The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   ASA substitution question (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/45548-asa-substitution-question.html)

David Emerling Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:42pm

ASA substitution question

I saw this play happen at a recent 18U tournament. I would like some of you ASA gurus' opinions.

A pinch-hitter comes to the plate for one of the starters. The offensive manager fails to report the substitution. The batter reaches first safely. At this time the manager wants to reenter the original player to run. As he is discussing this reentry with the plate umpire, it is discovered that he failed to report the batter in the first place. The coach then reports the substitution (belatedly) to the plate umpire and then reenters the starter.

The umpire announces to the other team that the batter who just batted is being reported into the game by the offense. And then the umpire reports that the starter (for whom the unreported player batted) is now reentering the game as the runner.

Before the next pitch, the defensive manager appeals that the batter was an unreported sub and wants her called out. The umpire agrees and the unreported sub is called out.

The offense complains that their late reporting of the sub preceded the appeal and that the appeal cannot be recognized because it was not noticed in time.

Who was correct?

David Emerling
Memphis, TN

Chess Ref Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:51pm

Not a guru but I'll take a stab...

Rule 4-6-C2 states that "offending team informs umpire prior tp protest by offended team" there is no violation and all action stands.

Also check in the morning and the real gurus will come along and correct me if I'm wrong. ;)

umpharp Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:06am

The umpire was wrong in calling the sub out.

Once the coach reentered the starter and as a result informed the umpire of the sub, that sub is legal as Chess Ref mentions.

Offended team should have been a little quicker.

NCASAUmp Tue Jun 17, 2008 07:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chess Ref
Not a guru but I'll take a stab...

Rule 4-6-C2 states that "offending team informs umpire prior tp protest by offended team" there is no violation and all action stands.

Also check in the morning and the real gurus will come along and correct me if I'm wrong. ;)

You're correct. The umpire screwed that one up, as there was "nothing" on this one. The offending team corrected their mistake within the rules, and no out should have been called for this.

youngump Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:35am

So, what if he just puts the correct batter out on the bases. By that I mean does he have to make it right as if he'd never messed up or can he just take advantage of the mistake?
________
condo for sale in Pattaya

Chess Ref Tue Jun 17, 2008 02:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngump
So, what if he just puts the correct batter out on the bases. By that I mean does he have to make it right as if he'd never messed up or can he just take advantage of the mistake?

It seems to me the correct batter is on the base. It wasn't a BOO it was a unreported sub.