The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Rolled Bats (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/51145-rolled-bats.html)

outathm Fri Jan 23, 2009 01:11pm

Rolled Bats

When you go to the Bats forum one of the ads at the top is for a company that will roll/shave your bat for you. How ironic that a company helping players skirt the rules is advertising on an officiating site.

:confused:

MichaelVA2000 Fri Jan 23, 2009 02:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by outathm (Post 571672)
When you go to the Bats forum one of the ads at the top is for a company that will roll/shave your bat for you. How ironic that a company helping players skirt the rules is advertising on an officiating site.

Capitalism at it's finest. Heaven forbid that an available penny be missed.

IRISHMAFIA Fri Jan 23, 2009 04:13pm

Quote:

And your problem with some dope spending money to advertise on a site which will produce little to no business is? :rolleyes:

kfrisbee Fri Jan 23, 2009 06:15pm

Quote:

forgive me for being a dolt sometimes, but I didn't know that it was illegal to "roll" a bat.

I am really glad that I didn't get DD's bat rolled like she wanted!

IRISHMAFIA Fri Jan 23, 2009 06:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kfrisbee (Post 571799)
forgive me for being a dolt sometimes, but I didn't know that it was illegal to "roll" a bat.

I am really glad that I didn't get DD's bat rolled like she wanted!

So, your DD is a cheater? :eek:

Doing anything to accelerate a bat's break-in is against the rules, at least, ASA.

Ref Ump Welsch Fri Jan 23, 2009 06:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 571803)

Doing anything to accelerate a bat's break-in is against the rules, at least, ASA.

And in USSSA. They've actually sued bat doctors and to settle, those busted docs had to sign something to the effect they would become inspectors of doctored bats and refrain from doctoring bats in the future at the risk of being prosecuted for fraud (supposedly signing the document and then going against it can be prosecuted as fraud under federal law).

Now that being said, it reminds me of the doctor scene out of one of that comedy spy movie Chevy Chase and Dan Akroyd were in.

SC Ump Fri Jan 23, 2009 09:28pm

Quote:

...that will shave your bat for you.

It reminds me of something out of Major League. How can you expect Cerrano to hit a curve with a hairy bat?

kfrisbee Sat Jan 24, 2009 08:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 571803)

Funny.

13yo DD got her first composite bat for fall season and asked if it could be rolled. I had never heard that before and said no, that it could be considered altering the bat.

Good thing I didn't cave!

Welpe Sun Jan 25, 2009 02:32am

For what it's worth, the Google ads are context sensitive based upon the content of the page you're currently on. A humorous example of this are threads in the basketball forum that talk about "shots". You'll see advertisements for firearms training. :D

The point is, I doubt that the company paid to advertise specifically on this site.

IRISHMAFIA Sun Jan 25, 2009 07:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 572011)
For what it's worth, the Google ads are context sensitive based upon the content of the page you're currently on. A humorous example of this are threads in the basketball forum that talk about "shots". You'll see advertisements for firearms training. :D

The point is, I doubt that the company paid to advertise specifically on this site.

Agree. But I do like the fact that they are paying and this is what they are getting for their ill-gotten gains. :D

wadeintothem Sun Jan 25, 2009 08:45am

This site has ads?

Skahtboi Sun Jan 25, 2009 09:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadeintothem (Post 572028)
This site has ads?

Look at the top of the page! ^

wadeintothem Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skahtboi (Post 572040)
Look at the top of the page! ^

Nothing up there but the officiating.com logo.. guess my browser blocks em.

AtlUmpSteve Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:01am

Ad-blocker add-in on Firefox will strip the adds. IE or AOL allow the Google script.

Frankly, a messageboard I run for the benefit of our local softball programs is funded by Google ads; I put the search script in the header, and they pay me $200 a year.

I had the same moral question, posed so I researched the site(s). At that time, each clearly stated their product was illegal for ASA and other association play, and only intended for home run competitions and similar exhibitions. I reasoned that, while they may be enablers, they aren't breaking the rules; someone who knowingly uses one of their bats in real games is the pond scum.

Not very different from advertising firearms; it is legal to sell them, legal to own them. Just illegal if used inappropriately. I don't pretend there is Constitutional protection to own altered bats, but the same philosophy applies; altered bats don't bring themselves to ball games, or decide when to be used.

JefferMC Mon Jan 26, 2009 01:04pm

Same ad at the top of this page as I hit reply:

Bat rolling and shaving
Add 40-50 feet of distance to your baseball or softball bat!