The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Official Game Time (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/45989-official-game-time.html)

7in60 Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:49am

Official Game Time

I am under the impression that the game 'starts' when the pitcher enters the circle to take her warmups. Due to a coach complaining about the grace period cutting into the game time (he wanted to play 1:45 from the time the game started after the grace period was used), the league made a rule that the game starts when the first pitch is thrown. No problem, I will instruct the tams to take the field 5 mins early so the game starts "on time". I can't find it in the rule book. When is the official start time?

NCASAUmp Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:51am

Which rule association?

7in60 Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:57am

Softball Canada applies for me. What is common?

NCASAUmp Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:59am

ASA says the clock starts with the first pitch.

What "grace period" are you referring to?

Dholloway1962 Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:06am

ASA says 1st pitch for Championship play.
USSSA says after the plate conference with coaches end....only thing I like about USSSA :D

Personally, I do the following. I set my timer for one minute more than the game time. That gives the home team (after the coin toss) time to get on the field and warm up. Usually the first pitch will be pretty close to the actual game time. Example...if game time is 1 hour and 20 minutes, I set my timer for 1:21 minutes. Start immediately after coaches meeting at plate. (I also tell the coaches that so they can hurry the players along).

iowasoftballump Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:12am

I do what USSSA does as soon as the meeting is done and I have both coaches right there I announce the game time and go from there.

MGKBLUE Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:14am

Yes, for ASA the clock starts with the first pitch, not the first warm-up pitch.

What I normally do is set my watch with an extra minute, i.e. 1 hour 45 game, set at 1 hour 46.

The reason for that is I will start the clock when I break the pre game meeting, instead of trying to start the clock at the first pitch.

Just saves me a hassle.

canump Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7in60

I don't beleive it is actualy written any where in the Softball Canada rule book, but I do beleive it in the PWSA rule book for the bantam and under catagories.
When ever I do league games that go with time limit I start it when the plate conference is over, even with leagues that say with the first pitch. If I have to over sethe first pitcher do her warm ups then she's/he's on the clock as far as I'm concerned.

MichaelVA2000 Thu Jul 03, 2008 02:28pm

Quote:

Don't know about Softball Canada but in PONY and NSA, the clock starts at the conclusion of the plate conference.

7in60 Thu Jul 03, 2008 02:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelVA2000
Don't know about Softball Canada but in PONY and NSA, the clock starts at the conclusion of the plate conference.

This came to mind when I was writing. We don't hold plate meetings with this league. It's the same umpires every week (the other 2 are not registered) and it was a system I was brought into. I've decided that this is my fourth and final year with them, so no need to discuss in depth. I usually use a watch, but I like the idea of a timer.

IRISHMAFIA Thu Jul 03, 2008 02:37pm

Quote:

This came to mind when I was writing. We don't hold plate meetings with this league. It's the same umpires every week (the other 2 are not registered) and it was a system I was brought into. I've decided that this is my fourth and final year with them, so no need to discuss in depth. I usually use a watch, but I like the idea of a timer.

Contact SRW for all the timers you want.

Steve M Thu Jul 03, 2008 02:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA

:D :D :D

NM FP Ump Thu Jul 03, 2008 03:04pm

So, for ASA, technically (not setting your timer for 1 minute more) you have to call the first pitch, THEN start your timer?? HMMMM :confused:

USSSA must listen to umpires better than ASA. :eek: :D

NCASAUmp Thu Jul 03, 2008 03:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NM FP Ump
So, for ASA, technically (not setting your timer for 1 minute more) you have to call the first pitch, THEN start your timer?? HMMMM :confused:

USSSA must listen to umpires better than ASA. :eek: :D

If I'm keeping time, I signal for the first pitch, reach into the ball bag and hit the "Start" button on my watch.

SRW Thu Jul 03, 2008 06:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA

I only have 3 at this time. Might find some more when we work the Gold Territorial here next weekend. We'll see.

:rolleyes: :p