The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Scoring Question: Error vs. Hit (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/53974-scoring-question-error-vs-hit.html)

Shmuelg Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:52pm

Scoring Question: Error vs. Hit

This situation, I think, has happened several times, and the scoring program we use (FixedIt!) here in the 18th Maccabiah does not allow me to do what I want to do:

Sitch: Pop-up to foul territory, easy out, first baseman comes in to get it, expecting to get it easily, BUT of course drops it. Foul territory. Obviously a foul ball, and the blue called it that way. Good call. IMO, an error.

Next pitch, the batter hits a solid single to right-center. No error on the hit.
(End Sitch)

So, I WANT to charge an error to the first baseman, yet I need to give a hit to the batter. The run (he did eventually score) should be unearned. BUT the program doesn't let me do this. If there is an error, then the BR gets on base via the error, and does not get a hit. Yet if I score a hit, the run is earned, which it should not be.

First of all, am I getting the scoring intent correct here? A hit, but an error also and the run unearned?

Second of all, is anyone aware of how I can "soft-shoe" around the dumb program? Maybe use another one? But all the programs I have seen behave the same - Either an error or a hit, either or. Never both.

(what I did in the meantime is to ignore that flubbed pop fly. So the run was earned, the batter got a hit, and the 1B did not get charged with an error).

Thanks

NCASAUmp Wed Jul 15, 2009 01:34pm

Hi, Shmuelg,

I don't think you'll find a good answer here. This forum is meant for officials (umpires), not scorekeepers.

You may have an easier time on a place like eteamz.com or heybucket.com.

Good luck!

greymule Wed Jul 15, 2009 03:12pm

Schmuelg, your program simply isn't capable of handling all the possibilities. But yes, error, hit, unearned run.

On another matter, do any of your guys ever work YSISF?

NCASAUmp Wed Jul 15, 2009 04:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by greymule (Post 614846)
On another matter, do any of your guys ever work YSISF?

Oh sh1t, I'm not bold enough to go there!

SethPDX Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:57am

Shmuel,

I posted this response in the baseball forum as well.

I use FixedIt when scoring games for a company that collects stats for the Minor Leagues here in the US. This is what we have been instructed to do for this case. I tested it in an old game and it seemed to work:

Enter your foul ball as you typically do, select "ok" at pitch data window. Now at batter window go to "details", at "Details window" in lower right is "Other Errors". On line one, enter player getting error from drop down menu, next under error type select "foul pop error" from menu.

Hope this helps.

NCASAUmp Thu Jul 16, 2009 07:27am

Hmmm... I stand corrected. You just might get an answer here after all! :)