The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   District 1st round mess (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/44132-district-1st-round-mess.html)

Reffing Rev. Mon May 05, 2008 10:53pm

District 1st round mess

The first time I ever worked a district tourney game. A 9 team district so this was the 8-9 prelim game, but still a district game.

The visiting team I've had twice this year, great coaching staff, wouldn't question a call unless it was player safety. Well the head coach (who usually coaches 3rd Base) broker her ankle in the past week, so the school assigned the JV baseball coach to help coach the softball team. What?

I had my first toss of the year. Long fly ball down the left field line with 2 on and V down by 2. Left fielder lays out for the catch, the ball is clearly foul even though the fielder is mostly in fair territory. No catch, two runners cross the plate, br on her way to 3rd. Foul ball, reverse the merry-go-round and JV baseball coach at 3rd went nuts. He actually said, "She was in fair territory, that's a fair ball."

Well despite my assurances the ball was touched foul he would not let it go so he ejected himself. Then someone in the dugout got tossed by 1 partner, and then the other partner removed 3 dads from the bleachers.

Really ruined what was a great game.

No question, no comment, just winding down after the game...

JEL Mon May 05, 2008 11:16pm

He he he! Playoffs are always fun!

They should never let a baseball coach help a softball team!

On second thought, they should never let a baseball coach...........aw never mind!

CajunNewBlue Tue May 06, 2008 07:45am

All that over a foul ball? .... Are you sure this game didn't happen in Louisiana? ;)

Skahtboi Tue May 06, 2008 08:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CajunNewBlue
All that over a foul ball? .... Are you sure this game didn't happen in Louisiana? ;)

Or in Texas? I had the same situation happen not once, but twice, in a 1A game. (I really hate doing the small country towns, because all they have to live for is their sports.) Coach almost ended up tossing himself, stopped just short of it, then oddly called me on the way home to apologize for his actions. (Is it possible that he looked the rule up?)

Dakota Tue May 06, 2008 10:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JEL
He he he! Playoffs are always fun!

They should never let a baseball coach help a softball team!

On second thought, they should never let a baseball coach...........aw never mind!

Isn't the rule the same in baseball??? :rolleyes:

CecilOne Tue May 06, 2008 10:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota

Stop trying to be rational! :D

SRW Tue May 06, 2008 11:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reffing Rev.
...and then the other partner removed 3 dads from the bleachers.

And how was this accomplished?

NSABlue Tue May 06, 2008 11:58am

Here we go again. We, as umpires have absolutely no authority to eject fans from the game. We can ask that the administrators at the game to remove unruly fans but we have no authority to eject anyone not involved in the game!

Dakota Tue May 06, 2008 12:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NSABlue
Here we go again. We, as umpires have absolutely no authority to eject fans from the game. We can ask that the administrators at the game to remove unruly fans but we have no authority to eject anyone not involved in the game!

By the book, true. But we do have the authority to suspend the game until the disruption is dealt with.

Also, I have umpired in leagues (and the occasional tournament) where the umpire was given specific authority to "eject" bad behaving fans. I've never actually USED that authority, but it was there in writing.

Having said that, there should have been ample admin people present at a district playoff game.

DaveASA/FED Tue May 06, 2008 01:09pm

True the rules state we don't have the power but there are leagues/ park systems that give the umpires the right to have people removed from the park. Our park made an ordinance to this effect that the police shall remove anyone that the league adminstration or umpire deems unruly. This was done in response to someone who stated "this is a public park you can't make me leave". So after that the Police Chief got with the softball UIC who is a park board member and they got an ordinance that states you can get tossed! Even with that in writing I try to have the umpires (yes I am UIC and Park Board Sec.) get a board member to "do the deed" so they can stay focused on the game.

MichaelVA2000 Tue May 06, 2008 01:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRW
And how was this accomplished?

Sure hope it was through the AD or TD.:eek:

JEL Tue May 06, 2008 01:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota

Sure. Its just that baseball coaches are (usually) from another planet!

BlueMan86 Tue May 06, 2008 02:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NSABlue

At the park I ump at umpires are allowed to toss fans. That being said I am also the league commissioner and we have a rule at the park that coaches are in charge of their fans so if a fan causes problems it is the coach that gets ejected. Ever since that rule has been implemented there have been ZERO problems with spectators.

ntxblue Tue May 06, 2008 03:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skahtboi
Or in Texas? . . . Coach almost ended up tossing himself, stopped just short of it, then oddly called me on the way home to apologize for his actions. (Is it possible that he looked the rule up?)

Scott,

You are making two very large assumptions . . . one, that he had a rule book - two, that he could read (just because he HAS a rule book doesn't mean he has read it)

My apologies in advance to anyone offended by the second assumption.