The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Sunglasses on top of head (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/53565-sunglasses-top-head.html)

NCASAUmp Tue Jun 09, 2009 07:35am

Sunglasses on top of head

What do you do when you see a player step into the box with sunglasses on top of their head (using it to hold their hair back or atop their hat)?

wadeintothem Tue Jun 09, 2009 07:40am

Gotta admit I've never seen that.

Helmet is usually in the way.

NCASAUmp Tue Jun 09, 2009 07:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadeintothem (Post 607605)
Gotta admit I've never seen that.

Helmet is usually in the way.

Okay, okay... Make it... F3 steps onto the field. :p

DeputyUICHousto Tue Jun 09, 2009 07:50am

Would it make a difference?

Couldn't it be argued that it is a safety issue? The defender may need them when the sun comes out from behind a cloud? Just kidding. If I'm wearing them why can't the players?

NCASAUmp Tue Jun 09, 2009 08:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeputyUICHousto (Post 607607)
Couldn't it be argued that it is a safety issue? The defender may need them when the sun comes out from behind a cloud? Just kidding. If I'm wearing them why can't the players?

Wear them, yes. But at 9:30 at night to hold your hair back? And it ain't Alaska...

BretMan Tue Jun 09, 2009 09:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeputyUICHousto (Post 607607)
If I'm wearing them why can't the players?

I doubt that you're wearing them on top of your head or to hold your hair back, as stated in the original post!

wadeintothem Tue Jun 09, 2009 09:36am

hmmm.

so he Deputy UIC of houston wears sunglasses on the top of his head.....

Do they match his base umpire ball bag?

;)

Dakota Tue Jun 09, 2009 09:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadeintothem (Post 607640)
hmmm.

;)

Are they navy with ASA in white block letters? :D

topper Tue Jun 09, 2009 09:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadeintothem (Post 607640)
hmmm.

;)

What's a Deputy UIC of Houston anyway? Been working ball here in Houston a while and haven't met one yet. Come to think of it, I haven't even met the Sheriff UIC. I guess I need to start making those meetings.

robbie Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:15am

In Indiana girls fast pitch, they MUST be worn properly. Otherwise they are considered jewelry.
Just a statement of state policy from the state director.

chicago11 Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:22am

i am not sure why this is an issue. especially if it one of those days that where the sun is in and out of the clouds. If I had to stop a game everytime the sun went away to have the fielders put their glasses away and then go back to get them if it gets sunny, games would take forever.

IRISHMAFIA Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chicago11 (Post 607670)
i am not sure why this is an issue. especially if it one of those days that where the sun is in and out of the clouds. If I had to stop a game everytime the sun went away to have the fielders put their glasses away and then go back to get them if it gets sunny, games would take forever.

In 100% agreement here.

Isn't seeing the ball just as much a safety issue as the remote chance sunglasses could slide off a hat and cause injury?

Even if worn correctly, are you going to require straps be attached to keep them from coming off and causing an injury?

And if I remember correctly, this question was raised with ASA a few years back and we, as umpires, were instructed to "leave it alone".

NYBLUE Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by robbie (Post 607664)
In Indiana girls fast pitch, they MUST be worn properly. Otherwise they are considered jewelry.

I believe it's the same policy here in NY state.
If necessary, I tell them at the home plate conference that sunglasses worn on top of the head/hat are considered jewelry.

IRISHMAFIA Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by robbie (Post 607664)

What state director? There is probably a couple for the fast pitch game for girls in the state of Indiana.

NCASAUmp Tue Jun 09, 2009 04:32pm

Back story

So here's what prompted the question...

Sunday afternoon, I was calling behind the plate when the lefthanded batter stepped up with sunglasses atop his cap. He hit the ball in the infield, and his sunglasses go flying. The catcher trails him to 1B, but in the process, steps on the sunglasses, breaking them into a bunch of sharp pieces.

That got me thinking, "you know, that shouldn't have happened. They should've been worn properly or not at all." At least if he wore them properly, there's not much anyone can really say if they fall off of his face.

Jump ahead to last night. It's almost 9:30 at night, the sun's long gone, and the lights are on (they're not overly bright - just adequate). The lead-off batter steps up, wearing her sunglasses on top of her head to hold her hair back. I (very politely and calmly) ask, "hey, batter... Can you do me a favor and either put the sunglasses on or take them off? You can't wear them like that." I don't know if it was the fact that it was getting late at night, if it was the playoffs, or if she was just plain cranky, but the batter refused. We went back and forth a couple of times, and I'd had enough. I called her team's manager over (who was next up to bat), and I explained to him that either the glasses go on, go off, or she doesn't play. In the end, she complied, but not without some hassle.

My thought process was that these are sunglasses that are meant to be worn on the face. Wearing them in a fashion other than the way they were intended is prohibited. If wearing a hat backwards is considered "sporting behavior," how would this be any different? Not to mention the safety issue brought up by Sunday's events.

Maybe I was just tired wanted nothing less than to deal with whiny players (it was the third game of the night), maybe I was just hungry (I get really cranky when I'm hungry!), maybe I was a bit OOO (I'll concede that), maybe some of all 3. I really don't know, but I'm curious to know other umpires' opinions as to whether or not they would even bother with something like this. And maybe, just maybe, someone has been down this road in an official fashion (ie., a State, Regional or National), and maybe, just maybe, there may be some insight to share.