The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 22, 2002, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

first thanks to everyone for good advice in the past!This is my sixth year of Fed ball and I feel like I am working harder to really learn the little things.Mostly by mistakes but I'm using a journal after every game and I would encourage everyone to do that.Here is what happenned yesterday.I'm on the bases at a var. game with a p.u. with a lot more time than me and at the end of six inn. the home team is up 10 to 4.The sun is still well above the horizen its about 5:45 and we need three outs to end the game.Without warning after last out in bottom of sixth my partner annouces to everyone that the game is over because of darkness.There is still at least a half hour of solid light left and coaches,players and fans on both sides are lived.I pulled him aside and said we only need three outs and he says he won't be responsible if anyone gets hurt.I had to follow him as he left to jeers of you got your money so go home and other comments.I informed my assignor and he said he would handle it.Is their anything else I should of or could have done?
Old Fri Mar 22, 2002, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

I've never been fond of that decision, but it is the plate ump's call and your responsibility to go along with him. That being said, your partner should have talked with you before killing the game and that would be when you remind him you only need 3 outs - not after the decision is made & announced. I would not have talked with the assignor over this.
Old Fri Mar 22, 2002, 11:56pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve M
I've never been fond of that decision, but it is the plate ump's call and your responsibility to go along with him. That being said, your partner should have talked with you before killing the game and that would be when you remind him you only need 3 outs - not after the decision is made & announced. I would not have talked with the assignor over this.

I have a question Steve: Why would you not have talke to your assigner if this had happened to you?
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Mar 23, 2002, 12:05am
Official Forum Member

I think there is more to address here.

#1. Did you go to the plate area and look toward the outfield? I have often been on fields that seemed well lit from one position and questionable from another. On this point, your partner should have asked how things looked from your position and if you noticed any players acting in an apprehensive manner when the ball was put into play.

#2. You may feel you only needed three outs on the visitors to finish the game, but what happens if you don't get those three outs? What happens if the visitors ding the ball all over the place in the top of the seventh? You must take the time it would take for the losing team to score enough runs to tie or take the lead and that could take up to, if not more than, 30 minutes. Now, after a half-hour, maybe this field is falling into darkness, but being the nice guy, you let the home team try to reclaim the lead or tie the game.

By this time, the players and coaches from the home team are reminding you every two minutes how dark it is becoming and someone may get hurt. The bad part is that by now, this could be true.

If you force the game to be played under less than acceptable conditions, someone may get hurt. If you call the game after the visitors tie or take the lead, you will be accused of stopping the game before the home team loses and then those livid players, coaches and parents will want to know why you even bothered to play the top half of the inning if you were not going to play the bottom.

Being a "nice guy" is not all it is cracked up to be. I have learned from experience that an umpire who knows the fields, the conditions which occur at twilight and how quick a field loses light must make a difficult call at times that may seem completely wrong, but is right on target.

I am not defending your partner's call as I was not there to witness the scenario, and as I said, he definitely should have at least given you a heads-up as to what he was going to do. However, take into consideration what it would have taken to play the last inning and what would have happened if the visiting team went on an offensive tear. Maybe your partner wasn't totally wrong with his call.

JMHO,

Old Sat Mar 23, 2002, 05:22am
Official Forum Member

Mark,
For a single "incident" of judgement that I don't agree with, talking to the assignor is not something I'm going to do.
Old Sat Mar 23, 2002, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

to Mike.Just a little more on this subject I've seen this field many times so I knew very well what it looked like from my partners angle and there was still sunshine not even twilight yet.Maybe I'm wrong but don't we play every game as long as possible and let hte chips fall where they may?If the top of the seventh goes into to darkness its like rain we stop and revert to the sixth.Its not about being nice guys I just wanted to do the right thing.Also the reason I called the boss was the coach was getting his A.D. involved and I wanted to give a true heads up first.Thanks again for the help.