The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   So I got myself some NB450's (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/43509-so-i-got-myself-some-nb450s.html)

Dakota Tue Apr 15, 2008 03:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skahtboi
... and the reasoning.

They don't want the umpire to look prettier than the coach? ;)

7in60 Tue Apr 15, 2008 07:34pm

I just got a pair in the mail and they felt tight at first, too, but I put my custom insoles in and now they feel great. However, I have not used them on the diamond yet, because my shin guards have toe flaps that don't sit right on the shoe. Also, my shin guards are 18 1/2" but with a mid shoe like this I think I'd want a 17" leg guard. I have ordered a pair of low-cut (full grain leather!) shoes that I think will work better. Now that I have moved to a true plate shoe, my next leg guards won't need a toe protector. What kind of leg guards do you wear with this shoe?

Skahtboi Tue Apr 15, 2008 07:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota
They don't want the umpire to look prettier than the coach? ;)

Pretty much... ;)

wadeintothem Tue Apr 15, 2008 09:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7in60
I just got a pair in the mail and they felt tight at first, too, but I put my custom insoles in and now they feel great. However, I have not used them on the diamond yet, because my shin guards have toe flaps that don't sit right on the shoe. Also, my shin guards are 18 1/2" but with a mid shoe like this I think I'd want a 17" leg guard. I have ordered a pair of low-cut (full grain leather!) shoes that I think will work better. Now that I have moved to a true plate shoe, my next leg guards won't need a toe protector. What kind of leg guards do you wear with this shoe?

Personally I use Gerry Davis shin guards... others will have other recommendations.

wadeintothem Tue Apr 15, 2008 09:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkbjones
I am holding out for patent leather. :eek:

*just kidding, for those of you scoring at home. Incidentally, I got spotbilts because I am too lazy to spend that much time with a sharpie on a shoe. the white spots are just about gone...and they feel just fine.

They are hard toe.. the lesson of hard toe/steel toe is a painful one.

wadeintothem Tue Apr 15, 2008 09:02pm

Quote:

They have those in addition to the white/really light grey "N" logo?? Wow. Now I might have to reconsider my stance on these shoes. :rolleyes:

No need to player hate brotha :D

7in60 Tue Apr 15, 2008 09:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadeintothem
Personally I use Gerry Davis shin guards... others will have other recommendations.

Those have a toe guard, right? I think I'd need to go to a shorter shin guard, or a low-cut shoe with my current ones (Wilson West Vest A3409 WV).

wadeintothem Tue Apr 15, 2008 09:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7in60
Those have a toe guard, right? I think I'd need to go to a shorter shin guard, or a low-cut shoe with my current ones (Wilson West Vest A3409 WV).

It's removable (velcro). Nice feature when I am working low level rec or something and dont wear my plate shoes. I just throw on the guard.

I dont know if I am recommending them or not.. at first I didnt like them. Now they are growing on me. The big seller for me on them was the ankle guard. Those are great.

wadeintothem Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:21pm

Quote:

To each his own, but I wouldn't exactly describe a shoe with 3 or 4 huge rivets visible as "sharp looking." :rolleyes:

3 rivets (2 bottom 1 top), exact same size as spotbilts 6 (3 top 3 bottom). I have them side by side comparing them.

Skahtboi Wed Apr 16, 2008 09:12am

Quote:

3 rivets (2 bottom 1 top), exact same size as spotbilts 6 (3 top 3 bottom). I have them side by side comparing them.

I am wondering why either of them need exposed rivets at all. My old Riddell's (man, I wish they still made those) don't have them. There is no need for them.

Dakota Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:12am

Quote:

I've always thought the Spotbilt plate shoes were ugly, because of the rivets. So, I guess the NB is only half ugly! ;)

All personal taste... nothing more.

Skahtboi Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:32am

Quote:

I've always thought the Spotbilt plate shoes were ugly, because of the rivets. So, I guess the NB is only half ugly! ;)

Does that mean that the NB are ug, or are they ly?

Dakota Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:53am

Quote:

Does that mean that the NB are ug, or are they ly?

I'd go with ug... but I guess you can take your pick...

http://www.homevestors.com/images/ug_history2_sm.gif

IRISHMAFIA Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:13pm

Hey, I once dated the Lee twins, Ug & Home.

Skahtboi Wed Apr 16, 2008 01:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Hey, I once dated the Lee twins, Ug & Home.

Did they have sisters named Merry and Happy?