The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   NCAA Super Regionals strike zone (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/53357-ncaa-super-regionals-strike-zone.html)

shipwreck Sun May 24, 2009 07:40pm

NCAA Super Regionals strike zone

I have been watching quite a few of these games. The umpires are really calling strikes when the ball is way outside. I know, I know, tv angles don't always give you a true look at the pitch location, but the ones I saw were from the CF camera. I have seen quite a few that were inside the opposite batter's box line. The one for sure was unhittable it was so far outside. Dave

IRISHMAFIA Sun May 24, 2009 07:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by shipwreck (Post 604396)
I have been watching quite a few of these games. The umpires are really calling strikes when the ball is way outside. I know, I know, tv angles don't always give you a true look at the pitch location, but the ones I saw were from the CF camera. I have seen quite a few that were inside the opposite batter's box line. The one for sure was unhittable it was so far outside. Dave

The UCLA coach didn't think so. For that matter, I think she believes they are a little tight.

Personally, I don't think they are that wide, but you know how those camera angles are.:rolleyes:

shipwreck Sun May 24, 2009 08:19pm

I guess I should have never gotten DVR so I can play back the pitches and plays. The game today UCLA vs Missouri, I only saw one outside and it was quite far out there. Darn camera angles. Dave

3SPORT Sun May 24, 2009 09:01pm

I thought the coaches were having issues with the ball calls at the pitches that looked at the knee. Again camera angles can be deceiving, but the catcher didn't look like she moved her glove on a couple of the pitches.

Andy Tue May 26, 2009 10:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3SPORT (Post 604418)
I thought the coaches were having issues with the ball calls at the pitches that looked at the knee. Again camera angles can be deceiving, but the catcher didn't look like she moved her glove on a couple of the pitches.

And who says the catcher's glove was in the strike zone to begin with?

A strike is determined by the location of the ball when it is over (or not) the plate, not where the catcher catches it.

kcg NC2Ablu Tue May 26, 2009 11:46am

the cameras are off-set in left center ... looking across the zone soooooooo angles can be decieving there were definately sometimes where I also was like.... WOAH that was out there but then again if you arent there you really cant tell that well at all

3SPORT Tue May 26, 2009 12:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy (Post 604612)
And who says the catcher's glove was in the strike zone to begin with?

A strike is determined by the location of the ball when it is over (or not) the plate, not where the catcher catches it.

Slow down - I was not talking about pitches outside or inside the strike zone, I was talking about pitches that appeared (again from the camera angles) to be at the knees.
Maybe they were low.

If you have it on dvr, then take a look but the zone looked a little tight but equal for both teams.

ronald Tue May 26, 2009 02:16pm

From time to time, ESPN will show 2 different camera angles that 1) reveal up and down and 2) outside corner.

1) Camera angle is perpendicular/facing the batter. You can judge whether the ball is below, at or above the knees but then have to figure where they are at in relation to the plate.

2) From behind the backstop. I have seen this angle on outside pitches only. IMO you can tell from the blur of the ball's path whether it passed over the plate.

Do they miss pitches? Yup. We all do. Do they miss more when there are two strikes? Hard to tell. But this is the pitch that you should not miss IMO.

As a vet stated, at the NCAA level, the ball should at least nick the plate (my understanding of what I read). Two inches outside should be a ball not a strike at that level.

And if you are really good like some, a sliver outside, a 1/4", is a ball.

IRISHMAFIA Tue May 26, 2009 02:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronald (Post 604681)
As a vet stated, at the NCAA level, the ball should at least nick the plate (my understanding of what I read).

Would that be the front corner or back? :D

HugoTafurst Tue May 26, 2009 10:12pm

Camera angle

FWIW.
Camera angle can affect up/down view also...
(just as an umpire's head height affects the look of a ball passing over the plate)

This s not a comment on what I thought of the zones being called, just a FWIW...

kcg NC2Ablu Wed May 27, 2009 10:56am

I know I didnt even think about that angle with the up and down. Most of the time at the TV games the CF camera is up on a scissor lift looking down and across the field.. that makes perfect sense now that its been mentioned

ronald Wed May 27, 2009 04:23pm

Mike,

Heck I don't know. I can't see the corners:D:D