The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   LBR mechanics (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/46386-lbr-mechanics.html)

scroobs Wed Jul 16, 2008 06:57am

LBR mechanics

What mechanics are used in 2 man to watch for LBR violations with runner on 3rd with a batter who has just earned a walk? (ASA)

MichaelVA2000 Wed Jul 16, 2008 07:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by scroobs
What mechanics are used in 2 man to watch for LBR violations with runner on 3rd with a batter who has just earned a walk? (ASA)

Has the BR reached first base?
Does F1 have the ball in the circle?

If both of those answers are yes and either runner is off the base for more than a few seconds without F1 making a play on them, there's a LBR violation. If both runners are off the base, bang the runner closest to home on the violation.

Dead Ball! Runner at third is out, LBR violation. Then prepare yourself for the chat you will be having with the OC.

CecilOne Wed Jul 16, 2008 07:33am

Quote:

I was going to quip "open eyes" but I decided to be serious. ;)

If you are asking who watches who, in any play the lead runner is the PU resp. and the trail is the BU resp. However, the PU observes the BR until 1st anyway, and the BU already was observing R1; so this could (should?) be a deviation. As BU, I would stay deep and watch both. Of course, once the BR/R2 stops, both are BU resp.

p.s. to Tom, feel free to question my sleepiness if I'm wrong ;)

MNBlue Wed Jul 16, 2008 09:16am

Quote:

What I've been doing with my partners:

PU should take the runner at third, obviously being aware of F1 and the BR, since the PU needs to know when the BR touches 1B and whether or not F1 makes a play.

The BU should take the BR.

Follow up question:

If BR proceeds to second, and F1 plays on her - creating a run down situation, AND R1 attempts to advance to home - creating another run down situation, (what a run on sentence this is becoming) should the BU come in behing R1 to box in the run down, leaving the BR? That is what I will do, once the defense commits to playing on R1.

Andy Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNBlue
...If BR proceeds to second, and F1 plays on her - creating a run down situation, AND R1 attempts to advance to home - creating another run down situation, (what a run on sentence this is becoming) should the BU come in behing R1 to box in the run down, leaving the BR? That is what I will do, once the defense commits to playing on R1.

Anytime there are multiple runners in a two-umpire system, I do not agree with boxing a rundown. By doing this, you are focusing both umpire's attention on a single runner and ignoring the others.

Even though the defense has "committed" to playing on one runner, stuff can still happen with the other runner that needs an umpires attention. When this situation happens in my game, I will yell at my partner - "I've got this runner, you stay with the other one(s)!"

scroobs Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy
Anytime there are multiple runners in a two-umpire system, I do not agree with boxing a rundown. By doing this, you are focusing both umpire's attention on a single runner and ignoring the others.

Even though the defense has "committed" to playing on one runner, stuff can still happen with the other runner that needs an umpires attention. When this situation happens in my game, I will yell at my partner - "I've got this runner, you stay with the other one(s)!"

I agree with that mechanic...and shouldn't the PU stay inside, in case they need to go home?

kcg NC2Ablu Thu Jul 17, 2008 05:34am

Quote:

I agree with that mechanic...and shouldn't the PU stay inside, in case they need to go home?

This situation with the rundown should go as follows. U1 is f'd and has to cover the rundown by themself. Plate umpire has to go to a holding zone between 3rd and home if the runner goes home and scores or is put out you can help out once the score or out has been made. If there is no rundown anymore you can atleast help your partner out at third if and onlly if you have time to get there