The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Not a big issue, but... (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/45493-not-big-issue-but.html)

Chess Ref Sun Jun 15, 2008 09:11pm

Not a big issue, but...

Around here it's customary to start play with a new ball and a used ball. So I get into this discussion with a partner about ball rotation.

Should we apply the ball rotation of RS#2,A., which basically says the pitcher must throw the unused ball, though it really is a used ball, or should we keep the newer ball in play and disregard "RS #2, A. ?

NCASAUmp Sun Jun 15, 2008 09:19pm

Well, both balls should have been new. However, if you've got one new and one used at the beginning of a game, I'd say just stick with the newer ball. Just tell both coaches during the pregame that this is how you'll do it, why you're doing it, and that's that. If anyone has any objections, then go with what ASA says.

IRISHMAFIA Sun Jun 15, 2008 09:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chess Ref
Around here it's customary to start play with a new ball and a used ball. So I get into this discussion with a partner about ball rotation.

Should we apply the ball rotation of RS#2,A., which basically says the pitcher must throw the unused ball, though it really is a used ball, or should we keep the newer ball in play and disregard "RS #2, A. ?

If it is a used ball, most likely the ball which was used in the top of the 1st inning is "newer".

Remember, this is for championship play which starts with two new balls.

AtlUmpSteve Sun Jun 15, 2008 09:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chess Ref

The ball rotation rule exists to make sure that all the balls in the game are no longer new and glossy after the first inning; and that both teams share in breaking in a new ball if/when there is more than one. If the second ball is already broken in, then the intent of the rule has been met.

Frankly, I don't want anyone handing me brand new balls right out of the box/bag/wrapper to start the game. The NCAA process makes way more sense; both teams have a pitcher warming up, let each warm up with game balls so that they are all game ready. At major tournaments, the coaches often meet with a tournament official to do the coin flip for home team in advance; when they also give each team a game ball (and IF the coaches know what to do with it:rolleyes: :rolleyes: ), it makes for a better game.

CecilOne Mon Jun 16, 2008 08:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
Well, both balls should have been new. However, if you've got one new and one used at the beginning of a game, I'd say just stick with the newer ball. Just tell both coaches during the pregame that this is how you'll do it, why you're doing it, and that's that. If anyone has any objections, then go with what ASA says.

No need to explain it or any other rule at the plate meeting, just ground rules and tourney rules for first game.