The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Bad News, maybe (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/45341-bad-news-maybe.html)

IRISHMAFIA Tue Jun 10, 2008 08:34pm

Bad News, maybe

Preparing for this past weekend, I visited a half dozen pharmacies looking for some Spirit of Ammonia. I struck out at all six, but the disturbing part was that the pharmacists at 5 of the 6 stores had no idea what I was talking about or it's use. Mind you, I'm not talking about the clerks, but the pharmacist. Luckily, I had one bottle left that the TSA Airport Nazis didn't get. :rolleyes:

My wife spent Saturday morning calling another dozen locations before she found one that knew what it was and why I was looking for some.

Now, the possible bad news. According to this pharmacist, this product now only comes in snap capsules. Supposedly, it is no longer packaged in the liquid format because apparently kids have been using it to get high.

Another great Chicken Little reaction by our so-called society. Someone has a problem or misuses a product, so we just get rid of it and to hell with those who have a legitimate uses for the product.

If you want it, the internet may be the only source in the future if this pharmacist is correct.

whiskers_ump Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Preparing for this past weekend, I visited a half dozen pharmacies looking for some Spirit of Ammonia. I struck out at all six, but the disturbing part was that the pharmacists at 5 of the 6 stores had no idea what I was talking about or it's use. Mind you, I'm not talking about the clerks, but the pharmacist. Luckily, I had one bottle left that the TSA Airport Nazis didn't get. :rolleyes:

My wife spent Saturday morning calling another dozen locations before she found one that knew what it was and why I was looking for some.

Now, the possible bad news. According to this pharmacist, this product now only comes in snap capsules. Supposedly, it is no longer packaged in the liquid format because apparently kids have been using it to get high.

Another great Chicken Little reaction by our so-called society. Someone has a problem or misuses a product, so we just get rid of it and to hell with those who have a legitimate uses for the product.

If you want it, the internet may be the only source in the future if this pharmacist is correct.

I guess living in a smal East Texas town does have it advantages. I found
4 bottles at the only "drug store" other than the pharmacy at Wal-Mart.:cool:

blueskysblue Wed Jun 11, 2008 09:08am

Curious - what do you use spirit of ammonia for?

Coming from a medical background, the only thing I have ever used same for was "snap capsules" for someone who has fainted.

Skahtboi Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:32am

Quote:

I can still find it here. If you need me to ship you a couple of bottles, let me know.

NCASAUmp Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skahtboi
I can still find it here. If you need me to ship you a couple of bottles, let me know.

Or I could line my cat's litter box with a towel and send that to you. :eek:

Or I could send you the Hogue grip from my Sig. You know, the one my cat peed on.

IRISHMAFIA Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueskysblue
Curious - what do you use spirit of ammonia for?

Coming from a medical background, the only thing I have ever used same for was "snap capsules" for someone who has fainted.

Approximately 1.5-2 oz. about a gallon of water in about an 6-8 qt cooler filled with ice makes what is known as Florida water.

Soak a towel in it. Wring out towel and place over head, around neck or face and inhale. Really rejuvenates your senses and helps you along for short-term recovery.

argodad Wed Jun 11, 2008 03:23pm

Quote:

Approximately 1.5-2 oz. about a gallon of water in about an 6-8 qt cooler filled with ice makes what is known as Florida water.

Soak a towel in it. Wring out towel and place over head, around neck or face and inhale. Really rejuvenates your senses and helps you along for short-term recovery.

The mint-scented rubbing alcohol makes an acceptable substitute. :cool:

SC Ump Wed Jun 11, 2008 05:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiskers_ump
I guess living in a smal East Texas town does have it advantages. I found
4 bottles at the only "drug store" other than the pharmacy at Wal-Mart.:cool:

And you'll buy a bottle just to return next year and find only three left.

Who says there's not stress in small towns? Now for the next four years you have to worry about what to do in 2012.

Skahtboi Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:51pm

http://www.americarx.com/Products/12792.html

http://www.planetrx.com/shop/detail....106&zmap=a8174

http://www.tias.com/cgi-bin/google.f...Key=1923072492

JefferMC Thu Jun 12, 2008 09:05am

Given the composition given by AmericaRx, you could pretty much mix this yourself using grain alcohol and household ammonia.

whiskers_ump Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by argodad
The mint-scented rubbing alcohol makes an acceptable substitute. :cool:

La. has a version called Gator Water. Works great also.