The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Wcos (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/53991-wcos.html)

ronald Sun Jul 19, 2009 05:52pm

Happy birthday? How many? 25?

greymule Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:11pm

The pointing foul in baseball was for scoring purposes. The common scorebook used even showed an example of how to designate a caught foul fly, e.g., F7f. A description of Game 5 of the 1964 World Series contained "Maris fouled to K. Boyer for the final out."

It's like ground rule double—it's wrong, but it's right.

SRW Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:53pm

Anyone catch USA/Canada in the 2nd inning when the 3BU started calling IP's on Abbott? USA Coach comes out - they have him mic'd - and his comment was something like, Why are you calling those on her now? You didn't call those last week up in Canada!

ronald Mon Jul 20, 2009 01:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRW (Post 615703)
Anyone catch USA/Canada in the 2nd inning when the 3BU started calling IP's on Abbott? USA Coach comes out - they have him mic'd - and his comment was something like, Why are you calling those on her now? You didn't call those last week up in Canada!

I saw it and had a question about it but no one said boo hoo about it. Jennie Finch was doing the same thing.

Good for him, she picks her foot up, moves it forward and pitches. Guess she does not like pushing off from the rubber. I wonder if this is what they have in mind when the talk about a rocking motion.

May be it is not a big deal at that level but she re-establishes her pivot foot. I have called this and until somebody tells me not to, I will still do it.

Coach did not argue whether it was illegal or not but why today and not yesterday.

IRISHMAFIA Mon Jul 20, 2009 02:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronald (Post 615709)
I saw it and had a question about it but no one said boo hoo about it. Jennie Finch was doing the same thing.

Good for him, she picks her foot up, moves it forward and pitches. Guess she does not like pushing off from the rubber. I wonder if this is what they have in mind when the talk about a rocking motion.

There is nothing illegal about a pitcher rocking as long as they can do it with both feet in contact with the pitcher's plate.
Quote:

May be it is not a big deal at that level but she re-establishes her pivot foot. I have called this and until somebody tells me not to, I will still do it.

Coach did not argue whether it was illegal or not but why today and not yesterday.
Abbott had the same issue in college. It often looked like she was just clearing her spikes of the PP and she would occasionally slide forward a bit. She had the same issue last year in this tournament, I believe. Sliding forward, also, is not illegal UNLESS the pivot foot loses contact with the PP prior to the motion creating the drag and I think that is where Abbott gets into trouble.

Ref Ump Welsch Mon Jul 20, 2009 02:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRW (Post 615703)

Must be the humidity in the Oklahoma air! :D

ronald Mon Jul 20, 2009 04:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 615733)
l UNLESS the pivot foot loses contact with the PP prior to the motion creating the drag and I think that is where Abbott gets into trouble.

That is what I saw.