The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Facemask (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/45025-facemask.html)

roadking Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:42pm

Facemask

I see some of the college officials that are wearing a lightweight mask made out of a composite looking material. The mask looks like its molded plastic. Anyone know the brand, Ive looked all over the internet for this mask. thanks

RKBUmp Mon Jun 02, 2008 01:11pm

What you are seeing is most likely a POS SUL200. The company has gone out of business and they are no longer being made to the best of my knowledge. They are popping up on ebay, but it appears that they are selling for $135 up to almost $200 for brand new ones. It appears that someone got ahold of all the old stock and is selling it off on ebay.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Mon Jun 02, 2008 01:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadking
I see some of the college officials that are wearing a lightweight mask made out of a composite looking material. The mask looks like its molded plastic. Anyone know the brand, Ive looked all over the internet for this mask. thanks

As RKBUmp said you are seeing the =POS SUL200 made by All Star. +POS sold them as the SUL200 and All Star sold them with no specail model name attached to them. The mask is a graphite mask. It is the lightest mask made; even with pads and harness, you don't even know you have one hanging from you pinkie finger. I own and All Star but only use it for softball (because the bars of the mask are about twice the thickness of a metal mask) and the temperature is above 65F. Graphite tends to become brittle in cold weather and will break when brittle. I have also worn it for baseball games in very hot weather because if its lightness. In the 2001 AAU Boys' 16U Baseball National Invitational Tournment in Cocoa Beachl, Florida, I took a foul ball that was like a rocket launch (we were only about five (5) miles from the Kennedy Space Center) straight back to the middle of the mask and didn't feel a thing. I really like it, but just reserve it for warm weather softball and really really hot baseball.

MTD, Sr.

THREE Mon Jun 02, 2008 02:20pm

There is a face mask that is becoming very popular. It's the Diamond "Feather-Light" Low Profile Face Mask. Weights only 17oz. It is advertised as the lightest on the market. Several sports suppliers offer it. I too have the old light weight Allstar mask. The micor-fiber pads (absorb sweat/water) that came with it wore out long ago and you can not buy them anymore. I have been using the leather replacement pads but I got spoiled with the old micor-fiber pads and just really missed not having them. The new Diamond mask comes with a "Quick-Dry chin pad"---simular to the old micro-fiber for the Allstar. These Quick-Dry replacement pads can be bought/ordered from OFFICIALGEAR.COM (ASA). I got the replacement pads
and recommend them to anyone who liked the old micor-fiber pads.

roadking Mon Jun 02, 2008 08:26pm

Yes, I looked on ebay, thats the one. Hows the visability with these mask. Thank you.

whiskers_ump Mon Jun 02, 2008 09:10pm

Schutt makes a great very lightweight mask. I have both the SUL and
the Schutt, use the Schutt mostly.

Skahtboi Mon Jun 02, 2008 09:26pm

The Schutt lightweight mask is a very excellent mask indeed.

scottk_61 Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skahtboi

Over the years, I tried all of the various light weight masks and the Schutt beat them all hands down when you combine all the factors.
Visibility was the biggest issue to me and it was great.
I will say I had one Schutt that had a problem with the frame, I contacted Schutt and they sent me a new one overnight. They didn't even ask me for the old one until I later asked if they wanted it back.

Dakota Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottk_61
...I had one Schutt that had a problem with the frame,...

What was the problem?

scottk_61 Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota
What was the problem?

Actually it was the plastic covering, (urethane?) that started to crack and peel.
I had taken a number of shots with it already, this mask was well used when the peeling started.
But I was impressed with the speed and care they gave me

kcg NC2Ablu Tue Jun 03, 2008 05:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skahtboi

That is the mask they are using its obvious from the BLINDING white schutt logo on front .