The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Tournament this weekend... (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/53747-tournament-weekend.html)

NDblue Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:07pm

Tournament this weekend...

Well ladies and gentlemen, we're only a few days away from the world's largest slow-pitch softball tournament!!! :eek: The 34th Annual Sam McQuade, Sr. Charity Softball Tournament has 433 teams signed up to play this year. I'm not sure how many umpires are scheduled to work but I have 15 games to do starting Friday night.

If any of you umpires out there would like to umpire in this tournament in future years, let me know and I'll get you in touch with the tournament UIC and I'm sure he'll be happy to schedule you some games.;)

ronald Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:34pm

How close are you to Lakota, ND.? I have a brother there.

NDblue Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:07pm

Lakota is up between Devils Lake and Grand Forks so somewhere in that 225-230 mile range from Bismarck.

bkbjones Thu Jun 25, 2009 01:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by NDblue (Post 610685)
Lakota is up between Devils Lake and Grand Forks so somewhere in that 225-230 mile range from Bismarck.

So, about a two hour drive. ;)

Fozzie Thu Jun 25, 2009 07:18am

I have some umpire friends from Lincoln, NE coming up to work, and one from N.J.

Was invited up myself but for the 3rd year in a row could not work out the details. Wish I could be there with everyone. I hear its a blast and that they treat the umpires very well. Have fun and hopefully I will get to meet you...next year!!

Jeff Merriman

gumpire Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:09am

I used to go watch my dad umpire this tournament when I was a young teenager (mid-80's)!!!

I would LOVE the opportunity to "walk in his shoes"!!!!

Please do get in contact with me for next year!!!

Thanks.

NCASAUmp Fri Jun 26, 2009 07:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by gumpire (Post 610865)
I used to go watch my dad umpire this tournament when I was a young teenager (mid-80's)!!!

I would LOVE the opportunity to "walk in his shoes"!!!!

Please do get in contact with me for next year!!!

Thanks.

I still have my dad's old indicator. That thing is probably 25+ years old...

Still clicks! Been repaired a few times, but it still clicks!

Ref Ump Welsch Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by NDblue (Post 610674)
If any of you umpires out there would like to umpire in this tournament in future years, let me know and I'll get you in touch with the tournament UIC and I'm sure he'll be happy to schedule you some games.;)

Get in touch with me for the future tournaments. Thanks!

NDblue Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:08am

Tonight was a rarity @ The McQuade's tournament. We had a huge thunderstorm roll through town around 8 pm. About 3 inches of rain came down in an hour and a half. I barely got my 3rd game done when the skies opened up and a waterfall erupted from the sky. Only postponed one round though and they'll try to make that up at 6 am tomorrow morning but I'm not sure our parks and rec department can work miracles to get all diamonds ready by then. I'm hoping they can. My first game tomorrow is at 11 am.

NDblue Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkbjones (Post 610702)
So, about a two hour drive. ;)

Closer to a 3.5 hour drive.:cool:

SergioJ Sun Jun 28, 2009 09:22pm

I would love to come up there and umpire this great tournament. When I was stationed at Minot AFB, this was the first "big" tournament I had the honor and privilege of umpiring. I would go every year. The first time I went there was my first year of umpiring (1988). Went every year til I moved out in '91. Met alot of great people there. Let me know! Thanks!

Serg

IRISHMAFIA Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SergioJ (Post 611224)
I would love to come up there and umpire this great tournament. When I was stationed at Minot AFB, this was the first "big" tournament I had the honor and privilege of umpiring. I would go every year. The first time I went there was my first year of umpiring (1988). Went every year til I moved out in '91. Met alot of great people there. Let me know! Thanks!

Serg

Serg,

You were stationed at Minot? That explains a lot. :rolleyes:

Tru_in_Blu Mon Jun 29, 2009 08:32am

You were stationed at Minot? That explains a lot.

When I was in the AF ['69 to '73], Minot was where our "senior servicemen" threatened to send Airmen who goofed up. There and Loring AFB in Maine, which I believe is now closed.

I guess that was the closest they could come to the Russian equivalent of Siberia.

NDblue Mon Jun 29, 2009 08:40am

There are worse places in the world than Minot, ND. Can't think of any right now but I know they're out there. :) There's a reason we call it "Mindrot". Maybe one of the reasons I don't really care for Minot is because of all the chAir Force personnel (I'm prior Navy). :confused:

IRISHMAFIA Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by NDblue (Post 611273)
There are worse places in the world than Minot, ND. Can't think of any right now but I know they're out there. :) There's a reason we call it "Mindrot". Maybe one of the reasons I don't really care for Minot is because of all the chAir Force personnel (I'm prior Navy). :confused:

What is "prior Navy"? Is that before they learned how to build ships?