The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 17, 2008, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA Regionals

Just saw replay of a missed tag-missed plate play in the Purdue-Cal Fullerton game.

To ME, and it just may be me, it seemed like the PU tipped off the play.

Catcher made a sweep tag and missed, but did not pursue the runner. Instead, she turned toward the umpire looking for a call as she was standing up. Umpire made no call or movement, but just stared in the general direction of the area behind the plate. Catcher figured out that if there was no call, she still had a play.
Old Sat May 17, 2008, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Runner knew she missed the base

It appeared to me that the runner knew she missed the base due to the way she seemed to be crawling away from the catcher. Regardless, IMO he got the call correct.
Old Sat May 17, 2008, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

Interference

In the 5th, the BR bunted and was clearly in fair ground when hit in the back by the catchers throw. What should have been the 3rd out resulted in runners at 2nd and 3rd with 2 outs. The next batter singled to bring in both runs.
Old Sat May 17, 2008, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Metal spikes

Just saw a second slip on the plate this game.

I keep telling folks that metal doesn't keep a player from slipping and sliding on the bases and plate, but no one believes me.
Old Sat May 17, 2008, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

Did you notice that the PU is using the scissors. I have never used it but it looks like he is getting in a very good position to calls balls and strikes.
Old Sat May 17, 2008, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Just saw a second slip on the plate this game.

I keep telling folks that metal doesn't keep a player from slipping and sliding on the bases and plate, but no one believes me.
Caught that also. For a moment I thought maybe I had missed the rain beginning.

You guys are up pretty late...for softball ?
Old Sat May 17, 2008, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby
Did you notice that the PU is using the scissors. I have never used it but it looks like he is getting in a very good position to calls balls and strikes.
I tried it when I was much younger doing the little ball game. Didn't do my back any favors, but that is me.

I have noticed that SOME umpires tend to lock into the same position for every batter. That isn't bad with adults, but can be an issue with some of the smaller young ladies that play JO ball.
Old Sun May 18, 2008, 07:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Just saw replay of a missed tag-missed plate play in the Purdue-Cal Fullerton game.

To ME, and it just may be me, it seemed like the PU tipped off the play.

Catcher made a sweep tag and missed, but did not pursue the runner. Instead, she turned toward the umpire looking for a call as she was standing up. Umpire made no call or movement, but just stared in the general direction of the area behind the plate. Catcher figured out that if there was no call, she still had a play.
Did he hesitate, then make the safe signal? Or is that just an ASA mechanic?
Old Sun May 18, 2008, 07:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
I also saw her running out of the 3' lane and get hit in the back by the ball being thrown. She was WAY out of the lane, so much so that even if for some reason the PU missed it (which I can't see how), the BU should have seen it. Dave
Old Sun May 18, 2008, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I tried it when I was much younger doing the little ball game. Didn't do my back any favors, but that is me.

I have noticed that SOME umpires tend to lock into the same position for every batter. That isn't bad with adults, but can be an issue with some of the smaller young ladies that play JO ball.
Mike,
It's not just you. MLB has banned scissors for its umpires for a few years. The insurers for the umpires said no mas after paying out hundreds of thousands of dollars (perhaps more) for neck and back injuries/permanent damage for umpires who used scissors for years. This is the reason Tim Mc changed, as did some others. We still seem some who are getting pretty close to scissors, but most at the umpire schools are taught the GD and a handful of others...but definitely no scissors.
Old Sun May 18, 2008, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones
Mike,
It's not just you. MLB has banned scissors for its umpires for a few years. The insurers for the umpires said no mas after paying out hundreds of thousands of dollars (perhaps more) for neck and back injuries/permanent damage for umpires who used scissors for years. This is the reason Tim Mc changed, as did some others. We still seem some who are getting pretty close to scissors, but most at the umpire schools are taught the GD and a handful of others...but definitely no scissors.
Talked at length about MLB mechanics with MLB umpire in January. Specifically about some of their angles and different plate stances. He said there is no ban on any particular stance. Depending on size and body type there are some preferred options (GD, Box and scissors among them) but ultimately accuracy is the biggest priority. Tim Mc (one of my favorites) didn't use the scissors, he literally went to one knee on the ground. His back problems are due to a variety of issues.
Old Mon May 19, 2008, 12:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck
I also saw her running out of the 3' lane and get hit in the back by the ball being thrown. She was WAY out of the lane, so much so that even if for some reason the PU missed it (which I can't see how), the BU should have seen it. Dave
I didn't see her clearly outside the line in fair with foot on ground. I also wondered...was she on her last stride to the base?
Old Mon May 19, 2008, 06:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalumps
I didn't see her clearly outside the line in fair with foot on ground. I also wondered...was she on her last stride to the base?
I've always wondered where that started? To me, it is a myth. There is really no need to come inside on the last step to the base.
Old Mon May 19, 2008, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

I've seen another PU use the scissor (or maybe it was the same PU-the one I saw was a BYU/UNM game on the Mountain West sports network in April). Thought it was kind of strange, but since the quality of catchers is so much better than in HS then it looked like it worked for him.

Thought PU did a good job on the missed home plate tag. Nice job by the catcher to stick the left leg back past the foul line at the last moment. Looks to me like she had everyone yelling at her to tag the runner.

Saw the BR out of the running lane, and I jumped off the couch! Woke my wife up from her nap.

NFHS
USSSA
Old Mon May 19, 2008, 10:41am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
I've always wondered where that started? To me, it is a myth. There is really no need to come inside on the last step to the base.
Probably from baseball where professional interpretation was changed not so long ago to allow for the runner to come back inside near the base.