The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   dead ball strike (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/46324-dead-ball-strike.html)

CecilOne Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:02am

dead ball strike

When a batter is struck by the pitch on a swinging strike, it is a dead ball strike.
It is uncaught by the catcher, but what about strike three. The dead ball means nothing can happen.
So, when the batter would be allowed to attempt 1st base, the batter can not attempt 1st, and the catcher can not tag the batter out.
What am I missing? Is this a conundrum that has a solution? I only checked three rule books and one case book, no clear answer found.

Skahtboi Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:11am

As you have noted, it is a dead ball, strike three, so nothing further can happen. I don't see a real conundrum here, though.

Dakota Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:23am

Too little sleep, Cecil? The ball was dead the moment it hit the batter. Nothing that happens after a dead ball matters. If the dead ball strike was strike 3, the batter is out.

whiskers_ump Mon Jul 14, 2008 01:35pm

I see nothing but a 'DEAD BALL". What else can happen? Maybe a doctor
for batter. Happened this weekend in NAFA Qualifier. Batter swung, made
contact with ball, but it broke her finger. Coach could not believe that it
was a simple out, since 3rd K. "Blue, it broke her finger." I was nice, made
no comment.

IRISHMAFIA Mon Jul 14, 2008 03:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiskers_ump
Coach could not believe that it
was a simple out, since 3rd K. "Blue, it broke her finger." I was nice, made
no comment.

Let me see, was something like this going through your mind:

"Coach, then maybe the next time she shouldn't hit the ball with it. Here's your sign!"

IamMatt Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:23pm

Was her broken finger part of the bat LOL?

CecilOne Tue Jul 15, 2008 07:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skahtboi
As you have noted, it is a dead ball, strike three, so nothing further can happen. I don't see a real conundrum here, though.

As Tom suggests, maybe that was too early for me to explain clearly.
The conundrum is that by the book, the batter is not out because the strike three was uncaught and if the ball is dead, the batter can not be tagged out or played out at 1st. The question is about what is in the rules.
I ruled her out, my partner agreed, no one argued, but I'm wondering how this is covered in my books (NCAA,NFHS,ASA,USSSA,PONY) and where.

wadeintothem Tue Jul 15, 2008 07:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne
As Tom suggests, maybe that was too early for me to explain clearly.
The conundrum is that by the book, the batter is not out because the strike three was uncaught and if the ball is dead, the batter can not be tagged out or played out at 1st. The question is about what is in the rules.
I ruled her out, my partner agreed, no one argued, but I'm wondering how this is covered in my books (NCAA,NFHS,ASA,USSSA,PONY) and where.

You are mixing up two rules that dont apply together. The ASA rule clearly states that a batter is out when the 3rd strike is swung at and the ball touches any part of the batter. The ball is dead, the batter is out.

CecilOne Tue Jul 15, 2008 07:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadeintothem
You are mixing up two rules that dont apply together. The ASA rule clearly states that a batter is out when the 3rd strike is swung at and the ball touches any part of the batter. The ball is dead, the batter is out.

I hadn't checked my ASA book, but I will now.
Thanks for posting on topic.

kcg NC2Ablu Tue Jul 15, 2008 08:19am

PONY 10-1-e says that when a pitched ball touches any part of the batter's person or clothing whether the ball was struck at or not.

The "play" in PONY book says “B1 swings at a pitched ball and the ball hits her hand while holding the bat."

The "ruling” a Strike shall be called and the ball will be dead. the hand is not part of the bat

NCAA 11.16.2.3 “ The ball touches any part of the batter’s person as she swings and misses for a third strike

Effect: the ball is dead, the batter is out, and each runner must return to the base last legally occupied at the time of the pitch

hope this could help a little

robbie Tue Jul 15, 2008 08:25am

NSA also spells it out.

"The batter is out when the 3rd strike is struck at and missed including if the ball touches any part of the batter's person."