The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   ASA National Umpire School (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/49802-asa-national-umpire-school.html)

shipwreck Tue Nov 11, 2008 02:50pm

ASA National Umpire School

I have an opportunity to attend this National Umpire School in Nebraska. I have never attended a National School before. I have umpired for about 16 years. It is 25 miles away. I believe I have read on this forum that they are a great experience. Just wondered what everyones' feelings are on this. Here is the staff: Jim Craig from Amherst NY, Dave Epperson from Topeka KS, and Walt Sparks from San Antonio TX. Thanks, Dave

IRISHMAFIA Tue Nov 11, 2008 03:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by shipwreck (Post 549845)
I have an opportunity to attend this National Umpire School in Nebraska. I have never attended a National School before. I have umpired for about 16 years. It is 25 miles away. I believe I have read on this forum that they are a great experience. Just wondered what everyones' feelings are on this. Here is the staff: Jim Craig from Amherst NY, Dave Epperson from Topeka KS, and Walt Sparks from San Antonio TX. Thanks, Dave

The experience is up to the individual's expectations. A lot may also depend on how many umpires there are allowed.

Assuming there is around 75 attendees, you have a decent staff and will get out of this as much as you are willing to put in.

I strongly suggest that you stay in the hotel with the other attendees. As much will go on there in the hospitality rooms as will in the classes.

NCASAUmp Tue Nov 11, 2008 03:08pm

If you get the chance to go to a NUS near you, do it. They're a good experience for all umpires.

Dholloway1962 Tue Nov 11, 2008 03:21pm

Agree with the above comments. My only gripe about the one I attended was that there were several rookie umpires there and that drug it down, due to having to spend extra time with some basics. All in all great experience!

Can anyone offer info on the Fast Pitch Camp? Thinking about applying for the one in OKC in June. $400 is alot to fork out if enrollment isn't somewhat controlled.

Thanks

MNBlue Tue Nov 11, 2008 03:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dholloway1962 (Post 549853)
Agree with the above comments. My only gripe about the one I attended was that there were several rookie umpires there and that drug it down, due to having to spend extra time with some basics. All in all great experience!

Can anyone offer info on the Fast Pitch Camp? Thinking about applying for the one in OKC in June. $400 is alot to fork out if enrollment isn't somewhat controlled.

Thanks

My understanding is you're looking at a minimum of $800 - $400 for the camp and $400 for lodging. Plus incidentals it will probably go over $1000.

With that said, I have heard nothing but great comments about the Advanced FP Camp. I'm told that if you go there with the expectation of it being one of the best learning experiences of your life, it will be. It is a great opportunity and if you have the vacation time, and the $, it is well worth the investment. I hope to attend the camp in the near future.

wadeintothem Tue Nov 11, 2008 03:49pm

NUS is a good experience. I too would like to go to a FP Camp. I agree about staying at the Hotel with the other NUS folk.

MNBlue Tue Nov 11, 2008 03:56pm

Quote:

I attended the District 11 school this spring in Morehead, MN. It was the fourth time I attended a National School. Morehead was hosting a SP national, so a large percentage of the attendees were SP only umpires.

As a FP only umpire, I was concerned that I would be wasting my time. On the contrary. Bad mechanics were pointed out and cleaned up. Good mechanics were polished.

Plus, since there were also a number of 'newer' umpires, I was used as a student instructor. That was kind of cool to be 'recognized' by the national staff members and also to be helping newer umpires learn the ropes a little.

Like Mike said, you will get out of it what you put into it.

AtlUmpSteve Tue Nov 11, 2008 04:41pm

Quote:

Just want to add that all three you named are excellent technicians, excellent clinicians, and great individuals to work with. If you dislike any of the three at this school, I would almost have to say it was you, not them.

DeputyUICHousto Tue Nov 11, 2008 04:42pm

I've attended several and they are a great experience.

I've been taught by all three of the staff members you'll have an you'll learn a great deal from them. I do agree that you will get out of it what you put in...but that's umpiring. And I also agree that staying in the host hotel will make the experience that much better.

Good luck!

AtlUmpSteve Tue Nov 11, 2008 04:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dholloway1962 (Post 549853)

Thanks

You will find that, like many umpire schools, there will be some that are over there head and slow you down at times. But, overall, this is a much more intensive class with individualized instruction from the upper tier. When you leave, you will know it was worth it.

