The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 29, 2009, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Rule 6 3O enforcement - 20 second pitch rule

What is the proper way to enforce 6 3 O?

Ive used the rule several times this year when the batters start the "take control time outs" (often I wont give it because I'm going to award them a ball if I dont get a pitch) and/or coaches are lagging with the signals. Usually call 1 or 2 and they get the hint.

But what is the most proper way to enforce it?

I've been declaring dead ball, ball on the batter. But the rule doesnt state the ball is dead and in the exam its not an illegal pitch. Its not really a DDB since you are stopping play.

Once I did say illegal pitch and learned my lesson, coach wanted his bases until I explained the "new rule" - but I stopped saying that.

Whats most proper way to enforce the time rule?
Old Mon Jun 29, 2009, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

Proper? I'm not sure. I put my hands up, announce "Dead Ball", remove my mask (Silently absorb all the oohs and ahhhs from the hot moms), step out to the side of the plate, announce the infraction, announce the penalty retake my God given position that everyone loves to hate and point to the pitcher and say "play" and

Last edited by PtotheB; Mon Jun 29, 2009 at 11:02pm.
Old Tue Jun 30, 2009, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PtotheB View Post
Proper? I'm not sure. I put my hands up, announce "Dead Ball", remove my mask (Silently absorb all the oohs and ahhhs from the hot moms), step out to the side of the plate, announce the infraction, announce the penalty retake my God given position that everyone loves to hate and point to the pitcher and say "play" and
While the number of ooohs and ahhhs you absorb from hot moms is only very slightly inferior to mine own; the main thing is I dont want to do is screw up what I say at nat's. I think dead ball is PROBABLY correct.. but the book doesnt say it so I just want to be sure.

When you arent granting time to a batter.. do you just say "Play!"?

Thats what I say.
Old Tue Jun 30, 2009, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

I am not aware of a specific ASA mechanic for this; it is a new application for a new rule, where previously none existed. I use the NCAA mechanic, or a version of it.

I personally do not ever grant "take charge" or "I'm tired of waiting" time outs. The rule is the pitcher has 20 seconds; period. The batter doesn't get to choose pitch on demand at her timing. So, if a batter requests time, I first say "no", if requested again, I say "play". If the batter steps back and pitcher also steps back, I direct both to continue play by saying "Time was not granted. Play ball." If the pitcher violates the 20 second count, I step out, declare "Dead ball. The pitcher has violated the 'time between pitches' rules'; that is Ball 'x' on the batter. The count is now ....." Step back in, and say "Play".

This should be correct because time is out whenever the plate umpire is attending "other duties"; like making a ruling and award. So dead ball for that reason.
Old Tue Jun 30, 2009, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

every time I have called this i have called deadball and inforced the penalty. I have done this in front of UIC's before so I am assuming that if I was all screwd up they wouldve said so by now

For all those who don't know ... Ed Hickox is the MAN

NFHS NCAA PONY ASA ISC USSSA
Old Tue Jun 30, 2009, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you steve.

With the rule change my patience for the take charge type BS has ALMOST fallen to your zero - I think I granted 1 single time in my last game. Its a big waste of everyones time. Also, batters talk to each other, so they quickly learn I dont do it and I dont even get asked too much after a few "plays".