The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   NFHS obstruction/interference (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/52524-nfhs-obstruction-interference.html)

RKBUmp Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:28am

NFHS obstruction/interference

Had a JV game last night, almost a textbook example of case play 2-47-3b, except with a twist.

Runners on 1 and 2, ground ball right back to F1. F1 muffs the play and deflects the ball in the direction of F6, but slowed the ball enough that it only rolled about another 8' after first touch. F6 did not initially move to field the ball, she hesitated and seemed to be thinking about if she should field it or not. Runner has to choose a line to run in to get to 3rd since it is a force and after F6 initially doesnt move, chooses direct path to 3rd. As runner gets directly in front of F6, she now decides to try and field the ball and steps into the side of the runner.

I ruled obstruction on the play since F6 did not initially move to field the ball. The runner had to make a decision as to where to run. By not making a move I felt she had not made an attempt to field the ball until after the runner had moved in front of her. Conferred with partner later and he agreed with call. Opinions?

Dakota Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:45am

To the DC when he comes out to question the call:

"Coach, in my judgment, the SS timed her move to the ball in an attempt to draw an interference call. Obstruction call stands." :D

CajunNewBlue Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:27am

DMR... INT.
I cannot judge intent nor how a fielder should or should not field a ball. :eek:

IRISHMAFIA Wed Mar 25, 2009 02:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CajunNewBlue (Post 591268)
DMR... INT.
I cannot judge intent nor how a fielder should or should not field a ball. :eek:

Then you are in the wrong business. I have no problem with the OBS call. You cannot expect all runners to stand pat until someone on the defense gives them a green light.

CajunNewBlue Wed Mar 25, 2009 03:52pm

ohh im in the right business.... by rule, yes i can. ;) 2-47-3a

CajunNewBlue Wed Mar 25, 2009 03:55pm

POE: Interference. A runner legally running the bases has FULL responsibility to avoid contact with a fielder who is attempting to make an initial play, etc. etc.

bluezebra Wed Mar 25, 2009 05:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CajunNewBlue (Post 591382)
POE: Interference. A runner legally running the bases has FULL responsibility to avoid contact with a fielder who is attempting to make an initial play, etc. etc.

INITIAL: first, early, original, primary.

Bob

CajunNewBlue Wed Mar 25, 2009 07:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluezebra (Post 591398)
INITIAL: first, early, original, primary.

Bob

adj.

1. Of, relating to, or occurring at the beginning; first:

hrmmm, looked it up too.. don't see immediate or instantaneous or you must field the ball in the fashion the umpire thinks they should. Nor do i find those in 2-47-3b

Now if she stopped, lit up a smoke and took a dump.... maybe that would preclude the initial play definition. ok, im reaching here.(a little) :D

but per the OP all she did is hesitate. (pause ,read, react)
Sounds familiar?
Not once in the OP did the umpire think or mention that F6 tried to draw the INT (here we can judge intent).... so it must be INT.
DMR

wadeintothem Wed Mar 25, 2009 08:39pm

Sounds like the right call to me as well.

IRISHMAFIA Wed Mar 25, 2009 09:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CajunNewBlue (Post 591413)
adj.

1. Of, relating to, or occurring at the beginning; first:

hrmmm, looked it up too.. don't see immediate or instantaneous or you must field the ball in the fashion the umpire thinks they should. Nor do i find those in 2-47-3b

Now if she stopped, lit up a smoke and took a dump.... maybe that would preclude the initial play definition. ok, im reaching here.(a little) :D

but per the OP all she did is hesitate. (pause ,read, react)
Sounds familiar?
Not once in the OP did the umpire think or mention that F6 tried to draw the INT (here we can judge intent).... so it must be INT.
DMR

So, just how many defenders does the "initial play" protect? If F8 was moving to get a deflected ball garner the same protection?

Seems from the OP, not only was F6 involved in the initial play, but wasn't remotely involved in the play, deflected or not.

I see this as an inattentive fielder vs. a runner who has the right to advance. From the OP, the fielder ran into the runner, not the other way around.

The more I read the OP and the more I read the tap-dancing attempt to justify an INT call, the more solid my support of RKB's becomes.

CajunNewBlue Wed Mar 25, 2009 09:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 591440)
So, just how many defenders does the "initial play" protect? If F8 was moving to get a deflected ball garner the same protection?

Seems from the OP, not only was F6 involved in the initial play, but wasn't remotely involved in the play, deflected or not.

I see this as an inattentive fielder vs. a runner who has the right to advance. From the OP, the fielder ran into the runner, not the other way around.

The more I read the OP and the more I read the tap-dancing attempt to justify an INT call, the more solid my support of RKB's becomes.

me? tap dance? whatever. im just debating it.
Ok, straight up with no attempt at any type of humor.
OP states ball is deflected by the pitcher towards F6... F6 hesitates (what maybe 2-3 seconds? at most?...OP doesn't say) then goes to make initial play and runs into the runner while making the initial play on the ball.
OP mentions that he "felt" that F6 moved for the ball once runner was in front of fielder...SO f@cking what? no rule against it.
Op also states that runner picked the direct line thru the bases.
no additions of F8's,no judging if the fielder was inattentive, no tap dancing
Its an INT call. I don't need to justify it, as its by rule.
Or until someone can add something to change my mind.

BTW: "Seems from the OP, not only was F6 involved in the initial play, but wasn't remotely involved in the play, deflected or not." HUH?

Dakota Wed Mar 25, 2009 09:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 591440)
So, just how many defenders does the "initial play" protect?...

Well, NFHS defines "initial play"...

Rule 2-47-3
Quote:

Initial Play. A fielder is considered to be making an initial play on a
fair batted ball when she:
a. Has a reasonable chance to gain control of a ground ball that no other fielder (except the pitcher) has touched.
b. Has a reasonable chance to catch the ball in flight after it touches another fielder.
c. Fails to gain control of the batted ball and is within a step and a reach (in any direction) of the spot of the initial contact.
Notice the exception for the pitcher having touched the batted ball. This was still the initial play, but given the actions of the defender, I could support the OBS call.

wadeintothem Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:12pm

I dunno ... 2-47 and the case play itself lends credence to the chance that an absolutely horrible call of INT is perfectly valid due to the attrocious rules writing of the NFHS. The only requirement for INT as far as I can see is that a this fielder was attempting to "gain control" of the ball after the F1 deflection.. no mention of being able to make a play or an out (as in ASA).

ASA and probably every other rule set on earth, OBS is the no brainer call.

I agree its a terrible call; I went to the rule book intending to be able to show Cajun why he is being so thickheaded about insisting on making a terrible call...

I got nothing in NFHS to refute an INT call and certainly a lot of evidence supporting that it is a good call.

If anyone can show me otherwise, I'd love to see it and at least gain some confidence that NFHS rules writers are not absolute complete dolts.

I think the problem is most of the umpires are instinctively wanting to make the correct and proper call and not the idiotic NFHS poorly written rule call.

CajunNewBlue Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:24pm

Thank you.... that's all i was trying to say.
I was waiting for someone to throw out the "common sense and fair play" thing.... and i woulda said h3ll yeah!! i got OBS too.

topper Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:25pm

The timing of this play, as described, seems improbable, if not impossible unless F6 and the runner were close to each other since the OP says the runner was directly in front of F6 when she decided to attempt to play the ball. Based on that assumption, I would lean toward INT judging that the runner didn't alter her path enough to allow a possible play by F6.

That's twice that I've agreed with CNB this week. I'm probably pushing my luck. :D