The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Botched Squeeze, Tag @ 3rd (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/49265-botched-squeeze-tag-3rd.html)

IRISHMAFIA Fri Oct 10, 2008 07:05pm

Quote:

Soccer is, of course, the No. 1 youth participation sport in the country about four million kids under 18 play in youth leagues and millions more play on their own but Klosterman argues those numbers are misleading.
Yeah, part of that amount is due to ignorance. I love it when I as a parent, "why soccer" and they say, because they believe it is the safest summer sport.

I just laugh.

wadeintothem Fri Oct 10, 2008 07:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SethPDX (Post 542497)
As for Mr. Drake, who ran an excellent site and seemed like a great guy, a well-respected poster on the baseball board suggested that soon, no MiLB or MLB exec will care that he has a website...

wow that is hopeful news.

topper Fri Oct 10, 2008 08:11pm

I'm a couple days late watching the video. I've been busy trying to convince some people that what we do has some monetary value. :D

I don't work baseball, so don't know their rules/interps other than what I have read on here. If this happened in a game I am working, I would probably rule safe. I was taught when considering control in these tag situations that if the ball comes out during an act associated with the tag itself, it is not controlled. To me, since the catcher's dive to make the tag was the same dive that dislodged the ball, he is still in the act of tagging the runner. However, I'm always open to enlightenment.

SethPDX Fri Oct 10, 2008 09:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadeintothem (Post 542531)
wow that is hopeful news.

I would love to see the site back and I really wish Rob the best. He seems like a great guy who wants to help all umpires, whatever level they work. Read this thread, though:
http://forum.officiating.com/showthread.php?t=49096
I wish Tim C. was 100% wrong just this once.

wadeintothem Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SethPDX (Post 542539)
I would love to see the site back and I really wish Rob the best. He seems like a great guy who wants to help all umpires, whatever level they work. Read this thread, though:
http://forum.officiating.com/showthread.php?t=49096
I wish Tim C. was 100% wrong just this once.

Thanks for the link!

Looks like sewing circle chatter to me.
hmm.. Lets pretend for a second tim is a high school baseball umpire.. oh that's right, he is. Tim knows exactly nothing of the content of Rob's MLB Umpire Evaluations. Give me a break.

What ever happens happens, and is WELL above Tim C's pay grade.

I also wish Rob Drake the best.

IRISHMAFIA Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by topper (Post 542534)
I don't work baseball, so don't know their rules/interps other than what I have read on here. If this happened in a game I am working, I would probably rule safe. I was taught when considering control in these tag situations that if the ball comes out during an act associated with the tag itself, it is not controlled. To me, since the catcher's dive to make the tag was the same dive that dislodged the ball, he is still in the act of tagging the runner. However, I'm always open to enlightenment.

I briefly mentioned this in another post. For those who mistakenly (:D) believe that the fielder must maintain control of the ball after the tag has been made and glove withdrawn, how do you compare that with losing control of a ball "on the transfer" after a force out at a base?

Is the logic not the same? Fielder touching base, catches the ball (out) and then drops it when trying to remove the ball to make a subsequent play.

Skahtboi Sun Oct 12, 2008 03:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 541796)
Don't trust you with the porn, huh? :D;)

That must be it! :rolleyes:

I did just view the video at home though, where I can watch all of the porn that I want to, and to me it seems to be a very simple call. The umpire got it correct and Soscia got it wrong.

wadeintothem Sun Oct 12, 2008 07:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 542544)
For those who mistakenly (:D) believe that the fielder must maintain control of the ball after the tag has been made and glove withdrawn,

Hey now, did you sneak in a "and glove withdrawn" when no one was looking and now quantify your mistaken nanosecond tagout/lose ball = out belief?:D

topper Mon Oct 13, 2008 07:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 542544)
Is the logic not the same? Fielder touching base, catches the ball (out) and then drops it when trying to remove the ball to make a subsequent play.

I think the key words here are "subsequent play". I agree there is no length of time to establish control, but there are actions involved with the play itself and subsequent actions that are not. However long it takes the player to finish the former and move on to the latter is how long it takes to convinve me of control.

IRISHMAFIA Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by topper (Post 542771)
I think the key words here are "subsequent play". I agree there is no length of time to establish control, but there are actions involved with the play itself and subsequent actions that are not. However long it takes the player to finish the former and move on to the latter is how long it takes to convinve me of control.

Maybe that's the difference in our opinion. I don't look for the control, but lack of it. I'm not looking to be convinced of anything. If a scenario may require a player to "sell" something, then maybe I might need to be convinced s/he is correct, but not normally.

topper Mon Oct 13, 2008 01:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 542811)
Maybe that's the difference in our opinion. I don't look for the control, but lack of it. I'm not looking to be convinced of anything. If a scenario may require a player to "sell" something, then maybe I might need to be convinced s/he is correct, but not normally.

Whether you look for lack of control and see it or I look for control and don't see it, we come to the same conclusion - lack of control. You may have to explain the difference more thoroughly.

As far as being convinced, I probably should have said what I need to be convinced of is that any lack of control is due to actions involving a subsequent play. If not convinced, I would not have an out.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:52am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1