The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Boo

Speaking ASA:

R1 at 3B. B2 is due to bat, but B3 bats out of order. First pitch is a wild pitch, and R1 advances to home safely. Second pitch, B3 hits a single. Defensive coach appeals BOO.

Do you return R1 to 3B and negate the run?

Does 7.2.D.2 Effect B only apply to the immediate previous PLAY, or the entire AT-BAT?
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 06:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW View Post
Speaking ASA:

R1 at 3B. B2 is due to bat, but B3 bats out of order. First pitch is a wild pitch, and R1 advances to home safely. Second pitch, B3 hits a single. Defensive coach appeals BOO.

Does 7.2.D.2 Effect B only apply to the immediate previous PLAY, or the entire AT-BAT?

After a pitch (legal or illegal), all play stands. So the run scores.
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 07:07pm
Official Forum Member

Even if the defense had appealed before B3 singled (i.e., immediately after the wild pitch), R1's advance would still be legal, and the run would count. In that case, B2 would simply replace B3 in the batter's box and assume the count.

However, ASA differs from other codes in a certain respect: (FP) R1 on 3B, no outs. Ball 4 to B3 (batting instead of B2) bounces off F2's shinguard and into DBT. R1 scores, and B3 goes to 1B. In ASA, on a BOO appeal by the defense, B2 would be out, R1 would return to 3B, and B3 would bat again. But in NCAA (and OBR), R1's run would count, since the advance was not a result of anything the batter did.

Last edited by greymule; Fri Jan 30, 2009 at 07:13pm.
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dholloway1962 View Post
After a pitch (legal or illegal), all play stands. So the run scores.
You're jumping the gun. A pitch to the NEXT batter- the one that follows the improper batter B3 to the plate- makes all play stand. On this play, our improper batter is still open to appeal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greymule View Post
However, ASA differs from other codes...
And that is a difference I wasn't aware of. One more rule difference to keep track of and one more reason I hate batting out of order plays!

Add FED softball (and baseball, since you mentioned OBR) to the rule sets that let allow runner advances to stand (as long as they aren't a result of the batter's actions) even if the improper batter is appealed.

ASA, as far as I can tell, is the "odd man out" when it comes to negating all advances during the improper batter's at-bat.
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But in NCAA (and OBR), R1's run would count, since the advance was not a result of anything the batter did.
Sure it did. She completed another batter's turn at bat and became a BR.
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
You're jumping the gun. A pitch to the NEXT batter- the one that follows the improper batter B3 to the plate- makes all play stand. On this play, our improper batter is still open to appeal.
Yeah, I didn't clarify that. Thanks
Old Sat Jan 31, 2009, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW View Post

IMO, you need to look at 7.2.D-1 and D-2 together.

D-1 covers the time at bat of an incorrect batter. When discovered, there is no penalty. All play (base stealing, runs scoring, runner picked off) stands, and the batter is replaced with the correct batter.

D-2 covers the action that terminates the incorrect batter's time at bat. Anything resulting from that play is examined and penalties are assessed. Runners are returned, scores are negated, and the proper batter called out. Any other outs achieved by the defense during the play will stand.

Thus the run that occured prior to the play that ended the incorrect batter's time at bat stands.

WMB
Old Sat Jan 31, 2009, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

ASA, as far as I can tell, is the "odd man out" when it comes to negating all advances during the improper batter's at-bat.

Just to be clear—

ASA negates any advance made on the pitch on which the batter completes his time at bat, regardless of how such advance occurred (i.e., whether or not it had anything to do with what the batter did). However, any advance made before that pitch is legal.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2009, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:

Just to be clear—

ASA negates any advance made on the pitch on which the batter completes his time at bat, regardless of how such advance occurred (i.e., whether or not it had anything to do with what the batter did). However, any advance made before that pitch is legal.
Have you moved yet? I can't tell because your typing seems just as fast.