The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   runner leaving base (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/44551-runner-leaving-base.html)

rottiron01 Tue May 20, 2008 10:48pm

runner leaving base

Slow pitch without stealing - Isn't the rule that a runner can leave a base when the ball crosses home plate? (Enters the strike zone.)
Are utilizing "tight bases" a ground rule?
Thanks for any help!

NCASAUmp Wed May 21, 2008 08:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rottiron01
Slow pitch without stealing - Isn't the rule that a runner can leave a base when the ball crosses home plate? (Enters the strike zone.)
Thanks for any help!

Closely paraphrasing from memory here...

ASA 8-7-R: The runner is out if he fails to remain in contact with the base to which he is entitled until a pitched ball is batted, reaches home plate, or touches the ground. Effect: Dead ball, runner out, pitch does not count.

It does not have to be a strike, it simply must "reach home plate." If you're the BU, it's tough to judge just how close it is to the plate, so I only call it if it's obvious. If you're the PU, you have a much better chance of judging it, but you have other responsibilities as well (judging the pitch, anyone?).

The most common scenario is when a runner pulls his foot on the swing. Well, if they're swinging, the pitch has most likely reached home plate.

celebur Wed May 21, 2008 09:33am

What NCASAUmp said. But keep in mind that leagues may have house rules that override this rule. In my area, almost every SP league has a rule that runners are out if leave base before the ball is batted. Consequently, nearly every player thinks that's the official rule.

NCASAUmp Wed May 21, 2008 10:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by celebur
What NCASAUmp said. But keep in mind that leagues may have house rules that override this rule. In my area, almost every SP league has a rule that runners are out if leave base before the ball is batted. Consequently, nearly every player thinks that's the official rule.

Why, dear god, why? Are the umpires that bad that they can't judge whether a runner left early, or are they too afraid to let the umpires do their jobs?

celebur Wed May 21, 2008 10:49am

I think it's because there aren't enough umpires to go around. Sometimes, we can't cover all the games, so in SP, they may have to umpire their own on occasion. And most of those aren't good enough to judge when a runner left early. I'm guessing that's how this house rule got started, but now people think it's the official rule.

IRISHMAFIA Wed May 21, 2008 01:11pm

Quote:

Thanks for any help!

Just a note: There is no difference, never has been, between SP with or without stealing. The runner can leave the base when the ball reaches the front of the plate, hits the ground or is hit by the bat.

SC Ump Wed May 21, 2008 08:33pm

Quote:

I played on this co-ed team that had some tight bases, but they were friendly after we all started drinking tequila.

Seriously... never heard of that term before, so I can't say whether it's a by-the-book or a ground rule.

bluezebra Wed May 21, 2008 11:25pm

Quote:

Thanks for any help!

What rule book do you play under? I have played, and umpired, in leagues that allow leadoffs, or leaving the base when the pitch is released. By the way, I have never heard of a slo-pitch league that permits stealing.

Bob

NCASAUmp Thu May 22, 2008 08:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluezebra
What rule book do you play under? I have played, and umpired, in leagues that allow leadoffs, or leaving the base when the pitch is released. By the way, I have never heard of a slo-pitch league that permits stealing.

Bob

ASA does allow stealing in men's and women's slow pitch games, but most leagues haven't adopted that ruleset.