The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   The pain of watching a game - as a fan (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/4507-pain-watching-game-fan.html)

ntxblue Thu Mar 28, 2002 10:55am

Watched a 5A HS game last night. District rivals fighting for first place. As a fan, I generally try to keep a low profile in the stands. Seems like every close play or one that goes against "my" team, there's always someone who wants to evoke my opinion - to prove HIS point. I've done a good job of keeping my mouth shut this season. But last night was my ultimate test.

Mistakes by umpires unfortunately are part of the game. Nobody, especially the umpire, likes them. But bad mechanics affecting a game is inexcusable.

Field umpire, during the pitch, generally showed his interest level by looking in the dugout - and occasionally in the outfield. A shot hit to the left center gap, where is the field umpire supposed to be? NO, not this one. He's watching the ball bounce in the outfield off the fence. Then, WHAM! The runner rounding first plows into the umpire - half way between 1st & 2nd - in the base path - with his back turned still watching the ball. Fortunately for the runner, she was able to gather herself and ended up on 3rd. Could she have scored?? Probably not, but we'll never know.

Fly ball to right field with runners on 1st & 2nd, fielder makes an apparent diving catch. We can only assume because PU meanders from behind the plate and no one - not the coaches, runners, defense, or the fans can tell that a call has been made. Everyone else is watching the play so they had no clue about a call. I only saw a casual out indication from the PU. Runners are in jeopardy and PU is unable to vocalize and sell the call.

PU makes two calls on close plays at the plate from behind home plate! Use those feet, get into position!!

I better stop ranting, but with this game I could overload the board. Thanks for letting me vent.

Generally, when attending a game and asked about a situation, I try to explain from the umpires position - never making a judgement of who is right/wrong. Last night I think my tongue ended up three inches shorter.

How do you handle yourself in similar situations?

[Edited by ntxblue on Mar 28th, 2002 at 02:47 PM]

SamNVa Thu Mar 28, 2002 11:23am

I find a reason to be somewhere else.

SamC

IRISHMAFIA Thu Mar 28, 2002 01:02pm

Quote:

Originally posted by SamNVa
I find a reason to be somewhere else.

SamC

Sam's right. Get a dog and soda (that is a weiner and pop to some), find another game to watch or head to the car for an adult refreshment, but get away from that field (unless your the UIC, of course).

Just one other thing you need to do. Try to restrain from showing any emotion like a nasty grimmace on your face or shaking you head. Somebody there probably knows you are an umpire and will notice.

Skahtboi Thu Mar 28, 2002 05:15pm

ntxblue:

Just please don't tell me that the game you were watching was a city that starts with a D. If it was, I was supposed to work that game but was unable to due to extenuating cicumstances.

Scott

whiskers_ump Thu Mar 28, 2002 05:45pm

Gary,

I know that has to be tough. I only ventured out once
during my absence [just short of 2 months] from behind
the plate or in the field. That was a tournament being
held at the Beaumont Complex, and it is amazing what you
see or think you see when others are calling the game.

glen

ntxblue Thu Mar 28, 2002 08:44pm

Scott,

You're safe. Not that game. But I did think about telling you that it was just to make you squirm!!

Gary

[Edited by ntxblue on Mar 28th, 2002 at 07:49 PM]

Skahtboi Thu Mar 28, 2002 10:42pm

Well I kind of wondered, since I knew that this was a really hot rivalry. I felt bad about not being able to work it, and worse yet the guy that I found to work it was only a second year ump...so for a minute there I was sweating bullets...thinking to myself..."what have I done?" Thanks for letting me off the hook!

Scott

Elaine "Lady Blue" Fri Mar 29, 2002 11:43am

You guys think you have it rough just watching another game. Just try keeping score for your daughter's team and being the defensive coordinator while watching other umps calling strikes at mid shin, up at the shoulder, a foot outside, etc. Renee's team (16U 'A') played in a 5 game guarantee tournament last weekend where I saw some of the worst plate mechanics (like kneeling directly behind the catcher), no way he could the corners :mad:, never trailing a runner, basically awful!! We had a bad call on the look back rule also. R1 on 3rd, no outs, Batter walks. Batter/Runner runs to 1st and continues to 2nd as catcher returns ball to pitcher. Pitcher turns and fires ball to F4. B/R stops and now is in a pickle between 2nd and 1st. BU calls B/R out on look back and trys to make R1 come back to 3rd who has since scored safely and is in the dugout. BU & PU converse for several minutes after our coach has gone out to question the call. They let R1 score stand but still called out the B/R!!!! :( What idiots!!! They didn't understand that once a play is made on B/R, the look back rule is off!! I was g-r-r-ring and kicking the fence. This is only a sample of the poor officiating we saw. Also, the TD changed our games and parks about 4 times and we almost had to forfeit Saturday night for not enough players as everyone was confused as where to report. I emailed the TD, but of course he has not replied. But, he put all the emails full of accolades folks sent him on his website. What an ego!!
Some of the emails spoke of 'how delighted' they were with the officiating!! JEEZ :rolleyes:
It is VERY hard for me NOT to join in with the crowd in some of their "aw c'mon, Blue" moanings!! Needless to say, I doubt we'll ever play in another one of this guy's tournaments.

P.S. Thank you, Glen for clearing me up on the NIF being in
the case book---the last name is Manross. Lilburn, Ga.

[Edited by Elaine "Lady Blue" on Mar 29th, 2002 at 10:47 AM]

whiskers_ump Fri Mar 29, 2002 11:54am

Elaine <font color = blue>Lady
Blue</font>

I am realllly realllly hoping that y'all were not
playing in the State of TEXAS

glen

Skahtboi Sat Mar 30, 2002 07:36pm

Quote:

Originally posted by whiskers_ump
Elaine <font color = blue>Lady
Blue</font>

I am realllly realllly hoping that y'all were not
playing in the State of TEXAS

glen

Me too, Glen, me too!

ntxblue Sat Mar 30, 2002 08:34pm

Scott & Glen,

I was really concerned, too. Y'all know Texas is known for doing EVERYTHING bigger & better!!

Gary

Elaine "Lady Blue" Mon Apr 01, 2002 09:53am

Naw, it wasn't Texas, but Cumming, Ga about 50 miles north of Atlanta. Terrible umpires!!