The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   infield fly??? (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/46375-infield-fly.html)

scroobs Tue Jul 15, 2008 09:27pm

infield fly???

With runners on first and second and no outs, the third batter in the inning hits a high pop foul between home and first base with the first baseman losing sight of the ball because of the sun. The ball lands on foul ground without being touched and rolls into fair territory halfway between home and first base. The pitcher picks up the ball and throws to the second baseman covering first base, who touches the runner with the ball while the latter is off base. What is the ruling?

Dholloway1962 Tue Jul 15, 2008 09:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by scroobs
With runners on first and second and no outs, the third batter in the inning hits a high pop foul between home and first base with the first baseman losing sight of the ball because of the sun. The ball lands on foul ground without being touched and rolls into fair territory halfway between home and first base. The pitcher picks up the ball and throws to the second baseman covering first base, who touches the runner with the ball while the latter is off base. What is the ruling?

Need a little more info....could the fly ball have been caught with ordinary effort?

If yes, then you have 2 outs (one on IFR and one on tag out at 1B). Infield Fly if fair...doesn't say it has to hit fair ground first, just a fair ball. (On the opposite, if it had hit fair then rolled foul you have a foul ball and no outs).

If not ordinary effort then you have to ask did the second baseman touch the bag? If so than you have a double play. If not (she just touched the runner and not bag) then you have one out and the BR on 1B.

wadeintothem Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:09pm

Yes, I would have likely called "IF if fair". So the BR is out and the tagged runner is out.

You must remember the rule states "could be caught" .. not "should be" or "is".

As described, that ball seems catchable by ordinary effort, even though the fielder was unable to pull it in.

whiskers_ump Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:17pm

Remember also that the sun is not a negating factor with infield fly rule, only
wind, and then it better be hurricane force.:D

BigUmpJohn Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by scroobs

No lie, I think I wrote this question for a quiz site many moons ago. I think this play is pretty much word for word from an NFHS case book. The answer I put was: Dead ball and fair ball. The batter and runner who was tagged are out. The rationale I wrote down on this question was "Fair ball. Even though the infield fly rule was not called, it is still in effect. The batter, therefore, is out. The runner is also out." Can't remember why I said this was a dead ball though...

Skahtboi Thu Jul 17, 2008 01:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiskers_ump
... and then it better be hurricane force.:D

You know a thing or two about this, don't you? ;)

whiskers_ump Thu Jul 17, 2008 01:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skahtboi
You know a thing or two about this, don't you? ;)

Yes Sir Re Bob, still have not finished my house, but am in it.

kcg NC2Ablu Thu Jul 17, 2008 05:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadeintothem
Yes, I would have likely called "IF if fair". So the BR is out and the tagged runner is out.

You must remember the rule states "could be caught" .. not "should be" or "is".

As described, that ball seems catchable by ordinary effort, even though the fielder was unable to pull it in.

It must be a blue moon ... wade and I agree on something.... ;)

While it is a mouthful I usually say "Infield fly rule batter's out if fair" as I am signaling and moving into posistion to call my next play in this case up the line a little to straddle the line

MichaelVA2000 Thu Jul 17, 2008 07:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcg NC2Ablu
It must be a blue moon ... wade and I agree on something.... ;)

Carole King says it best:

I feel the earth move under my feet
I feel the sky tumbling down, tumbling down
I feel the earth move under my feet
I feel the sky tumbling down, tumbling down