The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Exposed undergarments (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/51621-exposed-undergarments.html)

benbret Thu Feb 12, 2009 07:21pm

Exposed undergarments

NFHS test question says exposed undergarments are considered part of the official uniform and may be of any solid color. Here is the statement on the NF website
3-2-7Clarified that exposed undergarments must be a solid color.
Rule book says must be a solid school color. solid color and solid school color are not the same.

NCASAUmp Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:20am

I don't know about you guys, but that's probably not a rule I'd want to spend too much time on. I can see how this could easily end badly.

wadeintothem Fri Feb 13, 2009 02:12am

I care about this issue long enough to fill in my circle for the test. I'm not going to be color testing their sliding shorts.

ChampaignBlue Fri Feb 13, 2009 03:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by benbret (Post 578833)
NFHS test question says exposed undergarments are considered part of the official uniform and may be of any solid color. Here is the statement on the NF website
3-2-7Clarified that exposed undergarments must be a solid color.
Rule book says must be a solid school color. solid color and solid school color are not the same.

Is there a place on the lineup card to list school colors? No way to enforce it then, solid color on the other hand can be so I'd stick with solid colors.

Was a few years back doing an ASA womens A, AA state. One team showed up in basketball jerseys with sports bras underneath. ASA says exposed undergarments should be the same color as the shirt or pants. Tourny organizers gave teams until the 2nd day to co-ordinate. Had one player say to me no problem, not wearing one and proceeded to prove it. Sure made running a little tough at the start of the game.

benbret Fri Feb 13, 2009 07:51am

I was just wondering what the correct answer should be for the test.

wadeintothem Fri Feb 13, 2009 08:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChampaignBlue (Post 578937)
Is there a place on the lineup card to list school colors? No way to enforce it then, solid color on the other hand can be so I'd stick with solid colors.

Was a few years back doing an ASA womens A, AA state. One team showed up in basketball jerseys with sports bras underneath. ASA says exposed undergarments should be the same color as the shirt or pants. Tourny organizers gave teams until the 2nd day to co-ordinate. Had one player say to me no problem, not wearing one and proceeded to prove it. Sure made running a little tough at the start of the game.

There are times when rules must be strictly enforced.. we are talking about the integrity of the game for chrisakes.

NCASAUmp Fri Feb 13, 2009 08:36am

Quote:

Leaning a little far forward, huh? Did you also have troubles getting into the slot? :eek:

CajunNewBlue Fri Feb 13, 2009 08:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by benbret (Post 578942)
I was just wondering what the correct answer should be for the test.

solid color
They went farther and showed us a slide (wooohee) and undergarments (exposed) can be of ANY color as long as its solid. including optic yellow. then you would refer to "is it distracting" on the pitcher.

benbret Fri Feb 13, 2009 09:26am

NFHS test question says exposed undergarments are considered part of the official uniform and may be of any solid color.

I put false on the test and made 100 so they must want school colors only for testing.

IRISHMAFIA Fri Feb 13, 2009 09:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by benbret (Post 578972)
NFHS test question says exposed undergarments are considered part of the official uniform and may be of any solid color.

I put false on the test and made 100 so they must want school colors only for testing.

That isn't what I just heard at the state NFHS clinic. Pretty sure the slide had black, white, grey or school color (all solid). However, clinician was specific as to not getting into the shade of the color.

BTW, AFAIC, the school colors are anything similar to what is already included on the uniform

IRISHMAFIA Fri Feb 13, 2009 09:48am

Quote:

Had one player say to me no problem, not wearing one and proceeded to prove it. Sure made running a little tough at the start of the game.

Well........did you check for exposed jewelry? :eek:

NCASAUmp Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 578982)
Well........did you check for exposed jewelry? :eek:

And you posted this on youtube, right?

Dakota Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadeintothem (Post 578947)
There are times when rules must be strictly enforced.. we are talking about the integrity of the game for chrisakes.

I thought he was talking about making the women players go braless in basketball jerseys... :eek:

NCASAUmp Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota (Post 578992)
I thought he was talking about making the women players go braless in basketball jerseys... :eek:

That's not exactly a terrible idea...

MichaelVA2000 Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:03am

Quote:

And that's bad because?;)

Dakota Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelVA2000 (Post 579008)
And that's bad because?;)

Hey. wade is the one who complained! :D

kfo9494 Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:21pm

I look at that rule with some balancing. A few years ago it was really pushed by our state about uniforms. Making sure the hats were all the same color and the uniforms were all similar and pants were all the same.
That's nice.
But when you are out calling for a school with limited funds and it is 40* with a wind chill of 30*, I don't give a darn what the players have on their heads nor what color is protecting their ears. I don't worry if one player has a black jacket on and another player has a blue jacket on.
I have never heard anything from a coach or fan about protecting the girls.
>
Now if it was a team good team that maybe going to the playoffs, I would infor the coach so she could make plans for the future.

Dakota Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:28pm

MN being MN ("all of our kids are above average"), all teams go to the playoffs...

CajunNewBlue Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by benbret (Post 578972)

the false part is the "considered part of the official uniform"? no?

