The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   New to softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/4431-new-softball.html)

Mad4maddux Wed Mar 20, 2002 09:09pm

I have 10 seasons experience officiating LL Baseball, but I am new to softball this season. Could anyone recommend a quick source that would help me acclimate to the nuances of fastpitch? Most of the rules are the same, but the pitching rules are challenging me - - just reading the regs is not helping me get it straight in my head without seeing what's legal and what's illegal.

Gulf Coast Blue Wed Mar 20, 2002 10:09pm

First of all.........welcome to the wonderful world of SB...........I think you will like it......

Try and get out and watch a few games with an experienced umpire before you umpire any games..........

If you have no experience in FP........that is the quickest way to get a handle on the pitching rules..........

Also.......it makes a difference if you are working a 1 man or two man system.......

If two man........when you are BU........you watch for things like leaping, crow-hopping, illegal step back (ASA, NSA, AFA, USSSA, Pony, and a few others)......the rocker step is legal in FED and LL..........

PU watches for violations above the waist on the pitcher....... i.e. - hands not coming together, hands coming together more than once......and staying within the 24" plate during deliver.........

In one man..........it is almost imposible to call below the waist violations........and if coaches complain......tell em to pay for another umpire........grin

Try and watch some games before you get thrown into the mix.......it can help you out a lot........

And BTW.........there are a number of rule differences (and interpretations for that matter) between SB and BB............you just gotta know which ones...........grin

What organization are you going to be calling under?

Joel

Mad4maddux Thu Mar 21, 2002 05:15am

Thanks. Primarily a 2-man crew in Little League (Senior level). I know there's no substitute for experience, but are there any good videos out there?

Gulf Coast Blue Thu Mar 21, 2002 07:22am

Try here..........

They have a general rule video and pitching video......

I think LL and FED pitching rules are very similar.......

Joel

http://www.nfhs.org/catalog/publications_cat01.htm#soft

whiskers_ump Thu Mar 21, 2002 08:41am

Quote:

Originally posted by Gulf Coast Blue
First of all.........welcome to the wonderful world of SB...........I think you will like it......

Try and get out and watch a few games with an experienced umpire before you umpire any games..........

If you have no experience in FP........that is the quickest way to get a handle on the pitching rules..........

Also.......it makes a difference if you are working a 1 man or two man system.......

If two man........when you are BU........you watch for things like leaping, crow-hopping, illegal step back (ASA, NSA, AFA, USSSA, Pony, and a few others)......the rocker step is legal in FED and LL..........

PU watches for violations above the waist on the pitcher....... i.e. - hands not coming together, hands coming together more than once......and staying within the 24" plate during deliver.........

In one man..........it is almost imposible to call below the waist violations........and if coaches complain......tell em to pay for another umpire........grin

Try and watch some games before you get thrown into the mix.......it can help you out a lot........

And BTW.........there are a number of rule differences (and interpretations for that matter) between SB and BB............you just gotta know which ones...........grin

What organization are you going to be calling under?

Joel

<b>DANG JOEL</B>

You trying to scare him away, with all this good information
at once. :D

<font color = blue>Welcome Mad4maddux</font> Like Joel, I feel
that you will really enjoy your new venture.
Good Luck. There are a lot of knowledge-
able umpires on this board, so when you have
questions about the game or certain plays, feel
free to ask whatever. These blues and a stray
coach or two now and then, are always willing
to assist.

glen