SRW on this board did it two springs ago (2007) in Cumming, GA; I think he can add a lot of personal experience. I last did it in 2001 in Killeen, TX, but also helped and audited part of the 2007. I have been told the 2008 camp (also in Cumming, GA) had fewer unprepared umpires.

Also, there is no better way to get on the radar of the top tier of the NUS in ASA. This will get you excellent consideration for whatever your next tier might be in ASA Nationals.

WestMichBlue Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:59am

To counter all the "Hooray" posts I offer this negative one. Well, maybe not negative, but more "cautionary."

Unless the clinic is in your area, you are going to spend $200 - $300 for fees, travel, lodging, meals, etc. That is a lot of games to work for free IF you don't get value from the clinic.

I attended one clinic several years ago; I was so angry at it that I left and went home a day early. Too bad I didn't have this post to guide me back then.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 549850)
The experience is up to the individual's expectations. A lot may also depend on how many umpires there are allowed.

Assuming there is around 75 attendees, you have a decent staff and will get out of this as much as you are willing to put in.

1. Expectations. You get your early training at ASA District and State Clinics, then (rightfully) assume you can really advance by attending a national clinic. But if too many rookies drag down the clinic, what you receive is going to be less than anticipated. You have to temper your expectations, and be satisfied with the few nuggets of new and valuable information and techniques that you did not know before.

2. Number of attendees. NUS recommends an attendee/clinician ration of 25:1. The clinic I attended had over 50:1. That is a lot less reps you will get in the mechanics drills. I can remember leaving a line, going to the restroom, and returning to my place in line still not near the training station. You might want to hold off registering until the last minute and see if you can find out how may registrations they have.

The problem is not ASA or the NUS, but the local organization that is hosting the clinic. The clinic I attended drew attendees from a 150 mi radius; they were experienced umpires willing to spend some buck to learn more. But the majority of attendees were from the local area, and several of them were first year umpires. The local association was using the NUS for their training that year!

I suspect that sponsoring a NUS is a fund raising endeavor for the host organization. The more attendees, the more money raised. They should be forced to either cut off registrations when they reach the 25:1 ratio - or hire additional clinicians. If they don't, you get buried in the numbers!

Be cautious.

WMB

shipwreck Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:43am

This one is open to the first 125 paid registrations. If it fills up, and since there are 3 clinicians scheduled to be there, that is about a 40-1 ratio. If it fills up that seems like they will be spread pretty slim. Dave

IRISHMAFIA Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by WestMichBlue (Post 550005)
To counter all the "Hooray" posts I offer this negative one. Well, maybe not negative, but more "cautionary."

Unless the clinic is in your area, you are going to spend $200 - $300 for fees, travel, lodging, meals, etc. That is a lot of games to work for free IF you don't get value from the clinic.

I attended one clinic several years ago; I was so angry at it that I left and went home a day early. Too bad I didn't have this post to guide me back then.

1. Expectations. You get your early training at ASA District and State Clinics, then (rightfully) assume you can really advance by attending a national clinic. But if too many rookies drag down the clinic, what you receive is going to be less than anticipated. You have to temper your expectations, and be satisfied with the few nuggets of new and valuable information and techniques that you did not know before.

2. Number of attendees. NUS recommends an attendee/clinician ration of 25:1. The clinic I attended had over 50:1. That is a lot less reps you will get in the mechanics drills. I can remember leaving a line, going to the restroom, and returning to my place in line still not near the training station. You might want to hold off registering until the last minute and see if you can find out how may registrations they have.

The problem is not ASA or the NUS, but the local organization that is hosting the clinic. The clinic I attended drew attendees from a 150 mi radius; they were experienced umpires willing to spend some buck to learn more. But the majority of attendees were from the local area, and several of them were first year umpires. The local association was using the NUS for their training that year!

I suspect that sponsoring a NUS is a fund raising endeavor for the host organization. The more attendees, the more money raised. They should be forced to either cut off registrations when they reach the 25:1 ratio - or hire additional clinicians. If they don't, you get buried in the numbers!

Be cautious.

WMB

I knew this post was coming and there is nothing inaccurate about it. Everything is correct. Too many schools are used as training for umpires who are not at this level yet which is a bad thing. The problem should be addressed locally and if a newer umpire is in attendence, they should be instructed to keep their ears open and mouths shut. Any questions should be taken aside.

