The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 28, 2002, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Question A quesiton of bats (ASA)

I'm confused.

The ASA rule on bat eligibility did not change for 2002, right?

So, are bats manufactured after 1995 that do not have the stamp but are on the ASA grandfathered list eligible for championship play or not?

My reading of the rule would say "yes" - if they are on the list, it is not umpire judgment as to whether they would pass the test, but rather they are on the list and so according to the national office, they have passed the test.

And, what about those stickers? Do they mean anything anymore? I don't have a bat handy with the sitcker, but I seem to recall the sticker had the expiration date on it. What about a bat that has an expired sticker, but is on the national list?

[Edited by Dakota on Mar 28th, 2002 at 01:02 PM]
Old Thu Mar 28, 2002, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SamNVa Send a message via AIM to SamNVa Send a message via Yahoo to SamNVa
It is my understanding that ASA backed off enforcing the rule requiring "stamped" bats for this year, so we are basically playing under the same rules as last year. I believe that this means that "the list" and the stickers are still legal for ASA championship play.

FED stuck by thier guns and only bats with the ASA stamp are legal in HS ball played under FED rules.

SamC
Old Sat Mar 30, 2002, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

Sam,

Isn't it strange that FED "copies" the bat rules from ASA, then FED is the only organization that will stand by them? I can't tell you how many bats I've had to remove from the dugouts in HS games this year. Come May the girls will be using those "illegal" bats in ASA tournaments!!

Gary