The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Do you have interferance (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/50542-do-you-have-interferance.html)

roadking Wed Dec 24, 2008 03:55pm

Do you have interferance

SS making a play on a ground ball in front of her at just about the baseline between 2nd and 3rd. Base runner on second is running hard to third and does nothing to avoid contact. SS makes the ground ball catch, but has to pull her upper body back to avoid any possible contact, no contact and all runners are safe. Do you have interferance and if so, who do you call out. thanks

shipwreck Wed Dec 24, 2008 04:36pm

From what you present, I have interference. If in fact I do have interference, it is dead ball, runner that interfered is out, and put batter/runner at first. Dave

Dholloway1962 Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadking (Post 561476)
SS making a play on a ground ball in front of her at just about the baseline between 2nd and 3rd. Base runner on second is running hard to third and does nothing to avoid contact. SS makes the ground ball catch, but has to pull her upper body back to avoid any possible contact, no contact and all runners are safe. Do you have interferance and if so, who do you call out. thanks

Question 1, which rules are you using. Some require contact for INT, some do not.

Question 2, since SS made the ground ball catch, how did the runner interfere? Sounds like to me she didn't in your scenario as SS made the play (caught the grounder w/o any problem). Did R1 interfere with throw?

Question 3, guess it more expands on #2, couldn't the SS have made an easy play? She could have reached out and tagged R1 and got an easy out.

I don't think I have INT on this one. R1 didn't interfere with anything IMO.

IRISHMAFIA Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:31am

Quote:

Interference with what? The player made the play on the batted ball. Shame on the SS for not tagging the runner or throw to 3B.

The only thing I see here is a DMF.

wadeintothem Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:53am

I can see both sides of this. I hate answering with "HTBT", but I'd need to see it to know for sure what I'd call. I'm Learning towads Irish's side of this though, just as an FYI - but if my partner called INT, I could see that as well.

MichaelVA2000 Thu Dec 25, 2008 03:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dholloway1962 (Post 561540)
Question 1, which rules are you using. Some require contact for INT, some do not.

Which softball rules do?

Skahtboi Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:16am

Quote:

No contact, play made, runner doing nothing unusual to break up the play. I don't see interference with the info provided.

CecilOne Fri Dec 26, 2008 05:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelVA2000 (Post 561615)
Which softball rules do?

Also would like to know what Mike asked.

The OP is not INT in my view, unless the fielder was prevented from throwing.

Dholloway1962 Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelVA2000 (Post 561615)
Which softball rules do?

NCAA and AFA require contact.

MichaelVA2000 Sun Dec 28, 2008 07:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dholloway1962 (Post 562101)
NCAA and AFA require contact.

NCAA is what I was looking for, I'm not familiar with AFA.

roadking Sun Dec 28, 2008 09:49pm

It was NCAA, I had no call, but did not feel good about the call. The coach did not like the call because he thought his player should not have to make any evasive movement to avoid contact. thanks for the input

IRISHMAFIA Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadking (Post 562272)
It was NCAA, I had no call, but did not feel good about the call. The coach did not like the call because he thought his player should not have to make any evasive movement to avoid contact. thanks for the input

Was it NCAA or just NCAA rules?