It is not that they shouldn't be addressed, but addressed at a time that will not drag down the training for the experienced umpires.

ASA should demand the limit be met and there is no reason to not. At one point in time, National schools were rotated among the regions. Now, a region can hold a schools any year they please as long as the NUS can accommodate them. If an area has that much of a demand, they can easily restrict the number of attendees and conduct another school the following year.

The money thing is somewhat of an issue, but you also need to understand that the school must at least break even. If they can get enough help from local hotels, restaurants & venues, that is a big plus.

SRW Wed Nov 12, 2008 02:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve (Post 549875)
SRW on this board did it two springs ago (2007) in Cumming, GA; I think he can add a lot of personal experience.

My personal experience:
It was hot.
It was muggy.
I like sweet tea.
I no longer have a straight back.

Here's my recap of the class back in 2007.

And I thought I posted the 15 things I learned from the school on this board back in 2007, but I can't find it via search. It did get published in our Umpire Newsletter, though... and is linked here on page 5.
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve (Post 549875)
Also, there is no better way to get on the radar of the top tier of the NUS in ASA. This will get you excellent consideration for whatever your next tier might be in ASA Nationals.

This is so true.

CecilOne Wed Nov 12, 2008 05:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 550023)
I Too many schools are used as training for umpires who are not at this level yet which is a bad thing. The problem should be addressed locally and if a newer umpire is in attendence, they should be instructed to keep their ears open and mouths shut. Any questions should be taken aside.

It is not that they shouldn't be addressed, but addressed at a time that will not drag down the training for the experienced umpires.

ASA should demand the limit be met and there is no reason to not. At one point in time, National schools were rotated among the regions. Now, a region can hold a schools any year they please as long as the NUS can accommodate them. If an area has that much of a demand, they can easily restrict the number of attendees and conduct another school the following year.

The money thing is somewhat of an issue, but you also need to understand that the school must at least break even. If they can get enough help from local hotels, restaurants & venues, that is a big plus.

Looks like everyone needs a State School like Delaware.

Dakota Wed Nov 12, 2008 07:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 550151)
Looks like everyone needs a State School like Delaware.

MN ASA has "free" (included in the registration fee) state schools on several dates and at several locations around the state. They are kind of a long half day or short full day long (take your pick) and cover classroom and on the field mechanics. They tend to have a high student to clinician ratio, but they are mostly intended to cover the basic mechanics, with an emphasis on the single umpire system (the far and away predominate situation in MN).

However, with the turmoil going on in girls fastpitch sanctioning in this state, I wonder about the ability of the state commissioners office to be able to continue to afford to offer this in so many locations and in effect free to all (you can just show up for the school... they don't even check that you are in fact registered ASA).

Dholloway1962 Wed Nov 12, 2008 07:51pm

Lots of great seemingly honest comments. Thanks. The FP camp is just down the road from me and I have relatives to stay with. I'll probably apply and hope to get to attend.

Thanks again.

shipwreck Wed Nov 12, 2008 09:02pm

SRW, what is "I no longer have a straight back" referencing? Dave

Angler Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:06pm

Go to school.

I was with SRW (and other great umpires from the Northwest) at the 2007 National Fast Pitch Camp in Cumming, GA. It's the best thing I ever did for my umpiring career (except maybe tell Lori Bish I wanted to work college ball). When else do you get to be evaluated by Kevin Ryan and other NUS? Go with the expectation of learning something valuable, and you will.

DeputyUICHousto Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:07pm

Confusion

We are referencing two different umpire clinics here and some may be confused. One is the NUS which is a National Umpire School. The other is the Advanced Camp. The OP was for a National Umpire School and not the Advanced Camp.

DaveASA/FED Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:25am

I attended a NUS this year in OH. I am going to attend another in 2009, since it's in my state :mad: if I only knew last year we were hosting one this year! Anyway, I agree with alot of the comments here.

The real answer is if you go with your head on straight you will learn something. I have never gone anywhere and not learned something, it might be what not to do, or just a refresher that yep you are doing xyz correctly.

The amount you will learn depends on your past. Have you attended other schools? Were they patterned after the NUS? Did you pay attention during those, and learn and incorporate the learnings in your umpiring?

