The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Full grain or patent leather? (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/48981-full-grain-patent-leather.html)

7in60 Tue Sep 16, 2008 08:59pm

Full grain or patent leather?

I'm buying a pair of base shoes for next season. I prefer the look of full grain but I've never owned patent leather. I heard something negative about them, possibly here. Do some UICs dislike them? Is care different?

What do you guys prefer?

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Tue Sep 16, 2008 09:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7in60
I'm buying a pair of base shoes for next season. I prefer the look of full grain but I've never owned patent leather. I heard something negative about them, possibly here. Do dome UICs dislike them? Is care different?

What do you guys prefer?

Full grain is my preference.

MTD, Sr.

SethPDX Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:39pm

Most softball associations prefer their umpires not wear patent leather. I like full grain anyway.

Steve M Wed Sep 17, 2008 03:43am

I've used patent leather in the past - and I like the look.
However, their use is "frowned" on - and I'll just leave it at that.
I've used the NB shoes this year, and they look good. They are almost as easy to clean as the patent leather. And these shoes really feel good on my feet.

7in60 Wed Sep 17, 2008 06:36am

My sales rep (who's an umpire) asked why I didn't want patent leather. He says full grain wear out faster and patent are easier to clean.

IRISHMAFIA Wed Sep 17, 2008 06:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7in60 (Post 537541)
My sales rep (who's an umpire) asked why I didn't want patent leather. He says full grain wear out faster and patent are easier to clean.

I'm wearing the same NB I have for the last four years. Beside, the upper is usually irrelevant to the wear of the shoe. The sole/heel and stitching will go long before the leather will regardless of how it has been processed. That is assuming the shoes are taken care of properly.

And did your buddy tell you that patent leather shoes do not breathe very well and can be the perfect incubator for athlete's foot for those who sweat?

Personally, I don't care for patent leather. As my father (48 yrs of experience in a leather factory) used to say, "patent leather is for women's shoes." Take it for what it is worth, in the past that was a very true statement.

Skahtboi Wed Sep 17, 2008 08:54am

As has already been stated, there are many organizations and UIC's who frown upon the use of patent leather. You can't go wrong with full grain, and if you polish them up right, they are just as easy to keep clean and shiny without looking too "showy."

7in60 Wed Sep 17, 2008 05:15pm

Thanks, guys. I'm sticking with full grain.

MichaelVA2000 Wed Sep 17, 2008 05:17pm

If you plan on doing any college softball, do not buy patent leather. NCAA Softball does not want their umpires wearing any patent leather.