The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   ASA Play (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/46666-asa-play.html)

IRISHMAFIA Sun Jul 27, 2008 07:34pm

ASA Play

ASA FP

Bottom of 7th, tie score. One out, 1B & 2B occupied. Runners off with pitch, batter hits a high pop-up. PU calls IF and ball lands in the infield between the PP & 2B. Runners do not hesitate in their initial advance. The ball had a back spin that draws it back toward the plate.

Still in the box, the catcher grabs the ball and trys to tag R1 out, but too late. Catcher's throw to 3B is also late. OC now has pitcher appeal R2 missing 2B.

BU rules R2 out on the appeal. PU declares R1's run does not count because R2 passed the base prior to the run scoring.

Do you agree? If not, what is your call?

BTW, this is it, there is no more information. WYSIWYG. If you don't read it here, it didn't happen.

Dholloway1962 Sun Jul 27, 2008 07:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
ASA FP

batter hits a high pop-up....PU calls IF and ball lands in the infield between the PP & 2B....The ball had a back spin that draws it back toward the plate....
Still in the box, the catcher grabs the ball

No one touched the ball until it was in foul territory (I am assuming catcher's box according to your post) No mention of anyone else touching the ball but the catcher. I have a foul ball.

NCASAUmp Sun Jul 27, 2008 08:10pm

If the ball was first touched in foul territory, then you just have a foul ball. If the ball was first touched in fair territory, then it was a fair ball, and the IFF took the force off R1 and R2. Since R2 was not forced to advance to 2B, the appeal is a timing play. If the appeal was before R1 crossed, then R1 doesn't score. If it was after, R1 counts.

SRW Sun Jul 27, 2008 09:27pm

Didn't you do this to us last year? Same play?

IRISHMAFIA Sun Jul 27, 2008 09:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRW
Didn't you do this to us last year? Same play?

No

SRW Sun Jul 27, 2008 09:32pm

Need more info.
Quote:

Still in the box, the catcher grabs the ball and trys to tag R1 out, but too late.

Where was the ball when the catcher touched it?

IRISHMAFIA Sun Jul 27, 2008 09:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRW
Need more info.
Where was the ball when the catcher touched it?

No, all the necessary information was provided, just as stated at the bottom of the post.

Skahtboi Sun Jul 27, 2008 09:37pm

Then I am leaning toward Dave's answer, though I am certainly going to reread and mull this over because I feel like there might be something I am missing.

SRW Sun Jul 27, 2008 09:43pm

Quote:

No, all the necessary information was provided, just as stated at the bottom of the post.

Then my answer is the same as Dave's. "if... then... if... then..."

wadeintothem Sun Jul 27, 2008 09:44pm

Its a trap! :D

IRISHMAFIA Sun Jul 27, 2008 09:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRW
Then my answer is the same as Dave's. "if... then... if... then..."

Then you are reading into the play which I specifically noted to not do.

NCASAUmp Sun Jul 27, 2008 09:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadeintothem
Its a trap! :D

Admiral Ackbar to the bridge, please.

Rachel Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:21pm

The question is if the ball is a fair ball if the baseline is a line from 1st to 3rd or if the baseline is from 1st to 2nd to 3rd. I think that in softball it is a line from 1st to 3rd and this would be a fair ball.

Timing play - force was off.

NCASAUmp Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rachel
The question is if the ball is a fair ball if the baseline is a line from 1st to 3rd or if the baseline is from 1st to 2nd to 3rd. I think that in softball it is a line from 1st to 3rd and this would be a fair ball.

Timing play - force was off.

And so how would you judge whether it crossed this line? I've got very little on the field with which to judge this.

Dakota Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:16am

Quote:

...OC now has pitcher appeal R2 missing 2B.

BU rules R2 out on the appeal. PU declares R1's run does not count because R2 passed the base prior to the run scoring.

Do you agree? If not, what is your call?

BTW, this is it, there is no more information. WYSIWYG. If you don't read it here, it didn't happen.

Notice in all this, the only calls made were the ruling on the appeal and the subsequent ruling that R1's run does not count because of the appeal being a force play.

I do not agree.

If the ball was a fair ball, the BR is out on the IFF, and the appeal was a timing play, not a force play. Run scores.

If the ball was a foul ball, the appeal is moot and the runners return.

So, no matter whether the ball was fair or foul, I disagree with the call(s).