The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Talk about yer knee-jerk reactions!

The state governing body of all public school competition in Texas, the University Interscholastic League(UIL), has decided to suspend all inter-school competition until at least May 11 because of the pig flu scare! I was scheduled to work a playoff series between two of the top ten ranked 4A schools this weekend. Talk about your buzzkills!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

This hysteria is quite idiotic.
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

I keep hearing that the medical experts saying that this flu is really no more dangerous than the regular strains, yet the media keeps hyping the crap out of it. Texas has canceled all high school sports, AZ has shut down an entire school for 7 days after a single student tested positive for it 2 weeks ago and they were saying on the radio yesterday that some countries were pulling pork products off the shelf because of the swine flu scare.
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Arent they slaughtering like 350K pigs in Egypt?
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
I keep hearing that the medical experts saying that this flu is really no more dangerous than the regular strains, yet the media keeps hyping the crap out of it. Texas has canceled all high school sports, AZ has shut down an entire school for 7 days after a single student tested positive for it 2 weeks ago and they were saying on the radio yesterday that some countries were pulling pork products off the shelf because of the swine flu scare.
This does seem to be a fairly mild strain of flu. The difference with the swine flu is:

1) We have no vaccine (which is normal for the initial outbreak of a new strain, so see #2)
2) The initial outbreak was in North America instead of the usual Asia, which means
a) American media is going nuts about it, as is their normal practice with anything they can make into a crisis, real or imagined,
b) The WHO and CDC are more concerned than they are about the usual Asia initial outbreaks due to the much higher global mobility of North Americans that your typical rural Asian.

So far, we have suffered through a devastating first week or so here in the USA and have see a total of 0.00003% of the normal annual deaths from the normal flu outbreak in the USA, and the normal death rate happens when we have vaccines available...
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

The flu vaccine is another big joke. They have no idea what strain of flu will hit for that year, so they just make a big guess and produce a vaccine for what they think will hit. If they guess wrong all those flu shots they gave have absolutely no effect.
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
The state governing body of all public school competition in Texas, the University Interscholastic League(UIL), has decided to suspend all inter-school competition until at least May 11 because of the pig flu scare! I was scheduled to work a playoff series between two of the top ten ranked 4A schools this weekend. Talk about your buzzkills!
My DD's high school is closed today because about a score of students (of four-score who just came back from a band trip to WDW) are now showing flu-like symptoms and a few of these have had a postive test for some influenza. They are supposedly disinfecting the whole school, while awaiting a response from SC DHEC as to whether it was swine flu or not.

This has, so far, had the side effect of delaying the first play off game for softball by one day, until tomorrow, because you can't have any activities if the school is closed.

So, Texas is not alone.
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

WhatWhats the big deal with the flu?

I kinda like the flu. You take a few days off work, lose a few pounds, clean out the system a bit. What's not to like?
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

South America (particularly Argentina) is going absolutely ape-spit over this swine flu (gripe de porcina). It's amazing just how much they cover the goings-on in America down here. My wife's sister suggested we get some of those surgical masks. Are you kidding me?

But hey, what can you do? Wife and I are scheduled to fly from Buenos Aires to JFK and back down to RDU on Saturday, arriving Sunday. Hopefully, things won't be too insane by the time we get there...

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 06:04pm
Official Forum Member

Dave,

Que diablos hace en Buenos Aires?
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

Personaaly I fear that they are being overly dramatic with canceling events here in New York and other effected areas. Until there is evidence of mass people with this strain normal precautions(hand washing,covering your mouth when coughing)should be adequate.
Old Fri May 01, 2009, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

Alabama has cancelled as well, but is shooting for a May 5th restart.

We have the first confirmed case in Georgia in my city (LaGrange) but are still living life as best as we can. Only difference I've seen is all the news trucks from Atlanta parked around the hospital!
Old Fri May 01, 2009, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

I think you'll be all right as long as you keep your tongue out of the pigs nose.. which its no wonder they are cancelling games in Alabama and Texas

Old Fri May 01, 2009, 09:58am
#thereferee99

First Question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
qui bono?
Old Fri May 01, 2009, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by referee99 View Post
qui bono?
I guess for their own! I am really not sure. Maybe to feed the paranoia!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.