CecilOne Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 578981)
That isn't what I just heard at the state NFHS clinic. Pretty sure the slide had black, white, grey or school color (all solid). However, clinician was specific as to not getting into the shade of the color.

BTW, AFAIC, the school colors are anything similar to what is already included on the uniform

Just about to post that, which is what makes tha answer false.

Only our non-NFHS person caught it. :p ;)

Tru_in_Blu Fri Feb 13, 2009 04:06pm

NFHS 3.2.7
"Exposed undergarments, if worn, are considered part of the official uniform. All exposed undergarments shall be black, white, gray or a solid school color."

I think that's the passage relevant to the test question.

Art. 7 goes on:
a. Exposed upper-body undergarments do not have to be the same color as exposed lower-body undergarments.
b. All exposed upper-body undergarments shall be the same color, and all exposed lower-body undergarments shall be the same color.

Not included in the NFHS book that I could find was if'n the umpires had any exposed undergarments if they had to be the same color. :eek:

edit: except for t-shirts, if worn.

Ted

wadeintothem Sat Feb 14, 2009 01:30am

Quote:

yeah, i'm liking this rule better and better.

ChampaignBlue Tue Feb 17, 2009 08:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 578948)
Leaning a little far forward, huh? Did you also have troubles getting into the slot? :eek:

Actually I was working the bases... :D

Thanks for the laugh, needed one just now.

NCASAUmp Tue Feb 17, 2009 08:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChampaignBlue (Post 580291)
Actually I was working the bases... :D

Thanks for the laugh, needed one just now.

Nothing like a kickstand joke in the morning. ;)

Dutch Alex Tue Feb 17, 2009 09:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CajunNewBlue (Post 578949)
solid color
... and undergarments (exposed) can be of ANY color as long as its solid. including optic yellow. then you would refer to "is it distracting" on the pitcher.

Women on the field exposing their undergarment is distracting to me. Imagine the color yellow in front and brown at the back. Very distracting!:D

NCASAUmp Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutch Alex (Post 580322)
Women on the field exposing their undergarment is distracting to me. Imagine the color yellow in front and brown at the back. Very distracting!:D

Good god, we're a bunch of perves!

"Hide your women and children! The umpires are coming! The umpires are coming!"

bkbjones Tue Feb 17, 2009 04:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kfo9494 (Post 579080)
I look at that rule with some balancing.

Wait! Some are talking juggling, some are talking jiggling! It's confusing...but it's a NICE confusing.

Here's a question. How exposed does an undergarment have to be to be exposed?

bkbjones Tue Feb 17, 2009 04:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutch Alex (Post 580322)

Sander, you're doing too many senior games.

Dutch Alex Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkbjones (Post 580484)
Sander, you're doing too many senior games.

Well John,

I'm sorry to say, that we have very little top- or pro-umpires working in youth softball. So over 90% of my games are in "adult" softball. Both male as female.
Notice I've placed the brackets; the young ladies are mostly over 17 years old. Some talented girls are under 17 as they start playing in the dutch top-league...
However, on the fields i've never seen any exposed undergarments at players, coaches nor umpires! If they do, i think i'll ask them to start wearing their uniform properly (or leave my diamond...)

Ref Ump Welsch Thu Feb 19, 2009 01:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutch Alex (Post 581129)
I'm sorry to say, that we have very little top- or pro-umpires working in youth softball. So over 90% of my games are in "adult" softball. Both male as female.

Transgendered?

IRISHMAFIA Thu Feb 19, 2009 01:49pm

Quote:

Well John,

Notice I've placed the brackets; the young ladies are mostly over 17 years old. Some talented girls are under 17 as they start playing in the dutch top-league...
However, on the fields i've never seen any exposed undergarments at players, coaches nor umpires! If they do, i think i'll ask them to start wearing their uniform properly (or leave my diamond...)

I assume you meant male and female. Otherwise,the undergarments may not be the only things exposed! :eek:

AtlUmpSteve Thu Feb 19, 2009 04:55pm

Quote:

Sander, I think the "English as a Second Language" barrier caught up with you on this one.

This rule refers to, for example, a long sleeve undershirt, that the arms of the shirt are exposed past the short sleeves of the uniform jersey. Or sliding shorts, whose legs extend past the shorter legs of uniform shorts.

The parts of these that are exposed are regulated as to color, and to match.

The rule doesn't apply to sports bras worn without uniform tops, etc., as I believe you are imagining.

Dutch Alex Fri Feb 20, 2009 01:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve (Post 581312)
Sander, I think the "English as a Second Language" barrier caught up with you on this one.

Not even second: thirt is better.
NL, D, GB and finally F... All learnt between the age 6 and 18 at school, somewhere in an earlier century.
And yep, I'm caught. Am I also out?

However, Steve, I wasn't imagining the rule. In the Neth.'s (following ISF) we've made long sleeves and sliding pants part of the uniform. "If worn, must be of same colour and type" or something similair written.
So, for me, that's not undergarment just a part of uniform.