My personal experience was ok with the school. BUT, I, like many others in other states, have an unfair advantage. We have had VERY good state schools, and a member of the NU Staff has been at the majority of the state schools that I have attended in my career. Our state schools have been the same drills same points of emphsis as the NUS. That was a sort of let down to me, in that I felt like I had driven all that way, spent $$ on clinic and hotel room etc. for what I could have gotten 15 miles away from my house! BUT now again having your mind on right is key, and knowing you can always learn something is important. I learned several things at that clinic, all "small" points but all worth my weekend trip and my $$. One small almost a joke comment from Kevin has helped me in my plate stance this past year, helped my knees a TON. Nothing I hadn't heard before, but reprased in a way that made a light come on for me and helped me do what I had been attempting to but had been feeling awkward till then. And BTW his comment was to someone else about their stance, not me....so my #1 take away was something that I overheard being said to someone else, so bottom line is pay attention and you WILL get your money out of the clinic, IMO!!

Also what others have said it is a great chance to be seen by the "powers" that be and to get to know them and them to know you, having a face with the name helps a lot and also if you can manage to do something right during the drills doesn't hurt either! :) that must be my problem... :(

MNBlue Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED (Post 550286)
One small almost a joke comment from Kevin has helped me in my plate stance this past year, helped my knees a TON. Nothing I hadn't heard before, but reprased in a way that made a light come on for me and helped me do what I had been attempting to but had been feeling awkward till then.

And the comment was ...?

DaveASA/FED Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:26am

He was working with someone trying to get them to get the wider heal to toe stance, paraphrasing but general idea:

Your plate stance is simple, its just like sitting on a barstool, then you lean forward a little bit to grab your beer. Only difference is the height of that bar stool changes with each batter.

Funny thing is I don't drink, but there was something in that description that has helped my stance become more comfortable. Can't really tell you what I am doing different but something has changed since i got that visual in my head and it feels a lot better.

IRISHMAFIA Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED (Post 550597)
He was working with someone trying to get them to get the wider heal to toe stance, paraphrasing but general idea:

Your plate stance is simple, its just like sitting on a barstool, then you lean forward a little bit to grab your beer. Only difference is the height of that bar stool changes with each batter.

Funny thing is I don't drink, but there was something in that description that has helped my stance become more comfortable. Can't really tell you what I am doing different but something has changed since i got that visual in my head and it feels a lot better.

I would think that sitting down to milk a cow is more definitive, but whatever works for you. :D

BTW, no leaning forward. My experience is that the shoulders will move forward without thought when you drop your hands down in front of you just for balance purposes. You start thinking about leaning in and all of a sudden that swoosh you hear is the bat passing your ear.

SRW Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 550622)
I would think that sitting down to milk a cow is more definitive, but whatever works for you. :D

BTW, no leaning forward. My experience is that the shoulders will move forward without thought when you drop your hands down in front of you just for balance purposes. You start thinking about leaning in and all of a sudden that swoosh you hear is the bat passing your ear.

I disagree - to a point. A slight lean forward is better than a straight back. If you're straight-back, you can easily lose your balance and fall backwards, and it puts all of the stress on your legs (not really a bad thing...). A slight forward lean balances your center of gravity better, and balances the stress between your legs and your torso.

Lean forward too much, and your body compensates by sticking your butt up higher in the air. Not a good thing.

Dakota Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRW (Post 550648)
...A slight forward lean balances your center of gravity better...

I suppose that might depend on how much of your center of gravity is already naturally "forward"... :D

IRISHMAFIA Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRW (Post 550648)
I disagree - to a point. A slight lean forward is better than a straight back. If you're straight-back, you can easily lose your balance and fall backwards, and it puts all of the stress on your legs (not really a bad thing...). A slight forward lean balances your center of gravity better, and balances the stress between your legs and your torso.

Go back and reread. I don't think we disagree.

I did not suggest a "straight back", though that is the term used. I specifically noted that unless you intentionally attempt to keep your spine perpendicular to the ground (ouch!), the top of your body will naturally move forward. When I said "no leaning", I meant (and thought clarified) to not intentionally lean forward as it may not be necessary and may place your mellon in jeopardy.

I have seen umpire intentionally lean forward and they adjust their foot for balance and all of a sudden, they are hooking the catcher.

SRW Fri Nov 14, 2008 01:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 550671)
Go back and reread. I don't think we disagree.

