The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 25, 2008, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Did we blow this one or not.

I'm BU in C position with R1 on 3rd. Right handed batter, pitcher who uses tons of junk on ball, she has EXEMPTIONAL drop ball.
Pitch comes to B1 who swings and makes contact, B1 is also moving at the same time, batted ball shoots out about 10ft contacts the ground and comes straight back towards home plate, B1 had immediately let the bat go. Bat and ball make contact clearly in the air. I saw it plain as day, hesatated a second to see if my partner was going to call it then I killed the play. Partner comes out looking at me so I told him bat contacted ball. After a very brief meeting in which I told him I could not tell for sure if contact was over fair terriotory or not. He said if there was deffinet contact it was in fair,( he had said he did not see contact as B1 had started to cut in front of his view but he heard it) as he had full view of the foul line and the ball never appeared near the line so he ruled batter out.
OC comes to discuss it and he tells the coach, "My partner saw the contact & I'm 100 % sure contact was in fair terriotory so batter is out. OC says that batter was still in batters box at time of contact but PU said since bat was in the air at time of contact, not in batters hands then B! is out as long as contact is in fair.
Question 1, was this handled right mechanically as a crew.
2 if batter is still considered in box does it matter if bat is out of hand attime of contact.

I work under the CASA rule book but a lot of our rules and mechanics are the same so any feed back would be appreciated.

Dale
Old Fri Jul 25, 2008, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canump
I'm BU in C position with R1 on 3rd. Right handed batter, pitcher who uses tons of junk on ball, she has EXEMPTIONAL drop ball.
Pitch comes to B1 who swings and makes contact, B1 is also moving at the same time, batted ball shoots out about 10ft contacts the ground and comes straight back towards home plate, B1 had immediately let the bat go. Bat and ball make contact clearly in the air. I saw it plain as day, hesatated a second to see if my partner was going to call it then I killed the play. Partner comes out looking at me so I told him bat contacted ball. After a very brief meeting in which I told him I could not tell for sure if contact was over fair terriotory or not. He said if there was deffinet contact it was in fair,( he had said he did not see contact as B1 had started to cut in front of his view but he heard it) as he had full view of the foul line and the ball never appeared near the line so he ruled batter out.
OC comes to discuss it and he tells the coach, "My partner saw the contact & I'm 100 % sure contact was in fair terriotory so batter is out. OC says that batter was still in batters box at time of contact but PU said since bat was in the air at time of contact, not in batters hands then B! is out as long as contact is in fair.
Question 1, was this handled right mechanically as a crew.
2 if batter is still considered in box does it matter if bat is out of hand attime of contact.

I work under the CASA rule book but a lot of our rules and mechanics are the same so any feed back would be appreciated.

Dale
You got it right on both counts. Good Job.
Old Fri Jul 25, 2008, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

I think there is a bigger question here. If the batter simply dropped the bat, your description sounds as if the ball came back to the bat.

Is it reasonable to hold the batter accountable for discarding the bat in an area the ball probable should not have been only to have the ball hit the bat?
Old Fri Jul 25, 2008, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA

Is it reasonable to hold the batter accountable for discarding the bat in an area the ball probable should not have been only to have the ball hit the bat?
I was wondering the same thing.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Fri Jul 25, 2008, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think there is a bigger question here. If the batter simply dropped the bat, your description sounds as if the ball came back to the bat.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Depending on the level of play, you just might. After all, the batter intentionally released the bat AND had full control of where they released it.
Bat hits ball or the bat & ball meet in the air, I've got an out. Ball hits bat, I've got nothing.
Old Fri Jul 25, 2008, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

I am pretty sure I would be ruling this a live ball. The batter has discarded the bat and the ball returns backwards and hits the bat.. the bat did not his the ball.

Player position box/out of box has nothing to do with it.

SInce it was agreed the ball was fair, this seems very much a live ball.. or very probably such.
Old Sat Jul 26, 2008, 05:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I should have stated that the ball had come towards the batter in the same motion when conacted the ground, it shot upwards and arced to wards the batter so when the batter dropped her bat it was in a forward type motion so when the contact was made, the bat was going towards the ball and the ball was going towards the bat.
Dale
Old Sat Jul 26, 2008, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I should have stated that the ball had come towards the batter in the same motion when conacted the ground, it shot upwards and arced to wards the batter so when the batter dropped her bat it was in a forward type motion so when the contact was made, the bat was going towards the ball and the ball was going towards the bat.
Dale
That is the information we needed. If the bat was moving towards the ball, out is the call.

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Sat Jul 26, 2008 at 08:51pm.
Old Sat Jul 26, 2008, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Reasonable or not, as I recently got schooled on in another thread, by rule the batter is out.
________
DEPAKOTE WITHDRAW

Last edited by youngump; Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 06:20pm.
Old Sat Jul 26, 2008, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump
Reasonable or not, as I recently got schooled on in another thread, by rule the batter is out.
Not sure what you mean.. you either have a judgment that the bat went into the ball and an out OR the ball into the bat and a live ball.
Old Sat Jul 26, 2008, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Bat and ball make contact clearly in the air. I saw it plain as day,

Dale

Made it kinda simple to me.
Old Sat Jul 26, 2008, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
Not sure what you mean.. you either have a judgment that the bat went into the ball and an out OR the ball into the bat and a live ball.
As I learned in the other thread and confirmed later in the rulebook: a batter is out when the bat hits the ball a second time. Exception, the batter is not out if the bat is on the ground and the ball hits the bat.

In this case the bat is not on the ground so the exception does not apply.
________
Glass Pipe

Last edited by youngump; Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 06:20pm.
Old Sat Jul 26, 2008, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump
As I learned in the other thread and confirmed later in the rulebook: a batter is out when the bat hits the ball a second time. Exception, the batter is not out if the bat is on the ground and the ball hits the bat.

In this case the bat is not on the ground so the exception does not apply.
I did not catch that the bat was not on the ground until jel and you pointed it out. You are correct! Thanks.
Old Sun Jul 27, 2008, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
I did not catch that the bat was not on the ground until jel and you pointed it out. You are correct! Thanks.
Does that mean all the confusion in this thread was because someone missed

"Bat and ball make contact clearly in the air" and
"bat was in the air at time of contact"

in the OP?
Old Sun Jul 27, 2008, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
Does that mean all the confusion in this thread was because someone missed

"Bat and ball make contact clearly in the air" and
"bat was in the air at time of contact"

in the OP?
I don't believe that was the cause of confusion. I think the lack of the additional information (bat moving toward the ball) which was provided afterwards is what caused the confusion.