The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Odd Ground Rules (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/49213-odd-ground-rules.html)

SRW Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:10am

Odd Ground Rules

Bkbjones' post in the other thread got me thinking about some of the odd and unusual local ground rules for various parks.

Some we have here:
- South Park Community Center Fields - foul balls over the first base fenceline (or third base fenceline on the other field) and into the street is an out and disqualifies the player.
- South Mercer Playfield #2 - homeruns hit over the second fence into a backyard is an out and disqualifies the player. (this is the one bkbjones mentioned)
- Rainier Playfield, NW field - down the left field line about 250 feet is an asphalt path. Balls hit to or over the path are a 2-base award.

Got any of your own? :)

Dakota Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:18am

You didn't mention kitchen timers on the backstop disqualifies the umpire! ;)

CoachP Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRW (Post 540916)
Bkbjones' post in the other thread got me thinking about some of the odd and unusual local ground rules for various parks.

Some we have here:
- South Park Community Center Fields - foul balls over the first base fenceline (or third base fenceline on the other field) and into the street is an out and disqualifies the player.
- South Mercer Playfield #2 - homeruns hit over the second fence into a backyard is an out and disqualifies the player. (this is the one bkbjones mentioned)
- Rainier Playfield, NW field - down the left field line about 250 feet is an asphalt path. Balls hit to or over the path are a 2-base award.

Got any of your own? :)

2 Rec league parks.

Fence is so short on one field, only 1 HR allowed per team per game....make sure it's a salami!

Another one, RF fence has a steep angle towards center similar to Fenway. (~200' down the line and ~400' straightaway center. Over the fence is a HR anywhere except from the RF foul pole to the extra "GR double pole" in right center.

Skahtboi Fri Oct 03, 2008 03:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoachP (Post 540997)
Fence is so short on one field, only 1 HR allowed per team per game....make sure it's a salami!

:confused::confused::confused::

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Salami_aka.jpg

:confused::confused::confused:

CoachP Fri Oct 03, 2008 03:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skahtboi (Post 541040)
:confused::confused::confused::

:confused::confused::confused:

the hot catch phrase of the 90's for a grand slam...a salami...am I that old???

NCASAUmp Fri Oct 03, 2008 03:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoachP (Post 541045)
the hot catch phrase of the 90's for a grand slam...a salami...am I that old???

I think the default answer is "yes," regardless of truth. :p

bkbjones Sat Oct 04, 2008 07:34pm

In the Greater Seattle Area and other environs blessed with Dave Niehaus for baseball on the radio, we know that rye bread and mustard are required with the salami.

Of course there are so many kinds of mustard any more, you could probably get by with almost anything. My personal favorite is Honey Mustard from Beaver (ready for the jokes, but this is a fact, and if you don't get honey mustard from Beaver that is just toooooooo bad).

SethPDX Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:47pm

Yep, down in Portland we have our salamis with rye bread and mustard. Not too many of them this season, though. But if we have to endure the Mariners I'm glad to do it listening to Niehaus and Rizzs. I liked Fairly when he was around, too.

(And Safeco Field takes away the pain of watching them in person).

bkbjones Mon Oct 06, 2008 02:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SethPDX (Post 541185)
Yep, down in Portland we have our salamis with rye bread and mustard. Not too many of them this season, though. But if we have to endure the Mariners I'm glad to do it listening to Niehaus and Rizzs. I liked Fairly when he was around, too.

(And Safeco Field takes away the pain of watching them in person).

You mean Fairly Obvious? :eek:

My mother-in-law, a great lady and huge baseball fan, can't stand Rizzs. I have known Rick since the mid-70s when he was the play by play voice in Amarillo.

bluezebra Fri Oct 17, 2008 01:11am

Yep, down in Portland we have our salamis with rye bread and mustard.

When I still lived in Chicago, a slice of (or even a whole) Kosher dill pickle was required.

Bob