The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   I got the good news today (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/51099-i-got-good-news-today.html)

snorman75 Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:21pm

I got the good news today

First meeting is scheduled. Mind you it is still 10 degrees out, but I can smell spring coming.

azbigdawg Thu Jan 22, 2009 07:35am

Were three tournaments into the new year....Im trying to remember if we actually ever stopped.....:cool:

IRISHMAFIA Thu Jan 22, 2009 07:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by azbigdawg (Post 571046)
Were three tournaments into the new year....Im trying to remember if we actually ever stopped.....:cool:

That's the problem with you guys in the mono-seasonal zones. You can have it.

Skahtboi Thu Jan 22, 2009 09:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by azbigdawg (Post 571046)

You didn't. You just took a couple of weeks off.

Skahtboi Thu Jan 22, 2009 09:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 571051)
That's the problem with you guys in the mono-seasonal zones. You can have it.

Hey, it keeps you sharp!

IRISHMAFIA Thu Jan 22, 2009 09:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skahtboi (Post 571083)
Hey, it keeps you sharp!

Not for all. It becomes boring and a chore. I've seen the same thing in basketball officials that work 12 months a year. It becomes so routine, officials sleep-walk through a game here and there and that isn't good.

Hell, believe it or not, some of us have a life that goes beyond sports.

azbigdawg Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 571092)
Not for all. It becomes boring and a chore. I've seen the same thing in basketball officials that work 12 months a year. It becomes so routine, officials sleep-walk through a game here and there and that isn't good.

Hell, believe it or not, some of us have a life that goes beyond sports.

It is with GREAT delight that I tell you that your assesment of the local umpires skills and attitudes is VERY incorrect. MOST, if not ALL of the softball umpires locallly do at LEAST one other sport. Which keeps them sharp.

There are only a select few of us that are condemned to worry about it for most of the year.

Thanks for playing, though!

Andy Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by azbigdawg (Post 571123)
It is with GREAT delight that I tell you that your assesment of the local umpires skills and attitudes is VERY incorrect. MOST, if not ALL of the softball umpires locallly do at LEAST one other sport. Which keeps them sharp.

There are only a select few of us that are condemned to worry about it for most of the year.

Thanks for playing, though!

Always good to get the support of your UIC.....Darrell himself does another sport as well...although I think he does constantly think of softball....:)

IRISHMAFIA Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by azbigdawg (Post 571123)

Which means it isn't just the one sport continuous for 12 months. That's pretty much my point, thank you.

azbigdawg Thu Jan 22, 2009 02:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 571229)
Which means it isn't just the one sport continuous for 12 months. That's pretty much my point, thank you.

ah..no.....it wasnt...nice try again.... or if it WAS, your initial comment was the opposite

Thats TWO beers ya owe me. (hows the new commish doing?)

IRISHMAFIA Thu Jan 22, 2009 04:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by azbigdawg (Post 571286)
ah..no.....it wasnt...nice try again.... or if it WAS, your initial comment was the opposite

ah...yeah.....it was. My comment was softball umpire, or any other sports official, can easily get into a rut by working the same sport (let me say that again, SAME SPORT) continuously. Diversity is a good thing and I love getting new umpires who work other sports because they have, at least, some sense of an official's life. Of course, the biggest thing is getting them to forget the other sport.

I have two DI asst. baseball coaches looking to start working some softball. I've already told both that their first hurdle is to forget baseball (like that is going to happen). :rolleyes:

Quote:

Thats TWO beers ya owe me. (hows the new commish doing?)
In your Super Bowl dreams.....er, wait a minute. I guess I'll be pulling for the St Louis, er, Arizona Cardinals next week. After all, you have a Fightin' Blue Hen alum on that team.

Dakota Thu Jan 22, 2009 09:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 571359)
...I guess I'll be pulling for the St Louis, er, Arizona Cardinals next week....

You forgot Chicago...

IRISHMAFIA Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota (Post 571433)
You forgot Chicago...

No, I didn't. Cannot forget something for which I wasn't around, you old fart.

Dakota Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 571467)
No, I didn't. Cannot forget something for which I wasn't around, you old fart.

;) But, I'm not THAT old... just a tidbit of information from one of the deluge of stories about the upcoming game...

AtlUmpSteve Fri Jan 23, 2009 09:41am

They were the Chicago Cardinals thru 1959; speaking personally, that's not so old (50 years ago!!).

I think there are a fair number here at least that old, and Mike, if you aren't there yet, I'm betting you're awfully close.