The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   IS this right ? (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/48724-right.html)

Chess Ref Sat Sep 13, 2008 07:57pm

IS this right ?

I'm BU. R1 on 1B. Standard pitch, batter pretending to bunt, runner stealing.

As F2 throws the ball towards 2B, batter moves across the plate and gets plunked in the head. PU,at this point has nothing. Ball goes down the 1B line and me and runner are bolting to 3B. We get there and PU calls time.

He then asks me if we can have interference, even if its late.

So I thought we could and so we had the batter out and runner returned to 1B.

There is a reason for an immediate dead ball on interference and I was reminded of the reason today. I'm pretty sure we got it right but it looked horrible, as in really not good. :eek:

So can we come up with a delayed interference on this play ?

shipwreck Sat Sep 13, 2008 09:04pm

Right or wrong, I tend to be a little slow to call interference on certain calls. Since interference is a dead ball and obstruction DDB, I sometimes let my brain run through the play to see if it is interference or obstruction. Say a ball hit up the middle and there is contact between SS and runner. I need to think, did the SS or another fielder have a chance to get an out? If it is obstruction I can put my left arm out. If it turns out it was obstruction and I kill it, I have some explaining to do. Dave

IRISHMAFIA Sun Sep 14, 2008 09:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chess Ref
I'm BU. R1 on 1B. Standard pitch, batter pretending to bunt, runner stealing.

As F2 throws the ball towards 2B, batter moves across the plate and gets plunked in the head. PU,at this point has nothing. Ball goes down the 1B line and me and runner are bolting to 3B. We get there and PU calls time.

He then asks me if we can have interference, even if its late.

So I thought we could and so we had the batter out and runner returned to 1B.

There is a reason for an immediate dead ball on interference and I was reminded of the reason today. I'm pretty sure we got it right but it looked horrible, as in really not good. :eek:

So can we come up with a delayed interference on this play ?

Speaking ASA

What the hell is "delayed interference"? Do you have a signal for it? :rolleyes:

No, this is interference, was interference in the past and will be in the future. The batter has no purpose or right to move out of the batter's box in any direction and interfere with a play.

WestMichBlue Sun Sep 14, 2008 06:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Speaking ASA

What the hell is "delayed interference"? Do you have a signal for it? :rolleyes:

I think that you missed his question, Mike. Can you retroactively call interference after the play is over? It is supposed to be an immediate dead ball. If you failed to think fast enough, can you still call it later?

My answer is "yes, you can." Doesn't look pretty - but if it was the right call then - it is still the right call.

WMB

7in60 Sun Sep 14, 2008 06:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by WestMichBlue
I think that you missed his question, Mike. Can you retroactively call interference after the play is over? It is supposed to be an immediate dead ball. If you failed to think fast enough, can you still call it later?

My answer is "yes, you can." Doesn't look pretty - but if it was the right call then - it is still the right call.

WMB

Agreed. Get the call right, even if it's delayed. Then call it immediately the next time you see it. (or the time after that. or...)

IRISHMAFIA Sun Sep 14, 2008 07:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by WestMichBlue
I think that you missed his question, Mike.

No, I didn't miss the question. :D

Chess Ref Sun Sep 14, 2008 08:05pm

Should I have called it "retroactive interference" ?:rolleyes:

socalumps Sun Sep 14, 2008 09:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
No, I didn't miss the question. :D

Then why didn't you answer it??:D