The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   New Slowpitch Umpire (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/44323-new-slowpitch-umpire.html)

Welpe Mon May 12, 2008 01:00pm

New Slowpitch Umpire

Howdy folks. I am joining an association that works slowpitch for a couple of city rec league's in this area and will be getting ASA certified. I currently work football, (*gulp*) baseball and did two years of fastpitch back in high school. Admittedly, I did not have a good grasp of the ASA rules when I was working fastpitch and operated mainly on my baseball rules knowledge. :o

I plan on taking the time to properly learn the rules this time around and want to make sure I have my bases covered. Other than the rulebook I will be getting from the association, are there any other ASA learning resources such as case books, rule interpretation manuals, etc available? I am thinking something similar to the J/R manual that baseball has or the Redding guide from football.

Thanks!

Skahtboi Mon May 12, 2008 01:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe
Howdy folks. I am joining an association that works slowpitch for a couple of city rec league's in this area and will be getting ASA certified. I currently work football, (*gulp*) baseball and did two years of fastpitch back in high school. Admittedly, I did not have a good grasp of the ASA rules when I was working fastpitch and operated mainly on my baseball rules knowledge. :o

I plan on taking the time to properly learn the rules this time around and want to make sure I have my bases covered. Other than the rulebook I will be getting from the association, are there any other ASA learning resources such as case books, rule interpretation manuals, etc available? I am thinking something similar to the J/R manual that baseball has or the Redding guide from football.

Thanks!

If you go here you will find links to all kinds of umpire related things for ASA.

Now are you sure you want to do SP? ;)

IRISHMAFIA Mon May 12, 2008 01:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skahtboi
If you go here you will find links to all kinds of umpire related things for ASA.

Just because you cannot handle it........ :rolleyes:

Skahtboi Mon May 12, 2008 01:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Just because you cannot handle it........ :rolleyes:

I knew that statement would get a response from you.

IRISHMAFIA Mon May 12, 2008 01:28pm

Quote:

I knew that statement would get a response from you.

Ya think? :D

GrumpUmp Mon May 12, 2008 01:44pm

I did SP for over 20 years before having had enough. I realized I wasn’t physically or mentally tough enough to continue calling it. I do have a plan to get back into it.

First I am going to climb Mount Everest in only a Hawaiian shirt and Bermuda shorts. Then I am going to sky dive from 12,00 feet. I may even use a parachute.

Should be a piece of cake after that.

NCASAUmp Mon May 12, 2008 01:53pm

Frankly, I don't know what all the fuss is about. Kevlar is, after all, deductible.

But seriously, folks... I've actually been trying to get a site up for exactly this situation - a newer umpire who wants to learn a bit more from someone else's mistakes rather than make them on his/her own. The site, while still in its basic shell form, is located at http://softball.whispers.org

Feel free to take a look.

And if you're a veteran umpire, feel free to take a look and beat me up a bit. I'd rather get it right. ;)

Lastly, read the rule book from cover to cover, and read it often. If you still can't find the answer, post your question here, and someone will be happy to (beat you up) help out. ;)

No, seriously... It's better to ask a silly question here than it is to ask it on the ballfield. Unless you play the piano.

Skahtboi Mon May 12, 2008 02:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
Frankly, I don't know what all the fuss is about. Kevlar is, after all, deductible.

But seriously, folks... I've actually been trying to get a site up for exactly this situation - a newer umpire who wants to learn a bit more from someone else's mistakes rather than make them on his/her own. The site, while still in its basic shell form, is located at http://softball.whispers.org

Feel free to take a look.

And if you're a veteran umpire, feel free to take a look and beat me up a bit. I'd rather get it right. ;)

Lastly, read the rule book from cover to cover, and read it often. If you still can't find the answer, post your question here, and someone will be happy to (beat you up) help out. ;)

No, seriously... It's better to ask a silly question here than it is to ask it on the ballfield. Unless you play the piano.

Pretty nice site there, Dave. Except one thing that I adamantly disagree with is your arriving to your game sites in uniform. People who drive any distance at all will arrive with wrinkled uniform and hence a disheveled look. Always drive in street clothes and change into your uniform at the game site. If there is no dressing room supplied at the site, you can have your underarmor (or whatever you wear) on underneath and make a quick parking lot change. I have done that at more than one site in this part of the country. (Then I will turn around and the next site will have a dressing room with lockers, a cooler of water, a bathroom and a shower complete with towels, soap, and shampoo.) Heck, at the collegiate level, at least around here, you are expected to make your initial contact with the coaches in Docker-like pants and a nice shirt (and shoes of course.)

MichaelVA2000 Mon May 12, 2008 02:46pm

Quote:

Pretty nice site there, Dave. Except one thing that I adamantly disagree with is your arriving to your game sites in uniform. People who drive any distance at all will arrive with wrinkled uniform and hence a dissheveled look.

Dave, there my be times after working an AA (alleged adult) league game you could be scrambling back to your car fully dressed in your umpire uniform. A remote car starter could also be a good investment and if documented properly is deductible on your taxes.;)

NCASAUmp Mon May 12, 2008 03:26pm

Quote:

Pretty nice site there, Dave. Except one thing that I adamantly disagree with is your arriving to your game sites in uniform. People who drive any distance at all will arrive with wrinkled uniform and hence a disheveled look. Always drive in street clothes and change into your uniform at the game site. If there is no dressing room supplied at the site, you can have your underarmor (or whatever you wear) on underneath and make a quick parking lot change. I have done that at more than one site in this part of the country. (Then I will turn around and the next site will have a dressing room with lockers, a cooler of water, a bathroom and a shower complete with towels, soap, and shampoo.) Heck, at the collegiate level, at least around here, you are expected to make your initial contact with the coaches in Docker-like pants and a nice shirt (and shoes of course.)

Point well-taken, and I will be sure to include that on my site! I guess I'm fortunate that usually, my farthest field is 10 minutes from my home, and I forgot that some guys have to drive a few hours to get to their site.

Welpe Mon May 12, 2008 04:29pm

Quote:

Thanks...that would've been the obvious place for me to look I suppose.

Quote:

Despite the horror stories, yes. I worked a lot of intramural sports in college so I'm used to wrangling drunks. ;)

Welpe Mon May 12, 2008 04:30pm

Quote:

Thanks...that would've been the obvious place for me to look I suppose.

Quote:

Despite the horror stories, yes. I worked a lot of intramural sports in college so I'm used to wrangling drunks. ;)

Thanks for the links and advice everyone. I'll be sure to keep asking questions, and I'll try not to let my baseball upbringing bleed over too much. I make no guarantees though. :rolleyes:

Chess Ref Mon May 12, 2008 06:47pm

Quote:

I strongly agree with Skatboi. Though I will drive to my SP in my shorts/pants. It is a little less formal.

wadeintothem Mon May 12, 2008 10:31pm

First, Welcome to umpiring!

Second, Dont bother learning the rules to work beer league sp.

It only pisses em off. :cool:

Welpe Tue May 13, 2008 12:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadeintothem
First, Welcome to umpiring!

Second, Dont bother learning the rules to work beer league sp.

It only pisses em off. :cool:

Thanks...well welcome back I suppose. :)

Maybe I'll just use the 40 Myths document as my rulebook.