The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Tournaments (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/4941-tournaments.html)

tulsablue Tue May 14, 2002 04:48pm

I am curious do all organizations have fastpitch tournaments every weekend. This past weekend our association had 17 fields going on a saturday all different age brackets. Do other associations see this type of action on a weekend? Also, do you see nationwide a reduction in emphasis on league play and more on tournaments?

Gulf Coast Blue Tue May 14, 2002 08:39pm

Depends.........League play is still the norm here.......but there can be a tournamanet found just about every weekend throughout the year too........

My district hosts at least one age group every weekend throughout league ball season..........but not all of them MAKE.......during Non-League times........many tournaments are hosted also........

This past weekend........Associations in our District hosted a (14U - 18U combined)/12U/10U.......the 10U was the only one that survived........24 teams.......

Tournament directors will many times shut down tournaments here unless a minimum # of teams committ.........I guess the 14U/18U and the 12U tournaments did not meet the minimum......

Money does make the world go around..........grin

Joel

whiskers_ump Tue May 14, 2002 10:18pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Gulf Coast Blue
Depends.........League play is still the norm here.......but there can be a tournamanet found just about every weekend throughout the year too........

My district hosts at least one age group every weekend throughout league ball season..........but not all of them MAKE.......during Non-League times........many tournaments are hosted also........

This past weekend........Associations in our District hosted a (14U - 18U combined)/12U/10U.......the 10U was the only one that survived........24 teams.......

Tournament directors will many times shut down tournaments here unless a minimum # of teams committ.........I guess the 14U/18U and the 12U tournaments did not meet the minimum......

Money does make the world go around..........grin

Joel

Joel,

I got two invites this upcoming week-end. One to El Campo,
and the other back to Baseball USA....Guess which one I want.
Guys, you gotta see this BaseBall USA complex...All dugouts
are equipped with electric cold water fountains, the umpire
housing has ice-maker, drink machines, coffee makers, two
showers and lockers that you furnish the lock and key for..
Truely a pleasure to be assigned to this complex for a week-
emd tournament. Location...Houston, Texas.

glen

Andy Wed May 15, 2002 01:00pm

Phoenix, AZ.

Starting this coming weekend, we will have FP tourneys every weekend through the end of July. After that, we will drop to 1-2 weekend tourneys per month with the last one being the first weekend of December.

We start back up with one a month Jan - Apr. HS ball starts at the end of Feb and goes through the second weekend in May.

Most of the action on the weeknights is rec league play. Mostly Apr - end of June.

Gulf Coast Blue Wed May 15, 2002 08:03pm

Quote:

Originally posted by whiskers_ump

Joel,

I got two invites this upcoming week-end. One to El Campo,
and the other back to Baseball USA....Guess which one I want.
Guys, you gotta see this BaseBall USA complex...All dugouts
are equipped with electric cold water fountains, the umpire
housing has ice-maker, drink machines, coffee makers, two
showers and lockers that you furnish the lock and key for..
Truely a pleasure to be assigned to this complex for a week-
emd tournament. Location...Houston, Texas.

glen

glen...........sickness has devistated the household this week.......

But.........if everything works out right........I may be able to run up your way with the girls this weekend.......

What days/times are you calling.......??

BTW..........glen is right.......the Baseball/Softball USA complex is amazing........if you were an Umpire and wanted to design a complex........this is IT.....I am sure they had some officials help out.......because it is TOO good.........

Joel

whiskers_ump Thu May 16, 2002 05:38am

As of this time, I am working all day Sat., I have another
here locally on Sunday, that I don't see anyway out of..but
that is ok, 7-8 games Sat. will be fine...BB USA starts at
9:00 AM.

glen