The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Ball hits rubber - bounces (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/43448-ball-hits-rubber-bounces.html)

kono Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:42pm

Ball hits rubber - bounces

Fed rules - Runners on 1st and 2nd. Batted ball hits the pitchers rubber and bounces up and back about 10 feet. F6 cathces the ball and throws to 2nd base where F4 tags the approaching runner, then steps on the base.

Umpires rule - caught fly ball - triple play. :eek:

My DD was coaching the team on offense and was flabbergasted, but since they were up 9-2, decided not to push the issue (instead she called me on the ride home :D )

I can't think of anything that would cause these guys to think that this would be a fly ball, but since I don't do Fed, I told her I would post the play here for confirmation.

shipwreck Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:47pm

They were WRONG. I would like them to try to find anything in the rulebook that would substantiate their ruling. Good luck with that :)

kono Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:58pm

I suggested that her AD should have their association re-educate these guys. :p

NCASAUmp Fri Apr 11, 2008 01:03pm

Sounds like one umpire focused too much on the word "ground," and probably not much else.

CecilOne Fri Apr 11, 2008 01:12pm

I figured it out.

Either:
- the ump thinks the pitcher's plate is a player (see "in flight" definition):eek: :(
or
- the ump did not see the ball hit and thought the batter applied some Willie Mosconi "english" :eek: :(

:confused: :confused: :confused: :D

Dakota Fri Apr 11, 2008 01:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne
- the ump thinks the pitcher's plate is a player (see "in flight" definition):eek: :( ...

That's it.... the feet are part of the plate! Wait... I mean the plate is part of the feet... wait, what about crow hops? ... :)

Dakota Fri Apr 11, 2008 01:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kono
...but since they were up 9-2, decided not to push the issue ...

Well, if it had been 19-2, I might have an explanation for you! :cool:

MichaelVA2000 Fri Apr 11, 2008 01:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota
That's it.... the feet are part of the plate! Wait... I mean the plate is part of the feet... wait, what about crow hops? ... :)

ooOOOOO GREAT, no you've done it.....add another myth to the list!

MGKBLUE Fri Apr 11, 2008 01:37pm

I cannot say I have ever seen a pitchers rubber.

Definately a pitchers plate.

kono Fri Apr 11, 2008 02:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MGKBLUE

I think they are required for coed games :p

NCASAUmp Fri Apr 11, 2008 03:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MGKBLUE

I can say I have, but then again, I used to pitch. That'd make me a pitcher. I'll stop my train of thought there.

CecilOne Sat Apr 12, 2008 08:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota

Best :D of the week :D :D :cool:

CecilOne Sat Apr 12, 2008 09:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by kono
My DD was coaching the team on offense and was flabbergasted, but since they were up 9-2, decided not to push the issue (instead she called me on the ride home :D )

I can't think of anything that would cause these guys to think that this would be a fly ball, but since I don't do Fed, I told her I would post the play here for confirmation.

I'm a little surprised that either of you had to ask, regardless of rule set, but no criticism; just wondering if something similar caused the confusion. :confused:

kono Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne
I'm a little surprised that either of you had to ask, regardless of rule set, but no criticism; just wondering if something similar caused the confusion. :confused:

I think in the back of my mind I was thinking about a ball that hits the front of the rubber and bounces into foul territory. That and the knowledge that Fed in the past has done some very odd things.

Skahtboi Sat Apr 12, 2008 04:41pm

What are all of these rubbers doing on a softball field to begin with?