The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   New Assignor - HELP! (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/43555-new-assignor-help.html)

ASA/NYSSOBLUE Wed Apr 16, 2008 07:22pm

New Assignor - HELP!

Our local ASA/PONY association is in the middle of a crisis, and I, apparently, am going to be our new assignor..holy cow!

I will be getting help from our experienced people, but it looks like I will be the one....yes, i have looked into strait jackets..and I m sure Advil stock will soar!

Question: who here uses Arbiter or any other software/host sites? Any recommendations?? We have a smallish group of 50+

I really would love one that is easy to set up, lets the leagues access and change schedules, and possibly one that helps with the accounting....

many, many thanks in advance!!

Steve M Wed Apr 16, 2008 07:27pm

I use Arbiter - but as an umpire, not as an assignor.
The years I assigned were all done on paper - with erasers and beer.
I love it as an umpire. The guys who use it as assignors tell me that it's very good.

Skahtboi Wed Apr 16, 2008 08:25pm

I am also one who simply uses it as an umpire, and really like it. I know that you can let anyone, umpires, coaches, league folks, whoever you designate access the information on there. My DIII/JUCO assignor even has it set up for self assign during the season, so that any games that are turned back can be claimed by others without him having to make a bunch of calls or sending a bunch of email.

wadeintothem Wed Apr 16, 2008 08:51pm

sucks to be you..

AtlUmpSteve Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:03pm

I use The Arbiter as an assignor, and have recommended other local associations to do the same. ESPECIALLY if you don't have old time experience, this is clearly the best way to go.

I also work with some Assign-by-Web groups; not even close!!

DaveASA/FED Thu Apr 17, 2008 09:35am

Arbiter is great, with one stipulation. I use it as an official but am close to my assigner and it is a wonderful tool for them IF people #1) keep their schedules up to date (block dates they have contracts from other schools/asssigners, or dates they have family or work committements) and 2) check their email often, and respond to the arbiter emails and accept or decline games in a timely manner. We all know someone that has an email address but checks it once a week, month or year!! For the system to be used to its full potential you really have to have people using it's power and its main communication tool is email. Not to say non-email people can't be "worked into" the system of course they can but it requires more work from the assigner to get this done.

MichaelVA2000 Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Our local ASA/PONY association is in the middle of a crisis, and I, apparently, am going to be our new assignor..holy cow!

I will be getting help from our experienced people, but it looks like I will be the one....yes, i have looked into strait jackets..and I m sure Advil stock will soar!

Question: who here uses Arbiter or any other software/host sites? Any recommendations?? We have a smallish group of 50+

I really would love one that is easy to set up, lets the leagues access and change schedules, and possibly one that helps with the accounting....

many, many thanks in advance!!

As an umpire I use both Assign By Web and Arbiter for various associations. Arbiter seems to have more features.

argodad Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:07pm

We use Arbiter in our HS association. One of the nice features is that the schools can see who is assigned to their games. If schedule changes or weather problems arise, they will let the umpires and the assignor know.

Ump Steve Tue Apr 29, 2008 01:50am

Use the Arbiter

I have been using the Arbiter for assigning for the past 8 years. They have grown and improved all that time. As an assigner, you have the ability to assign rights to both coaches, directors, and umpires which allow for flexible entry and assignments.

Experience has taught me though that you are better served to have the coaches email you changes. Make the game entries yourself. Otherwise, you will find new games with old ones left on the schedule instead of properly changed and reassigned. If you need help, drop me a line.

Chess Ref Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:41am

New Umpire

As a newer blue I love the Arbiter. I heard the stories about going to gyms and fighting over games. Assignors wanting your schedule 2 months in advance. I can only imagine what a headache it was for the assignors.

With Arbiter I can change my availability any day, grab games off of the self assign feature,and have my partners info , field locations,maps, etc all on line.

The arbiter from this users standpoint gets a big thumbs up.....