call (in the 1st inning) they will stick to it. And they can throw it just where you want them to throw it! All batters on that level can bat; long arms and even longer bats. So they will hit it!

Advice for on the bases: Keep tracking the ball and be quick on your feet...
Be even more alert. This game has more speed and power than the toplevel's (Elite) woman.
Two weeks ago, on the bases in A, I was nearly hit in the face by the batted ball. I was paying attention, but the ball was hit so late and yet so hard that it nearly surprised me... A quick dug in, the ball just missed me. Many laughs by all the players. I looked like a turtle they said...;)

wadeintothem Fri Jul 17, 2009 02:15pm

Ha! Me to. Been hurt a few times in mens FP.. dangerous game.

In fact, when BU, I walk the line about 25 down the line. I need evasion time. :cool:

Rachel Fri Jul 17, 2009 02:51pm

They just want a consistent zone. I call the same as I do for NCAA. I love it because they can do so much more with the ball.

On the bases being able to move is important. If you are walking the line on the wrong foot you may eat one.

kcg NC2Ablu Fri Jul 17, 2009 04:31pm

I give the "river" and give the ball at the knee as I drop my zone from the top a little bit because this is what Ive found kills the controversy in the strike zone for me. I havent had any problems with the ISC travel league around here, Just dont call an illeagal pitch lol:cool:

reccer Fri Jul 17, 2009 04:56pm

I give the "river".....

I googled fastpitch strike zone river.... no luck. Would someone please interpret what this means?

wadeintothem Fri Jul 17, 2009 05:11pm

agree in general, no ip's and I dont for ISC/NAFA stuff around here. I believe at ASA mens B Nats they will be calling the crow hop though.
river.. the lane between batters box and plate..

Rachel Fri Jul 17, 2009 05:21pm

Give the river - not the ocean (batters box)

Are there illegal pitches in men's ball? I think I called one about 6 years ago. They were not happy (either team)

ronald Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy (Post 615217)
I have been assigned to the Men's B FP national later this summer. As I don't do a lot of Mens FP regularly, I picked up a couple of games last night in a league in another town. I'm also working a Men's tournament in a couple of weeks.

My question for those of you that might do Men's FP on a more consistant basis is concerning the strike zone. It is my experience that the Men (both pitchers and hitters) expect a more compact strike zone. They expect the top of the zone to be just above the navel (about a ball width lower than the college definition), and the ball to be on the corner of the plate. The pitchers don't seem to expect to get the same width as a female pitcher (both inside and outside). These are my observations from my admittedly limited experience. I am interested in hearing any other thoughts.

When I worked in Houston many moons ago (2002), that is what I called and never heard a peep from anyone except one catcher who expected strikes in the river. I also played FP 25 years ago, and that is the zone we had and top flight umps did not call in the river. The players will adjust but they will know whether you are calling a pitch that is one inch inside a strike or ball and so will you.

SRW Sat Jul 18, 2009 02:48am

The river is that area between the plate and the batter's box chalk line... that 6" of umpire heaven.

ronald Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rachel (Post 615312)
Give the river - not the ocean (batters box)

Are there illegal pitches in men's ball? I think I called one about 6 years ago. They were not happy (either team)

They are enforcing the leap and crow hop at the Men's Worlds and the men are complying. They can push and drag.

bniu Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:22am

how fast do the men throw? I can't imagine very many men would begin pitching FP softball until maybe past high school/college? I routinely work girls FP softball and and men's baseball. I get 60+ in softball and 85-92 in men's baseball. After doing a plate in baseball, the softball pitches just look like floaters, even the 60mph from 40 feet away.

one thing I love is when a butch girl comes in as the catcher, I feel much safer since I know she won't let anything get by her, much like baseball catchers, i never worry about getting hit with them behind the plate. A petite little girl as catcher always gets me thinking about my safety...

Dholloway1962 Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rachel (Post 615312)
Are there illegal pitches in men's ball?

I was told that if the pitcher released the ball, it was legal :D

ronald Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bniu (Post 615935)
how fast do the men throw? I can't imagine very many men would begin pitching FP softball until maybe past high school/college? I routinely work girls FP softball and and men's baseball.

top level men 75-80 mph and when they get done leaping it is from probably 42ish feet (point of release). We discussed this somewhere way back and the math put it at 120ish mph. Now that 95 mph fastball seems to float too.