I did not suggest a "straight back", though that is the term used. I specifically noted that unless you intentionally attempt to keep your spine perpendicular to the ground (ouch!), the top of your body will naturally move forward. When I said "no leaning", I meant (and thought clarified) to not intentionally lean forward as it may not be necessary and may place your mellon in jeopardy.

I have seen umpire intentionally lean forward and they adjust their foot for balance and all of a sudden, they are hooking the catcher.

Gotcha. Yeah, we agree. If you go set, you should be able to look straight up by moving your head, not adjusting your body. If you have to adjust your body to look straight up because your neck is craned backwards, it's because you're leaning forward too much.

DaveASA/FED Fri Nov 14, 2008 02:54pm

Quote:

I agree, when he was dimenstrating the stance he went straight down as he went set, then leaned forward to a natural position when he mentioned leaning forward a little bit. He was not suggesting to lean forward (to a bad position) but more of a be naturally bent forward a little bit. I know reading what I put I agree with you not a good thing to say to lean forward too much, but with the visual it makes all the sense in the world :D Yet another reason it pays to go to these clinics, you can read it all day but you see it in action and it sinks in 100X better, IMO.

Gulf Coast Blue Fri Nov 14, 2008 03:28pm

I have been to two NUS' and found them to be very valuable. However........given the proximity to where I live and for financial reasons, I was not able to stay at the host hotel. I do wish that would have been different...........but given the schools were held within a 30-40 minute drive from me..........I could not really justify it.

Up until the time I had attended the ASA NUS, I had always thought of Wally Sparks as strictly our High School guy..............really enjoyed him at the ASA school.

Is Henry Pollard still doing any teaching..............he was an instructor at my first and was very entertaining.

Joel

IRISHMAFIA Fri Nov 14, 2008 06:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gulf Coast Blue (Post 550710)

Is Henry Pollard still doing any teaching..............he was an instructor at my first and was very entertaining.

Joel

To the best of my knowledge, Henry is not doing anything at the national level. He may be doing something locally in Central VA, but probably not a lot, if any.

Steve M Fri Nov 14, 2008 07:20pm

I went to a national school some years ago, in Philly, and thought it was well worth the time & expense. Not from what I learned at the school - that seemed, as others have noted, to be aimed at too low a level. Heck, I even found a volunteer catcher who had a hard time catching - I think he had a pitch bounce off of his knees:D

I want to highlight that the hospitality room was where the real benefit is. Where else can you have a 1-on-1 conversation with a NUS member -to say nothing of the regional or state uic's that are present?! I found a real benefit to this. And I met a number of other umpires from my region and others that confirmed some impressions and corrected a few misconceptions.

If you get a chance to go to one of these, go.

As for the advanced national school, maybe someday. Still too much going on now to take the time to attend.

AtlUmpSteve Fri Nov 14, 2008 07:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED (Post 550597)

Quote:

One point that comes out is that wording the same thing just differently often helps the message.

For whatever it is worth, I teach the visual to use is to sit down on a toilet. Same motion, just different wording that I find gets through to most.

IRISHMAFIA Sat Nov 15, 2008 08:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve M (Post 550763)
I went to a national school some years ago, in Philly, and thought it was well worth the time & expense. Not from what I learned at the school - that seemed, as others have noted, to be aimed at too low a level. Heck, I even found a volunteer catcher who had a hard time catching - I think he had a pitch bounce off of his knees:D

Maybe that is because the "batter" failed to follow then instructions given him. Any idea who that was, Steve? :rolleyes:

Steve M Sat Nov 15, 2008 08:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 550919)
Maybe that is because the "batter" failed to follow then instructions given him. Any idea who that was, Steve? :rolleyes:

Yeah, I think I remember that batter - had a history of ignoring/missing signs when I played, as I recall.:D

IRISHMAFIA Sat Nov 15, 2008 08:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve M (Post 550921)
Yeah, I think I remember that batter - had a history of ignoring/missing signs when I played, as I recall.:D

I'll see Bobby Monday night and tell him you said hello. Guess you should expect to feel your ears burning around 8:30 PM

Steve M Sat Nov 15, 2008 09:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 550923)
I'll see Bobby Monday night and tell him you said hello. Guess you should expect to feel your ears burning around 8:30 PM

When you see him, Mike - tell him I really said hi. I didn't get to know him well, but he seemed like a good guy. I'll try to remember to hoist one - once I feel my ears burn:D