The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 01, 2009, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Al
One or Two things that improved your umpiring.

Hi all,

I'm sure the long off season will show some ring rust has set in. Strangely, I feel more nervous this year then I did at the start of last year. If any would like to share one or two things that helped to improve their game the most it may help me to keep my focus, build up my confidence, and improve my game. I've been reading the USSSA rule book and spending time on this board but for some reason I feel I will have a bad start. And a bad start is the last thing I want to have. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks, Al
Old Wed Apr 01, 2009, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

I would suggest getting the new ASA Mechanics DVD and watch it multiple times. It is really well put together and made me really focus better.
Old Wed Apr 01, 2009, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

Behind the plate: Make sure you're in the slot - RH batter, right ear on the inside edge of the plate, belt buckle pointed to outside corner of plate. LH batter just the opposite. Focus on being there every pitch. On the bases: Concentrate on angles, get that 90 degree to the throw...watch your depth.
Old Wed Apr 01, 2009, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

Relaxing out there - you dont have a country to run. You are officiating.

Let them play ball.
Old Wed Apr 01, 2009, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

Slow down!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Apr 01, 2009, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
Slow down!
Agreed! One thing that's always helped slow my calls down is assuming that the fielder will drop the ball until they prove otherwise to me.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Wed Apr 01, 2009, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

Good one.
Old Wed Apr 01, 2009, 11:59pm
Official Forum Member

Strangely (I suppose) the thing that most improved my umpiring was getting evaluated. I say strangely because I think most people dread evals...but I've been lucky enough to get hooked up with some great trainers/UICs.

I'm one of those guys that picks out one aspect to focus on each year. This year, that focus is the bottom of my strike zone. I felt I was a bit low in the past.
Old Thu Apr 02, 2009, 12:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
Slow down!
Yep, helped me more than anything

Softball in the Bible
"In the big-inning"

Old Thu Apr 02, 2009, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Al
Agreed! One thing that's always helped slow my calls down is assuming that the fielder will drop the ball until they prove otherwise to me.

Thanks for the good advice guys. Probably all of us have started an out call only to change it mid-way. For me just trying to slow down my calls wasn't always fool proof. But by keeping the assumption that the fielder will drop the ball, like NCASAUmp has suggested, is an excellent way to avoid this potential problem from ever happening again. That's the type of advice that once learned will stay with a person.

As Angler has mentioned it's a must to concentrate on angles, and get that 90 degree to the throw without being too close. Also, I looked at a sampler of the new ASA Mechanics DVD and that reminded me of the Mechanics video that I already have, which I haven't used for over a year now. I'll try to relax more wade. I don't want any coaches thinking I'm not confident in what I'm doing. Nothin' like fun at the ole' ball park! ...Al
Old Thu Apr 02, 2009, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

As a basketball official pretending to do softball, it is all about being in position to make the correct call.
Old Thu Apr 02, 2009, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbking View Post
As a basketball official pretending to do softball, it is all about being in position to make the correct call.
Agreed.

One of the things that ASA has preached over the last few years is "angle over distance." This is to say that if you can't close the distance, get that angle. We all hustle as best as possible (Don't we? *hears crickets*), but there are times when you just can't get that 10-12 feet on a tag play. In that case, get the angle first, then close the gap.

And if it's tight, sell the call! Selling the call will bring you a few feet closer to the play, making it appear that you're on top of it (even if you called it from 20 feet back).

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Thu Apr 02, 2009, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Videotape yourself umpiring. I did that this last weekend and it's going to help me tremendously. The next day I sat down and watched it with a fellow umpire "cough, cough" SRW and we definately saw some things I need to work on. It was nice to see it first hand.
Old Fri Apr 03, 2009, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttermaker View Post
Videotape yourself umpiring. I did that this last weekend and it's going to help me tremendously. The next day I sat down and watched it with a fellow umpire "cough, cough" SRW and we definately saw some things I need to work on. It was nice to see it first hand.
Yeah, get that crap out of your throat there, foot-looker.
Old Fri Apr 03, 2009, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
The biggest improvement for me was giving up slowpitch.

Seriously, the slow down advice and to think ahead, were the best.
Also, some positive comments from others really helped, so remember that when commenting on another.