The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Best piece of umpiring advice ever given (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/41672-best-piece-umpiring-advice-ever-given.html)

DaveASA/FED Thu Feb 07, 2008 09:04am

Best piece of umpiring advice ever given

Saw this question on another board (volleyball) and it made me wonder about the answers in the Softball world.

What is the best piece of advice you have ever gotten about officiating? What is something that you have taken to heart and has helped you along the way? Also since a lot of you have been mentors of younger umpires, what is some advice you have given that you have see make a huge impact on up and coming umpires?

Andy Thu Feb 07, 2008 09:25am

The single best piece of advice regarding officiating any sport is in my signature line.

When I started as an official (basketball) 20-some years ago, I thought that I was the man after about two to three years. I knew the rules, I knew the mechanics, I knew the signals, I always made sure my uniform looked sharp.

An older official told me that every good official did those things - what seperates them from that point on is the little things you learn that help you look better and see things on the court better.

Since then, I have always strived to keep learning and trying to get better.

Scooby Thu Feb 07, 2008 09:28am

Slow down. Work on your timing. It makes all the difference int he world.

Stu Clary Thu Feb 07, 2008 09:44am

Know the rules.

Linknblue Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:26pm

People play the game. Treat them with respect even when the don't do it to you. You feel better, almost everyone else will see you as the better person and it will reap dividends the longer you umpire. They remember you down the road for your good acts.

Dholloway1962 Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu Clary
Know the rules.

in addition....know how to apply the rules

archangel Thu Feb 07, 2008 01:11pm

Dont take abuse, but also dont take complaints personal. Its the uniform, not you....
Keep emotions out of it, make calls/rulings with proper mechanics, deal with the situation with professionism....

argodad Thu Feb 07, 2008 01:37pm

Two things from my first mentor:

"If you aren't enjoying yourself, you're doing something wrong."

"First base coaches always signal SAFE." :cool:

greymule Thu Feb 07, 2008 02:17pm

Early in the game, assert your authority and prove that you know what you're doing by throwing some seldom-called technicality at somebody, especially some violation that nobody in the park sees but you. Examples:

1. "Coach, you have to have both feet in the box."
2. "Illegal pitch. The foot was slightly off the ground."
3. "Batter, you stepped out of the box. That's strike 3. You're out."
4. "Runner, in repositioning your foot, you momentarily lost contact with the bag. You're out on the look-back rule."

This always works for me.

NM FP Ump Thu Feb 07, 2008 02:23pm

On bases, hustle to get the right angle, see the play develop, and take your time making the call.

On the dish, YOU set the tempo of the game, so don't rush your calls.

And, of course, know the rules!!!!

JPRempe Thu Feb 07, 2008 02:41pm

It's nothing until you make the call.

Therefore implying that you need to replay everything you see in your mind before making said call...

IRISHMAFIA Thu Feb 07, 2008 03:16pm

When I moved over to softball, the first words out of the instructors mouth were, "No matter what happens or what you hear, don't ever lend money to B.... ........." (name omitted to protect......ME, from a lawsuit).

However, best advice in the world!

MichaelVA2000 Thu Feb 07, 2008 03:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by greymule
Early in the game, assert your authority and prove that you know what you're doing by throwing some seldom-called technicality at somebody, especially some violation that nobody in the park sees but you. Examples:

1. "Coach, you have to have both feet in the box."
2. "Illegal pitch. The foot was slightly off the ground."
3. "Batter, you stepped out of the box. That's strike 3. You're out."
4. "Runner, in repositioning your foot, you momentarily lost contact with the bag. You're out on the look-back rule."

This always works for me.

All great ways of looking for trouble. Why not just bait a coach or player early in the game and then give them the 'ol heave ho. Everyone will see your "authority".

JPRempe Thu Feb 07, 2008 04:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelVA2000
All great ways of looking for trouble. Why not just bait a coach or player early in the game and then give them the 'ol heave ho. Everyone will see your "authority".

Brother, I believe it's called "sarcasm"...

:D

Reffin' Sgt Thu Feb 07, 2008 04:31pm

Slow down. During my first national tournament I had a play at 2nd base. I hesitated, pointed to the tag and was just about ready to call the runner out when I saw the ball on the ground, then I came up with the safe sign. The UIC commented to me about how well I looked on that play; never told him I was going to call him out, but it did reenforced the concept of slowing down and seeing the whole play.