The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   runner returning to touch base (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/4488-runner-returning-touch-base.html)

shipwreck Tue Mar 26, 2002 07:40pm

Let's have a little fun!!!! Situation: ASA fastpitch, runners let's say second and third. On a base hit the girl on third comes home but misses home plate. On the same play second girl comes home and also misses home plate. Now I know that the rule says a runner cannot return to touch a missed base if a following runner has scored. So if the second girl had legally touched home, the first girl couldn't go back to touch home and could be appealed. But since the second girl missed home also, and let's say the defense saw only the second girl miss home and was going to appeal her, what options does that leave for thr first girl during the live ball action? Or better yet, how about if the defense didn't see either one miss home, even though the second girl missed home, without an appeal, she would be counted as having scored and the first girl wouln't have been able to go back to touch, right? Any thoughts? Dave

David Van Milligen Tue Mar 26, 2002 08:10pm

If the first runner returned to touch home she would in essence be forcing the second runner out for passing a proceeding runner.
A passed untouched base is considered touched until a legal appeal, so that would prevent the first runner from returning to touch home before the appeal. Catch 22 for the first runner.

SamNVa Wed Mar 27, 2002 11:22am

Runner#1 had better hope that no one except blue saw her miss the plate, because she's SOOL as far a correcting her mistake goes.

SamC

IRISHMAFIA Wed Mar 27, 2002 01:14pm

ASA 8.3.G

"No runner may return to touch a missed base or one left too soon after a following runner has scored or once the runner leaves the field of play."

It doesn't say "touch" home plate, but "scored". As we all know, a runner is considered to have touched any base once they have passed it. Therefore, in this scenario, the second runner has scored which means #1 cannot return to touch home plate.

ntxblue Wed Mar 27, 2002 01:48pm

Mike,

What's the "NIF 02"?

oppool Wed Mar 27, 2002 07:41pm

ATTA BOY MIKE

Gary,

It means Mike is one of those BIG BIG BOYs now it stands for ASA National Indicator Fraternity

"This fraternity is one of the most prestigious honors bestowed upon an ASA umpire. To qualify, an umpire must have official in three national tournaments, been an ASA umpire for at least seven years and must be recommended by his/her comminsioner and regional umpire-in-chief."

CONGRATULATIONS MIKE!!!!!!

Don

[Edited by oppool on Mar 27th, 2002 at 10:04 PM]

whiskers_ump Wed Mar 27, 2002 08:30pm

Mike,

I would like to <b>E C H O</b> Don's congratultory message.

<b> C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S </b>

[And that would be the Michael T. Rowe on NIF21 in the new
ASA Case Book NIF Members pages.}

glen

[Edited by whiskers_ump on Mar 27th, 2002 at 07:38 PM]

ntxblue Wed Mar 27, 2002 09:05pm

Mike,

Congratulations!! Duh---I was trying to make it hard and turn it into something it wasn't. Now I can't wait to get my new casebook and see the additions.

Gary

Gulf Coast Blue Wed Mar 27, 2002 10:56pm

Mike.........congrats.........

Give me a few more years (and I will still be 10+ years behind you).........grin........

Joel

SamNVa Thu Mar 28, 2002 11:27am

Way to go Mike.

I suppose you thought you could just slip that little NIF '02 past all of us blind umpires. ;)

SamC

IRISHMAFIA Thu Mar 28, 2002 12:57pm

Thanks to all.

While I have found that many umpires in National Championship-heavy areas don't believe this is anything big, I consider myself fortunate to have reached this step. I come from a state that rarely received National consideration up until four years ago. There are less than a dozen NIF umpires in DE including Tom Mason. If anyone doesn't know who he is, Tom was instrumental in the development of ASA's umpire program including instituting the National School Program. Because of that, we conduct a state school which mirror's the national.

However, I'm still looking for those other three letters behind my name that will allow me to explore a game with an international flavor :)

Once again, thanks!

ntxblue Thu Mar 28, 2002 01:35pm

Mike,

By searching for those international letters, does that mean I can expect to see you in Killeen, TX at Advanced Umpire School/ISF Certification? Hope so.

Gary

Elaine "Lady Blue" Thu Mar 28, 2002 02:16pm

Very good, Mike!!! You should have moved from Delaware into Maryland or Virginia to have had more opportunities for Nationals.

Me, I live in a ASA National Championship area--Atlanta, but I thought it was a great feat for me to get NIF in 1995 at the age of 45!! I didn't start umpiring until age 36, and not seriously until the age of 40. My Nationals were in 1992, 1994, 1995, 1997 and 1999. I'm through!! Now, I'll just keep score for Renee's team and cheer them on. I'm in umpire retirement. I had for UIC: 1992, 1994 & 1999 Bob Savoie, in 1995 Norm, and in 1997 Billy P. That ran the gamut I think for 3 different types on the National Staff.
I just lucked up and got Bob 3 times!!

But, someone mentioned that the NIF was in the case book, I thought it was only in the rule book and on line via the ASA
web site.

whiskers_ump Thu Mar 28, 2002 05:38pm

Lady Blue,

It is in the Case Book and you are on Page 10 [N.I.F.- 10]
It took me some doing to find your name since I did not
know the last name. I have you located as Name number 23
on referenced page. Good Job and Congratulations to you
especially in the manner that you achieved your NIF status.
Referring to your late start in the game.

glen

IRISHMAFIA Thu Mar 28, 2002 10:48pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ntxblue
Mike,

By searching for those international letters, does that mean I can expect to see you in Killeen, TX at Advanced Umpire School/ISF Certification? Hope so.

Gary

Nope. ASA's Advanced School does not lead to ISF certification. It may, however, be one of the national schools that lead to ISF "qualified" status. As I read the new program, it replaces one of the required nationals and permits umpires to be ISF qualified, but not necessarily certified.