The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Another Easy Play [probably too easy for this board] (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/4317-another-easy-play-probably-too-easy-board.html)

whiskers_ump Wed Mar 06, 2002 10:03pm

<font color = green>R3 is on 1B, when B4 hits a triple to the right-field fence.
While rounding the bases. R3 missed 2B by half a yard. As
ball comes from outfield to F4, she flips to F6 two steps
from 2B. F6 turns, walks six steps toward F1, in doing so
steps on 2B. The umpire rules R3 out for missing the base.</font>
What do you have??

glen

Roger Greene Wed Mar 06, 2002 10:35pm

Quote:

[
What do you have??

glen [/B]
An old Trooper once told me it takes 4 "atta boy"s in your personell file to make up for one "aw sh*t". I believe this umpire better be looking for some "atta boy"s.

Roger Greene

IRISHMAFIA Wed Mar 06, 2002 11:04pm

Quote:

Originally posted by whiskers_ump
<font color = green>R3 is on 1B, when B4 hits a triple to the right-field fence.
While rounding the bases. R3 missed 2B by half a yard. As
ball comes from outfield to F4, she flips to F6 two steps
from 2B. F6 turns, walks six steps toward F1, in doing so
steps on 2B. The umpire rules R3 out for missing the base.</font>
What do you have??

glen

Not a thing until somebody lets me know what is going on.

oppool Wed Mar 06, 2002 11:58pm

One mad coach I would bet

And then try to cover butt by say something like "coach you didnt hear F6 appeal when he touched 2nd" or correct it and wait for a proper appeal

Don

kchamp Thu Mar 07, 2002 12:19am

By word or by action an appeal needs to be made by the defense.

Kent

greymule Thu Mar 07, 2002 09:27am

But in Fed baseball . . .

The replies are correct. There has to be a definite appeal by the defense. However, in Fed baseball, because in this situation the missed base was one to which the runner was forced, the umpire would call the runner out for missing 2B. This play doesn't have an official name, but it seems to be referred to as the "inadvertent appeal play" on the web, even though it's technically not an appeal, it's just a force.

It is also one of the dumbest rules in the book.

whiskers_ump Thu Mar 07, 2002 11:16am

I knew that that one was going to be too <i>easy</i>

:D :D :D
I will be hitting the field for the first time this
year at 3:00 today. We have a three day HS tourney
I have a relaxed schedule since I have been out due
to injuries. 4 today, 6 tomorrow and 6 again on Sat.
Mostly two ons and one offs set ups.

glen

Roger Greene Thu Mar 07, 2002 11:38am

Greymule,

That is accidential appeal. And it does not apply in Fed, or any, softball. The only game that that appllies to is Fed Baseball.

Now repeat to youself "ACCIDENTIAL APPEALS ARE ONLY IN FED BASEBALL" 50 times. (big G)

Seriously, if you do both Fed baseball and Fed softball there are multiple differences you need to commit to memory. E-mail me and I'll share a list with you. Its only 10 pages long.

Roger Greene

greymule Thu Mar 07, 2002 12:41pm

Yes--Fed baseball only!

Roger:

In my post, I specified that this "accidental appeal," which I called "inadvertent," applied only to Fed baseball, not softball.

IRISHMAFIA Thu Mar 07, 2002 08:36pm

Re: But in Fed baseball . . .

Quote:

Originally posted by greymule
The replies are correct. There has to be a definite appeal by the defense. However, in Fed baseball, because in this situation the missed base was one to which the runner was forced, the umpire would call the runner out for missing 2B. This play doesn't have an official name, but it seems to be referred to as the "inadvertent appeal play" on the web, even though it's technically not an appeal, it's just a force.

It is also one of the dumbest rules in the book.

Really don't care about Fed baseball as the rules are not the same as Fed softball.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sat Mar 09, 2002 10:01am

While I understand that this rule only applies in NFHS Baseball, how can we ignore the fact the F6, while in possesion of a live ball touched second base before R3 touched second base. That seems like a force play to me if there ever was one: If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it must be a duck.

Steve M Sat Mar 09, 2002 12:03pm

Mark,
That's the problem - it didn't "quack" like a duck. F6 has gotta let me know that an appeal is taking place - otherwise, I'm probably not watching. And keep watching, Fed BB is going to change that, they're going to have to.

IRISHMAFIA Sat Mar 09, 2002 01:27pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
While I understand that this rule only applies in NFHS Baseball, how can we ignore the fact the F6, while in possesion of a live ball touched second base before R3 touched second base. That seems like a force play to me if there ever was one: If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it must be a duck.
In ASA, and I believe it is the same in NFHS (Roger?), a runner is considered to have touched any base s/he has passed. This, in effect, eliminates the force out until properly appealed.

Roger Greene Sat Mar 09, 2002 02:19pm

Correct, Mike.

Fed 8-3-4 clairified it this year, although it was implied in the appeal proccedures last year.

Roger Greene

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sat Mar 09, 2002 04:59pm

Quote:

Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:

Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
In ASA, and I believe it is the same in NFHS (Roger?), a runner is considered to have touched any base s/he has passed. This, in effect, eliminates the force out until properly appealed.

Okay, that sounds logical. Thanks for the clarification.