The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 12, 2009, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

What would you do?

I was working single umpire "just-for-fun" tourney this weekend at one of our local fields. I ONLY do ASA rules, as do all the local fields.

After my 3rd game (of 6 back-to-back), the tournament director says to me....

"We get alot of teams from out of town at our tournaments and that's what makes our field good. Some of those teams don't usually play ASA rules so we need to bring the pitch ceiling down."

One of those non-ASA teams had lost in my 3rd game and had complained from the 1st pitch that they thought the pitches were too high. Some time in the 5th or 6th inning, they asked isn't the ceiling 10 feet? I responded that it was 12.

I believe that their *****ing to tourney director caused his statement to me....my thought was that maybe we should let them pitch according to other rule sets, or maybe swing bats legal in other assns. since we were willing to change pitch requirements.

How would you proceed from this point?
Old Sun Apr 12, 2009, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

I would make sure its understood from the pregame meeting. If the tourney rules are not clear or there could be misunderstanding - pregame is where that is addressed. Whatever ceiling (or any other rule) the TD wants- find out and thats it - just make sure its clear.
Old Sun Apr 12, 2009, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumpire View Post

I believe that their *****ing to tourney director caused his statement to me....my thought was that maybe we should let them pitch according to other rule sets, or maybe swing bats legal in other assns. since we were willing to change pitch requirements.

How would you proceed from this point?
Possibly offer my indicator to the TD and thank him for allowing me to get home for dinner.
Old Sun Apr 12, 2009, 06:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Possibly offer my indicator to the TD and thank him for allowing me to get home for dinner.
Do you really think this TD would know how to use the indicator......
Old Sun Apr 12, 2009, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelVA2000 View Post
Do you really think this TD would know how to use the indicator......
If he didn't - I'll bet Mike would be kind enough to tell him where to put it.
Old Sun Apr 12, 2009, 06:44pm
Official Forum Member

Thought about talking to local UIC or refusing to work further tourneys at that field. Either or both of these seem resonable?
Old Sun Apr 12, 2009, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thought about talking to local UIC or refusing to work further tourneys at that field. Either or both of these seem resonable?
If you made a commitment, you made a commitment and should tough it out. If the TD wants to change rules mid-tourney, that's his problem. Direct all complaints his way and wash your hands of it.

After that, think twice about calling his "just for fun" tourneys ever again.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Sun Apr 12, 2009, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

If you arent getting paid or if you simply dont want to work those tourneys (I know I wouldnt) - I understand that... and I say Run!

Other than that - whats the big deal?

Its their tourney. They hired you to enforce their tourney rules. So they change it - who cares? Ive had tourney rules change before- things get adjusted. This is like beer league stuff - people have tons of rules for those games.

Its not your game. What the heck do you care what the ceiling is? I really dont see the problem here. Make sure its understood and pregame and move on.
Old Sun Apr 12, 2009, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
I would make sure its understood from the pregame meeting. If the tourney rules are not clear or there could be misunderstanding - pregame is where that is addressed. Whatever ceiling (or any other rule) the TD wants- find out and thats it - just make sure its clear.
Quote:
If you arent getting paid or if you simply dont want to work those tourneys (I know I wouldnt) - I understand that... and I say Run!

Other than that - whats the big deal?

Its their tourney. They hired you to enforce their tourney rules. So they change it - who cares? Ive had tourney rules change before- things get adjusted. This is like beer league stuff - people have tons of rules for those games.

Its not your game. What the heck do you care what the ceiling is? I really dont see the problem here. Make sure its understood and pregame and move on.

Thank you all for your responses.

Just for clarification, Wade, in my OP I stated that I had already completed 3 of 6 games that day BEFORE the TD mentioned this ceiling issue. (Actually I think I completed 4, but OP says 3).

Thank you again.

Last edited by gumpire; Sun Apr 12, 2009 at 10:39pm.
Old Sun Apr 12, 2009, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thank you all for your responses.

Just for clarification, Wade, in my OP I stated that I had already completed 3 of 6 games that day BEFORE the TD mentioned this ceiling issue. (Actually I think I completed 4, but OP says 3).

Thank you again.
I understood that. Dont worry about it so much. I consider that issue the same as in friendlies when Courtesy Runner rules get changed or time limits get changed. Things change in less than "formal" championship events. Take it in stride. Semper Gumby - always flexible You are way to worried about a non-issue is my point. This was obviously not a championship event, so yes, the TD is within ASA rules to change this if he wants - 12' ceiling is for championship play. In fact if he want's every other game 10' then 12' foot then skyball/no limit then 7' he can do that.
Old Mon Apr 13, 2009, 07:20am
Official Forum Member

It's Slow Pitch Softball (and before anybody gets their feathers all ruffled, Slow Pitch is all I do and I try to do it well) and a "for fun" tournament to boot.

Just call a couple of borderline strikes and get 'em swingin'. They will forget all about the arc limit.
Old Mon Apr 13, 2009, 07:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdc25 View Post
Just call a couple of borderline strikes and get 'em swingin'. They will forget all about the arc limit.
Bah... You and I both know that they'll be grumbling about the arc, regardless of the limit. I've only done SP, and I've been at it for 16+ years. Trust me, they'll grumble.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Mon Apr 13, 2009, 07:51am
Ref Ump Welsch

You're right Dave, they always grumble no matter what. I always say this in the pregame: "Balls and strikes are not negotiable, and that means balls and strikes resulting from the arc as well. In case you did not understand the previous statement, the arc is non-negotiable as well." And that folks, usually makes the captains/coaches/ucking fidiots so quiet you can hear the proverbial pin drop.
Old Mon Apr 13, 2009, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

The TD wants a rule change, that's his call, just like no steel or steel allowed. If it were me, I'd modify the arc as requested, inform teams during pregame and direct all queries to the TD. I'd also point out to the TD that if you change in mid stream like that he risks not having all those out of town teams coming anymore or maybe only the out of town teams. He might reconsider and insert the new rules at the start of his next tourney.
Old Mon Apr 13, 2009, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Semper Gumby - always flexible

Now that is good advice!

Until it is the Championship it is all water of a duck's back. Improvise, adapt, overcome.