The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Check swing (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/49503-check-swing.html)

topper Thu Oct 23, 2008 09:53pm

Check swing

The SUIP staff is having, or at least considering having, the PU going to whichever base umpire is on the line in the 3 man system on all check swings.

Any thoughts?

JEL Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by topper (Post 545320)
The NUIP staff is having, or at least considering having, the PU going to whichever base umpire is on the line in the 3 man system on all check swings.

Any thoughts?

Requested or not?

socalumps Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:07pm

Quote:

The NUIP staff is having, or at least considering having, the PU going to whichever base umpire is on the line in the 3 man system on all check swings.

Any thoughts?

I'll go with the SUIP staff...and I think it makes sense!!

IRISHMAFIA Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:37pm

Quote:

Any thoughts?

So, with a RHP and a runner on 2B, they are going to U3 for a check swing?

socalumps Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:43pm

Check swings are only appealable to an umpire on the line.

topper Fri Oct 24, 2008 06:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by socalumps (Post 545324)
I'll go with the SUIP staff...and I think it makes sense!!

Yeah, them too. Initialism corrected.

IRISHMAFIA Fri Oct 24, 2008 07:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by socalumps (Post 545343)
Check swings are only appealable to an umpire on the line.

So the answer to my question was "yes"?

If so, my opinion is that it is just another change .....nevermind, wasting the keystrokes especially with the ivory tower crowd.

CajunNewBlue Fri Oct 24, 2008 08:06am

Quote:

The SUIP staff is having, or at least considering having, the PU going to whichever base umpire is on the line in the 3 man system on all check swings.

Any thoughts?

As of a few weeks ago this was the mandated mechanic.... only thing i question is, in the rotated position with a left handed batter they want you to goto U1 when IMHO U3 might have a better look at it. but i just do what they tell me.
if i dont ask the wrong BU!! (thats for whiskers_ump)
:D

wadeintothem Fri Oct 24, 2008 08:17am

mandating "going for help" is just a waste, especially at lower levels. Some times the batters barely twitch and they want to go for help. "Recommending" is better than mandating to leave open the door for umpire discretion depending on the situation.

CajunNewBlue Fri Oct 24, 2008 08:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadeintothem (Post 545409)
mandating "going for help" is just a waste, especially at lower levels. Some times the batters barely twitch and they want to go for help. "Recommending" is better than mandating to leave open the door for umpire discretion depending on the situation.

going to the BU on the line i meant, was the "mandated" part... and I was only thinking about NCAA (not the lower levels)... I shouldn't have used that word... my bad.

Skahtboi Fri Oct 24, 2008 08:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CajunNewBlue (Post 545415)
... and I was only thinking about NCAA (not the lower levels)...

Uh oh. You might just have gone and stepped on a few toes! :eek:

CajunNewBlue Fri Oct 24, 2008 08:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skahtboi (Post 545420)
Uh oh. You might just have gone and stepped on a few toes! :eek:

yeah.. i like the way my sneakers taste..sigh
but what the heck... most of the ppl in here dont care about toe stepping... and i have copies of the post to prove it :D

SRW Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:34am

Suip?

Other than the Samoan United Independent Party, what's SUIP?

CajunNewBlue Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:49am

Softball Umpire Improvement Program

topper Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 545393)
So the answer to my question was "yes"?

If so, my opinion is that it is just another change .....nevermind, wasting the keystrokes especially with the ivory tower crowd.

Put aside from where the change came, why it was made, and who it affects. Forget how long we've been doing it the other way. Considering the angles and depth perception each of the 2 positions (on the line or rotated / your favorite, counter-rotated) offer, which umpire can make the most informed decision?